SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182
Default Quiet Turkey season

This Turkey season has been a quiet one for me. I scouted 5 times, starting at daylight each time and hunted opening lottery day at Clear Creek and never heard a gobble. I did see turkey several times along the roads and saw a fair amount of signs that turkey were in the areas I checked.

After hunting 12+ hours on opening day, my years of turkey hunting enthusiasm were starting to dwindle. With CC closed for me until Apr. 1, I decided to make a trip to Sherburne. After reading that people hunting there were not hearing much gobbling, I opted to wait until Wednesday [the last day] to go.

The winds were calm but the temperature was cold……~ 35 F that morning. Just as it was getting light, I heard the first faint gobble of my season a good ways off. As I got ready to walk, he gobbled again. This time I got a better idea of his location and he was not that far away. I knew these woods well and knew about where the Tom was and headed that direction. To the north of his location it was fairly open so I opted to set up to his northeast. There was some fairly thick brush between me and the turkey which allowed me to set up unseen about 150 yards away in a nice clearing next to a large oak tree.

By the time I got ready to make my first call, the Tom had gobbled 6 or 8 times. When I made the first yelps, he gobbled back. OK…….he knew where I was so the waiting game started. In the next 10 minutes he gobbled several more times while staying in the same spot. Because I was walking during his first several gobbles I was not sure if he was still in a tree or was on the ground.

I made one more short series of calls and he gobbled back from the same spot. Then several minutes later the gobble came more from the south of me and maybe a little closer. I think he just had flown down from the roost. Another gobble confirmed that he was indeed closer so I turned a little to the left to have the gun ready.
While frozen in position waiting to see what he would do, I heard some noise coming from my right. I very slowly turned to look and saw 3 deer running toward the south, 30 yards away. I think it was 2 does and a yearling. The last deer stopped for a second to look back. I then turned back towards the right and here come a 4 pt. buck chasing the does. This is March 27…..and the buck is in rut!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the gobbling Tom. Where the deer were headed would take them 50 yards [or less] from where the Tom last gobbled. What would the Tom do after the deer ran past him???? I got the answer a couple minutes later when he gobbled again back near where he started gobbling at daylight. By then I figured I needed to remind him that a “love” hen was still calling to him. He gobbled back. This time he had moved to the north some. Another gobble told me that he was still headed north staying 150+ yards away.

I sat waiting, wondering……..could he be with hens? Would he keep moving north? If so, should I make a move to try to get in front of where I thought they might be headed? The next gobble told me what I needed to do. Stay put…….he had come closer.

As I waited……..I was excited as if this was my first ever Tom, when in fact I have kill several in this general area. This is why I love to hunt turkey. The rush, knowing one wrong movement could mean the Tom might win this encounter. Then a couple minutes later, I catch a glimpse of his red head coming through the “Yellow” flowers about 50 yards away. I had already picked out several trees to estimate when he would be in range. I would make a 40 yards shot if he stopped coming in but I really like shooting under 35 yards. I passed on taking the shot at the first opening because he was steadily come closer. He stopped about 30 yards out……but no shot. He stood there for what seemed like 5 minutes [really just 30+ seconds] before he took a couple more steps and stopped again to look for the hen.

There was a small branch from a fallen limb partially blocking his neck but not enough to prevent a good shot……BOOM. Flop, Flop, bird down.

The Tom was a Jake that weighted 14 lbs. and had a 4” beard, killed at 7:30 AM. My Tom was the 9 bird killed at Sherburne this season. Two of the kills were mature birds and 7 were Jakes.

I hope I never get tired of Turkey hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom dripping.jpg (86.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Jake 3-27-13.jpg (112.0 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Gerald; 03-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

I went this week also and didn't hear a thing
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Nice bird and great story
Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

alot of hunters checking in and out of Ft Polk. 4 birds killed here that are counted for as of this morning per Game Warden. I've been on a group since opening day, but other there are "potlickers" in the woods that follow you to your "spot" and follow u in and try to take "your" birds from you.... makes no sense as there an estimated 400,000 birds (fish and game biologist told me this #) on Ft. Polk. Average, 1-300 people hunt here weekly total.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
alot of hunters checking in and out of Ft Polk. 4 birds killed here that are counted for as of this morning per Game Warden. I've been on a group since opening day, but other there are "potlickers" in the woods that follow you to your "spot" and follow u in and try to take "your" birds from you.... makes no sense as there an estimated 400,000 birds (fish and game biologist told me this #) on Ft. Polk. Average, 1-300 people hunt here weekly total.
Maybe 4 thousand and that would still be a big stretch for Fort Polk. There must be some confusion on what he said?
Not sure the acreage of Ft Polk but if its 100,000 acres that would mean four birds per acre There wouldn't be a grasshopper on the entire base

The whole state of Louisiana is estimated to have 80 thousand turkeys

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/program/turkey
Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Great White

apparently he isnt that much of a reliable source then. He said four hundred thousand...... hmmmm makes me wonder as i've head only a few flocks.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Yeah, no way that number is accurate. Even in prime Turkey habitat, you wont have 4 turkeys to an acre. I don't care who you are, cause I know some people that will argue it is possible. My parents live on an acre, and I can tell you, there ain't no way 4 turkeys could live on an acre unless it was Turkey heaven. In a perfect world, I think a couple hundred acres would suffice.

I would bet 4000 is even a bit of a stretch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Great White

like i said.... i didnt believe it, just relaying his information... maybe 4,000 between Kisatche and Ft. Polk ??
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
like i said.... i didnt believe it, just relaying his information... maybe 4,000 between Kisatche and Ft. Polk ??
That would make sense to me. Still seems like it may be a little high, but that is very good Turkey range and produces top 5 harvests just about every year. Vernon parish period is one of the best Turkey ranges in the state. Lot of good timber management goes on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Nice kill ray!! I went and checked out a new spot today I've never been too. Heard one gobble way off one time. And then went riding around checking out the woods. Saw one hen a couple deer and found some beautiful woods. Anxious to get back and have a hunt instead of a scout!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I mean Gerald lol
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

There is nothing like Turkey hunting!