SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Flounder

Cash: 878
Default Miss River ferry question

I have a friend who will be towing his boat down to Venice from Alabama. He was wondering if they would let him go on the ferry from Hwy 39 to Hwy 23 while pulling his 26' boat? Or what is the best route down there since he will be coming thru NO around noon on a Friday.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 10,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Magician View Post
I have a friend who will be towing his boat down to Venice from Alabama. He was wondering if they would let him go on the ferry from Hwy 39 to Hwy 23 while pulling his 26' boat? Or what is the best route down there since he will be coming thru NO around noon on a Friday.
Thanks for the help.
They will but they only allow one boat at a time,so if there are a couple in line ahead of him it would be best to just go around through New Orleans,it takes about an hour a little shorter if you cut through the ninth ward but I don't recommend that!!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

as long as its day light and NOTHING is in the boat that can be grabbed at a red light i always go thru da ninth. but wouldn't recommend it to someone who has never been there
Old 09-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 10,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
as long as its day light and NOTHING is in the boat that can be grabbed at a red light i always go thru da ninth. but wouldn't recommend it to someone who has never been there
Best thing is to go around it,guy walked up to the window in broad daylight asking for money and my buddy put the window down and gave him some,we argued all the way back,never again will I pass through there!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I made deliveries in kenner ,meterie Cbd , upper and lower ninth and chalmette for almost 2 years Had a couple of the street folks i would share a sammich or bottle of water with but never cash.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I made deliveries in kenner ,meterie Cbd , upper and lower ninth and chalmette for almost 2 years Had a couple of the street folks i would share a sammich or bottle of water with but never cash.

Me too, I drove the Overflow French Quarter Route out of Houma for Caro back in the early 2000 before Katrina. I had about 8 stops in the quarter and then I got all the **** stops that the normal drivers in NOLA didnt want to pick up. Day Care Centers in the Middle of B.W. Cooper and Fischer were the worst locations. Circle Food Mart had a whole bunch of homeless behind it. Only time I ever felt uneasy was on Dauphine one morning delivering to the Dauphine Orleans when I was approached by 2 white gutter punks for money and a black security gaurd came and ran them away.

The only thing that would stop me from pulling a boat throught he lower 9 is the condition of the roads.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Magician View Post
Thanks for the help.
I did that once, coming from Pensacola to Port Sulpher. I took Paris Road to Chalmette, then down the river to the Belle Chase Ferry.

My buddies that crossed the bridge to Gretna got to Port Sulpher an hour before I did.

I would only do for scenic purposes.

Crescent City Connection ( Bridge by the Dome) to the West Bank, to Terry Parkway, to Belle Chase Highway. It will get slow close to the dome and on that merge. But faster than sitting in the ferry line, and then not able to board it, and have to wait on the next one.

I am a Gretna Boy.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 878

Thanks guys, I will pass it along to him.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 686

why wouldnt u go through the city and take lafayette st to venice. Alot better than waiting on the ferry. I go through the ninth ward almost every weekend from the westbank to get to hopedale and delacroix and never have had a problem. Its mostly in your head.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Whatever you do, do not take terry parkway. Ive seen it suggested when googling directions and its the worst road to pull any boat down.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
Whatever you do, do not take terry parkway. Ive seen it suggested when googling directions and its the worst road to pull any boat down.
Now that you mention it, I have to agree. Last Time I rode that street, it was like riding a bull, and I was in car, not pulling a vessel.

Yep Lafayette Street exit would be a better ride, this street turns into Belle Chasse Highway, and then it does intersect with Terry Parkway.