SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400
Default Afternoon Gobbler 3-23

After ripping the hide off the turkey from the morning, went home took a nap and rested. Called Top Dawg to see if he wanted to go back and try to get another one. We both didn't feel like going back but we said at least we can put one to bed to get on him in the morning. We get to the lease and there's not many turkeys out on the food plots and somebody hunting on almost every one of em. Well the good lord provided again. A big gobbler was sittin on a plot right off the main road, by himself, just struttin his stuff and there was nobody hunting that plot. We stopped the truck and glassed him and he's a nice one but the truck spooked him so he turned tail and started running away. We drove all the way around and got on the other side of the food plot to try and cut him off. We're walkin down the plot and this crow caws and makes this Tom gobble. Try to get a little closer and he gobbles again. Make a quick yelp and he cuts us off and gives a big thunder gobble. So we decide to setup and get ready cause he's coming! So I sit down and get in position and immediately feel like something isn't right. I look and I have ants crawling all over me. I'm completely covered. I get up and look down and I sat square down on an ant hill. So I get up and move to a new spot and brush off as many critters as I could. I get set up in a new spot and I'm doin the "ants in my pants dance". This turkey is gobblin to every call and even gobblin on his own. He's smoking hot. I can't sit still, I can see ants crawling all over me, and they're starting to bite. Top Dawg whispers don't move there he is. I look and he's coming our way, strutting the whole way. He's taking his sweet time makin his way to us. He's within 25 yards but to the right of my muzzle. By now there's ants all the way up my arms between my sleeves, they're crawling across my mask, across my eyebrows, down the barrel of the gun and getting on my face, and biting me everywhere you can imagine. I just want this turkey to walk in front of my gun so I can end this agony. He finally gets in front of the gun, and he's in full strut. I mean he's trying to poke every feather out as far as he could. He's steady drumming and spitting. My heart was beating like a jack rabbit. He finally barely comes out of strut and turns broadside and I let the 3 1/2" go to his earhole! We both jumped up, Top Dawg jumped up to celebrate, I jumped up to get these furious critters off of every square inch of body. Unfortunately couldn't get this one on film because everything happened so fast, it woulda been perfect too. Sorry for the long story, it's one I'll never forget. Thank God for this day, it's gonna be a tough one to top.

20 lbs. 3/4" spurs. 8 1/2" beard.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

So y'all both killed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Yea we each put one down yesterday. What a great way to start the season.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Man that's awesome. Congrats. Couple nice birds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

nice bird
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Nice thunder chicken
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Nice job guys. I'm sitting in the woods on a piece in LA I haven't hunted yet this year. My dad heard 4 or 5 yesterday of course I haven't heard jack.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Nice job guys. I'm sitting in the woods on a piece in LA I haven't hunted yet this year. My dad heard 4 or 5 yesterday of course I haven't heard jack.
Good luck. Hope u get on em!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Great story man. That's Hilarious. I got in ants like that on a rice field levee this year. That sucks bad. Congrats to you both.