SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192
Default Well, I canceled My reservations in Grand Isle......lookin at Galveston...

Havent been that far west since childhood......Should I bring the boat? Will Snapper season be open in June? How far out are they? I looked at a NOAA map of the area, looks like good wading over there........

Looks like the Texans worst nightmares are coming true????

Invasion of the Cajuns!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

some of my buddies are fishing in GI right now!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

We have a camp rented for June 3-6, not sure if we're gonna still go or not. Also have reservations in Gulf Shores for August 5-8, not sure about that one either.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
some of my buddies are fishing in GI right now!
Hope they are not fishing the gulf side. I was there all weekend watching them pull booms across both passes which are now probably closed to recreation boats. Saw a offshore boat come in with 10 big yellow fin tuna and 2 AJ's but their boat was coated in oil. Also watched the national guard bull dozing sand into te cuts leading from the bay into elmers island. I guess they were trying to land loc elmers island to prevent oil from getting in but not positive. Talk about some depressed people over there right now. The trout fishing was very slow all weekend.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
Hope they are not fishing the gulf side. I was there all weekend watching them pull booms across both passes which are now probably closed to recreation boats. Saw a offshore boat come in with 10 big yellow fin tuna and 2 AJ's but their boat was coated in oil. Also watched the national guard bull dozing sand into te cuts leading from the bay into elmers island. I guess they were trying to land loc elmers island to prevent oil from getting in but not positive. Talk about some depressed people over there right now. The trout fishing was very slow all weekend.

The lady I talked to didnt sound very happy.......I almost payed for the rooms even though I wasnt going to be there..........In a storm, they have Ins. money to fall back on..........they have no way to make a living with a disaster like this.........
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
The lady I talked to didnt sound very happy.......I almost payed for the rooms even though I wasnt going to be there..........In a storm, they have Ins. money to fall back on..........they have no way to make a living with a disaster like this.........
I was sitting at Sand Dollar Marina saturday morning at the outside bar drinking a bloody mary watching the news and they had a bunch of the captains around. When they said the dome failed I honestly thought some of those men were going to cry. I felt really bad for them.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

they fished the surf and side of road. said they caught 1 trout and 1 flounder all weekend. i guess with the closures u will still be able to surf fish?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
they fished the surf and side of road. said they caught 1 trout and 1 flounder all weekend. i guess with the closures u will still be able to surf fish?

This was a family vacation.........I'm not letting the kids swim in that water, and I'm sure not eating the fish that are so close to the oil.................You MAY be able to fish the surf, but I'm not risking it..........
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Quote:
Havent been that far west since childhood......Should I bring the boat? Will Snapper season be open in June? How far out are they? I looked at a NOAA map of the area, looks like good wading over there........

Looks like the Texans worst nightmares are coming true????

Invasion of the Cajuns!!!
Dink,

I live about 20 minutes from Galveston and have been fishing the Galveston Bay complex all my life. I'd be happy to help you out or point you in the right direction for inshore fishing. I could probably get you some info on the offshore stuff, too.

Y'all cajuns are welcome this way anytime. One day the shoe will be on the other foot and I'll be coming over invading your honey holes (heck, I do that already).

If I can help out, send me an E-mail: jason@texastacklefactory.com

Oh, and it all depends on what you want to spend, but if you're splurging and want to stay in a resort style atmosphere, look at the San Luis resort on the Seawall in Galveston. Once every few months my wife and I go down there and just stay a night. It's a top-notch place.

www.SanLuisResort.com
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Red Snapper

I'm pretty sure everything on the gulf side is closed now. You can still fish the bays and the side of the road though.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Dink ,
My brother went down this weekend and the only room he could find was at rickys motel. Everything from leeville to G.I. was booked up.
Oil folks ,news folks and workers all got the rooms booked.
He caught a few reds 1 trout and a flounder out of 1 hole off the road . nothing in front or behind the island.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTTF View Post
Dink,

I live about 20 minutes from Galveston and have been fishing the Galveston Bay complex all my life. I'd be happy to help you out or point you in the right direction for inshore fishing. I could probably get you some info on the offshore stuff, too.

Y'all cajuns are welcome this way anytime. One day the shoe will be on the other foot and I'll be coming over invading your honey holes (heck, I do that already).

