SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486
Default Boat selling consignment wuestion

Say you brought a boat to a shop at the end of last summer, told them you wanna get it cleaned up and see if they can sell if for you.
They say okay, you hear nothing more until today.
You get a call from shop "we sold the boat," tells you what somebody not you agreed to, and that they (the shop) did repairs which amounted to 25% of the boat's "worth" (or at least a price that was agreed to not by you),
and they'll be taking a fee which amounts to 15% of the boat's "worth."
And here you are, thinking "man, they're making 40% and I'm making 60% of this "worth" that didn't include my opinion or even my knowing."

What would you do, and is that how boat consignments usually work?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

What repairs did they do? Did you agree to the repairs?

You should have given a minimum price you would accept? Did it sell within your expected range?

If the answer is yes, then it sounds legit. Your boat is never worth what you think it is.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Did you authorize the repairs?? Did U give them a minimum you would take for the boat??

Did U see the "repair" bill??? U get anything in writing??

If not?? Sounds like u don't have to sell boat.. Make them show U what they did to boat?

Tune-up?? Chance out tanks etc. Bigger problems? ETC.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

what you said to them is important, did you say "fix what needs fixing" or "clean it up and do whatever you need to to sell it" or anything remotely close to that?

if so, then you implied they had permission for any repairs "they" deemed needed to sell it.

they might also be adding something in there for storing your boat for a whole year as well while it was there and lastly, if you didn't agree on a minimum price they yes, they had the right to determine "fair market value" and sell it for that.

before we get too far into this, and leaving the repair costs and 15% cut for selling it as a separate issue, tell us what year and model boat and motor you had and what it sold for and we can at least give you an opinion if that's sounds like a fair selling price.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Tripletail

Never authorized any repairs, gave instructions the let me know before doing anything to it, posting sale price, anything, never heard until a phone call came. Never had anything on paper.
Good news is nothing is done because nothing has been signed.

The purpose of the post was just to see if anyone had had similar experience or a different experience selling on consignment to which I could compare this situation.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

certainly sounds like unauthorized repairs then, did you speak to the owner of the dealership to discuss this?

if they are a reputable business I think something can be worked out on labor costs since you never authorized they do any repairs but im sure he will insist on full price for any parts used and that's only fair since without repairs it most likely wouldn't have sold in the first place.

as to the price it sold for, most boats sell for way way less then owners "think" they should be worth which is why I keep asking for those details so we can give you opinions if the price sounds right.

the sale might be a good sale price depending on what you had so what are those details?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 PM
Tripletail

The right way to do it would be the parts should come at cost and the labor should be zero.