SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831
Default Son want to join Military

My son just told me about 30 minutes ago that he would like to join the National Guard. My initial reaction is not very good right now, I don't like the idea at all.

What have you other guys experienced ???? Is my reaction normal?

He will be 18 in Msy.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

what type of unit or mos is he looking at
Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
what type of unit or mos is he looking at
I have no idea. The conversation did not last very long. I'm stuck on the road and figured if I didn't have any good thing to say to him then I would just keep my mouth shut. I told him I supported him in whatever he wants but I also said I did not like his idea.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

corporate america is going to hell and college is a rip off half the time
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Yes LA your correct but the LA National Gaurd is kinda like the Army's cannon fodder.
Had lots of friends join, and they were the 1st to be sent to the sand when it hit the fan.

What about the Coast Gaurd?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
King Mackeral

i was in it and my dad didn't want me to join. but i used it to pay for college. I joined and was an 11b (infantry). i would not recomend this mos. there are alot of jobs that are alot safer. and would benefit you more when you get out..... If you or him want any answers about any of it don't go to a recruitor they are a salesman and lie. he can go to a unit and watch them drill. this may change his mind.

sorry that i cant' be much help on your side of it. never been put in this position. but i would probly be scared. if he does decide to join. tell him to call me and i will tell him what exactly he is getting in to before he does. 6 years is along time
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Yes LA your correct but the LA National Gaurd is kinda like the Army's cannon fodder.
Had lots of friends join, and they were the 1st to be sent to the sand when it hit the fan.

What about the Coast Gaurd?
That is what I'm worried about..
Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
i was in it and my dad didn't want me to join. but i used it to pay for college. I joined and was an 11b (infantry). i would not recomend this mos. there are alot of jobs that are alot safer. and would benefit you more when you get out..... If you or him want any answers about any of it don't go to a recruitor they are a salesman and lie. he can go to a unit and watch them drill. this may change his mind.

sorry that i cant' be much help on your side of it. never been put in this position. but i would probly be scared. if he does decide to join. tell him to call me and i will tell him what exactly he is getting in to before he does. 6 years is along time
Thanks for the offer....I told him this evening I want him to hear both sides of the story before he makes up his mind....
Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

I have a good buddy that is over there now. he is about fed up with it also, I understand that it might be a good thing if you dont have a family, and dont plan on making money. I understand that when he gets out, he will have to start all over by looking for a job, and begining his life all over again..
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
King Mackeral

my unit has went once and they are fixing to go again. if they haven't left yet
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default reserves

i was regular not reserves . but if he has the grades and the scores on his asvabs talk him into joining the USAF reserves.
Alot less likely to be boots in the sand on the line.
Not that there's anything wrong w/ infantry or the devil dogs.
Liked having them boys down there when one of ours caught a missle.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

AF or Navy reserves...he won't be getting shot at and still will be able to get his college $$
Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Definatly air force for the education........I enlisted infantry cause that's what I wanted to do.....if you don't want him to go and tell him so, he may resent you for it(experience here, me and my dad). Your gonna walk a fine line here...........if you tell him you don't like it, will he do it to spite you? Like Adam said, you can have him call me too.........Tim
Old 03-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

If you can talk him into it, Coast Guard. Alot safer and helping people out that are in dire need, I wanted to go to the USMC for a while and my parents talked me out of it. Im glad they did but the coast guard wouldve definitely been the way to go if I were to join
Old 03-16-2010, 05:16 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,025

Unfortunatelly, we are all getting shot at over there, so don't think the AF or Navy or that much safer. The best thing (if you can call it a "best thing") about the Air Force is that the deployments are"only" 6 months. The last time I was in Iraq, I was taking care of 20 year old soldiers that were on their 2nd 15 month deployment. Now there are guys that are on their 3rd or 4th. Speaking as a long-term player, when my boys are old enough to ask me about the military I will advise them to look elsewhere. I am proud of the time I've served, but I wouldn't join for lack of a better job.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

talk to bayoubadon. hes in the guard and over der now..but he loves it..
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

I was active duty in the Corps for 5 years, and I don't regret it one minute. However, I went into aviation and was a hydraulics/structural mechanic on the F/A-18 hornet. The military is a good thing if you use it wisely. A military career isn't all that bad depend on MOS choice and tech skill. Just my .02.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I was in the National Guard from 87-93. I was in a Combat Heavy Engineering Unit. We built MSR's (roads), construction and so on. My unit got activated for DS1 in the early 90's for 7 months and I spent 4 in Saudi. However, I never thought our unit would get called. At the time, it sucked because I wanting to finish college but afterwards I felt differently. Also, the nice part about getting activated being in the guard is that you get the "Veteran Status". I used the VA load when I bought my 1st house while living in Houston years ago. Also, when you are in the guard (while in college) you get the school paid for, GI Bill, drill check, plus student loan repayments. If you serve in the guard and never get activated for duty you are not a VET.....go figure. I usually see our old Batallion Commander in the newspapers since he is now the head General of the guard.....Bennett Landreneau....
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 AM
The Camp Cook....

Thanks guys...I'll be heading back home a little learly today for discussions on this. I have his college paid for so that should not be an issue for him wanting to join.

I guess he just wants to do it.

He is my only son and best friend. It just scares the hell out of me. I may have gotten 2 hours of sleep last night.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Flounder

Cash: 584

My oldest son joined the National Guard around 03 to help with college and it did,but he was sent to Iraq in 04-05. He was over there during the first elections that they had and it was crazy, he had to be out on patrol 18 hrs. day for the whole year, he got shot at, bombed,ran over and lost 2 good friends. He got wounded in the head with 1 month left over there. When he got back home they did surgery at Fort Polk and he stayed there for a while. My wife and I did not sleep 2 hours for the whole year. I can't even remember what I did at work,hunting,fishing that year. He lost 2 years of college while he was gone. He started back at school where he left off and the college fund helped him out but he got out of the Guard last Feb. Not to have to go back to Iraq (which they just left last week), well now he has to work 2 jobs and the money I help him with just to get by and finish school. So I would have a long,long talk with him before you all make a very hard decision.