If I can help out, send me an E-mail: jason@texastacklefactory.com

Oh, and it all depends on what you want to spend, but if you're splurging and want to stay in a resort style atmosphere, look at the San Luis resort on the Seawall in Galveston. Once every few months my wife and I go down there and just stay a night. It's a top-notch place.

www.SanLuisResort.com

I appreciate it......thank you......I just got off the phone with Ya'lls WL&F folks......Looks like 16 bucks a day!!! Not bad at all!! And I didn't know your snapper dont have a season!! But looking at the charts, looks like a LONG boat ride to get to them.........As the time gets closer, I will send a PM or email...........Thanks again.......Tim

As far as the resort goes, I got 3 kids.......They don't have enough insurance to cover the tornado that is Jacob and Nic.......Goin for more of a Holiday Inn or somethin so we can spend more on activities........
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
The way i understand it is w/ this closure the beach is closed also.
The only fishing that is open at this time is from the island north .
I talked to a guide in G.I. this am who said he is fishing today and tomorrw and has told his charters that it will be day by day after tue as the oil may come into the passes by latter this week.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Blue Marlin

Pls excuse My ignorance here, but any where on the island I need to be aware of before booking a hotel?? i.e. lots of bars, lots of mexicans, crime, etc......? Dont want the kids to be woken up 15 times a night........
Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
This was a family vacation.........I'm not letting the kids swim in that water, and I'm sure not eating the fish that are so close to the oil.................You MAY be able to fish the surf, but I'm not risking it..........

Dink did you really mean that?? Do you eat saltwater fish??? If you do the Mercury level in fish is 10xs more harmful than this oil is...
\

nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. For most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet, some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system. The risks from mercury in fish and shellfish depend on the amount of fish and shellfish eaten and the levels of mercury in the fish and shellfish. Therefore, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are advising women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury. By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.
  1. Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
  2. Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
    • Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    • Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
  3. Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Blue Marlin

Kids coming out of the water with oil on their skin and eating fish don't coinside..............And personal preference on the not wanting the fish that are close to the oil.......Scientist said it'll make them taste bad...........
Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Kids coming out of the water with oil on their skin and eating fish don't coinside..............And personal preference on the not wanting the fish that are close to the oil.......Scientist said it'll make them taste bad...........

He lied...*I will do a taste test with them!!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Blue Marlin

Your the one that posted the article!!!!!

Heres link................
The Conservationist's Corner: Oil-tainted fish not a health hazard, professor says - SaltyCajun.com
Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Quote:
Pls excuse My ignorance here, but any where on the island I need to be aware of before booking a hotel?? i.e. lots of bars, lots of mexicans, crime, etc......? Dont want the kids to be woken up 15 times a night........
Any place ON the island itself will be fine. Although, you may have a difficult time finding a budget hotel around there. Honestly, being a local, I've never paid much attention to the presence of chain hotels on the island, so I can't tell you how many are down there or not.

If we go down there to stay we usually go with a condo or small beach house. There are hundreds you can rent, and some are pretty reasonable. So, if you strike out on a hotel, don't hesitate to start looking at condos or houses.

Regarding the snaps, you can get them closer than you think. Just remember that in terms of a season, we have our state laws and then the federal laws (like anybody). Of course, federally, there is a season and the limits vary.

I know you'd probably prefer to take your own rig, but if you just want to get the kiddos on a bunch of fish you might want to consider booking a trip on one of the many party boats that go out of Galveston. I've been a few times, and while it might get a little boring hauling in snapper after snapper for older folks, the kids have an absolute blast.

This is the company I've been with before: www.galvestonpartyboatsinc.com

Here are some other suggestions for fun activities you can do with the kids:
Duck Boat tour (it's a truck that's also a boat, the guy literally drives off the road into the water - it freaks the kids out, haha)
http://www.galveston.com/ducktours/

The Schlitterbahn waterpark is pretty cool for the kids, too.

And, in my opinion, the Moody Gardens pyramids are a MUST see. My wife and I go about once a year, and it never gets old for us. The aquarium pyramid is my favorite. You can kill a whole day here. Think of it like a zoo but WAY more fun.

I could go on, but here's a concise list of lots of things to do on the island: http://www.galveston.com/whattodo/
Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Blue Marlin

Man, you rock!! Thanks alot!!!