SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Hairout People this day and age have No Clue

Boy This really pisses me off bad........... Someone contacted Law enforcement that a farmers cows were being neglected... Due to a few of his cows dieing!!!.......

Now if anyone knows a tenth about Cows and winter they would know how hard it is on the animal and farmer to keep them healty..Then with a winter like this where you have had 7 to 14 days in a row of temps never getting out of the 50's and lows in the 30's with snow to add..... There is only so much you can do to protect your animals in this weather!. We raised cows growing up and lost them to cold and hot weather but didn't mean we neglected them at all............. I would love to take some of these people who Bit&H and let them take care of a heard of cows in a winter like this.....

He is the story...Unreal

Farmer Suspected of Animal Neglect
A man in Saint Mary Parish could face criminal charges, after an investigation which is going on at his cattle farm.
The man in question is being investigated by the sheriff's office because of pictures of sickly, and dead animals, who some say fell victim to neglect.
While many of the animals on the property do appear healthy, others look sickly and skinny. But the property owner says he's everything he can to keep them healthy.
I'm doing everything humanly possible to take care of my stock. Dogs get fed, everything I own gets fed. I just got a reputation of doing that.
The Cattle Farmer tells us he's been in the business for more than 40 years, and says he's never seen a winter that's had such a devastating effect on his livestock.
"December, it just flooded and flooded, right now you see the water, and I don't know what else to do. He says some animals died from getting bogged down in the mud, but as for those lying lifeless in the photos, he says he did everything he could.
Sheriff David Naquin says the investigation will take some time, but it will determine if the farmer faces felony or misdemeanor charges or none at all
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

its pitiful that he has to go through this, but I doubt anything would happen to him other than a headache from dealing with this. There will be too many farmers and experts in the field to back him up
Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

Don't let Al Gore get a hold of this article. You know what he will do with it.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Redfish

Cash: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
It was on our news tonight. They showed a cow that had been stuck in the mud and stayed there for 4 days and he didnt do nothing to try and get it out.Now I say that is pretty crappy cattle farmer.
Remember what news channel that is D, they didn't get that story from the cattleman(maybe Shawn knows a little about that) it came second hand from others and I think that was in Allen Parish. Also people have run out of hay due to rains in the fall hampering baleing and the long wet, cold winter believe me I sale hay and my phone rings everyday with someone looking for hay. And I do agree D if this cow was down 4 days it is wrong.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,119

It doesn't matter what the weather conditions have been, If you own these animals then it is your responsibility to take care of them, food, shelter, medicine whatever. If you can't then you need to sell them.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Redfish

Cash: 699

Can't give them away right know, and weather has alot to do with it, hay was not in great abundance, just couldn't get in the fields to bale it.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

As someone who has been around cows all my life.......I can tell you we have lost cows in mud,rain,cold,heat and just sick..... you cant keep a eye on these animals 24/7 and a cow stuck in mud for 4 days is probably not true...... Just hear say...... When you have the amount of rain and cold we have had....Hay Hay Hay is about all you can do..... Your not going to be able to work or move these cattle in those conditions unless you have tractors to pull trailers ......

1999 was drought year....you could of had a river running thought your farm but cows died...... Guy I was farming for lost about 30 that year.... We were there everyday....NO Grass, No relief from heat, Ground Hard as rock......

It all a part of life....... If the Farmer said he done all he could do i would believe him.............Plus your not going to spend 1,000 of dollars having vet camp out and baby a cow just to make it thought the winter....Its call survival of the fittest...

If he put out Hay..and they had water to drink...He has done his job....thats the bottom line...Noting else you can do
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I know a lot of people who moved cows for Rita and had to sell cause they had no fences down south afterwards.
You can't keep your cattle on someone elses land forever.
If you don't have grass and don't want to feed, sell them.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

"W" - your barking up the wrong tree on this one!!! I to was raised w/ cattle and know quite a bit about them. This story is horrible, and not because the authorities got involved with a "few" sick cows. This guy abandoned over 200 head on a small tract of pasture. He could not sell them in the condition they were in, then the winter got worse (rain/cold) and he apparently could not afford to put them on hay.

I know the state vet that has been working on this to get them either well enough to go to the sale barn, or put them down. This was not a case of the government stepping on someones rights. It was the government stepping in because some A-hole doesn't have the capability of taking care of a herd of cattle. This old guy says he got sick and asked someone to take care of them while he was down. Problem is, these animals have basically been starving for 2 months and wasting away.

"W", this was not a couple of sick cows that died in the field and he decided not to bury. This is a whole herd that really should be put down, - it's that bad!!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

You guys seem to forget W is a "Conservtionist".
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
"W" - your barking up the wrong tree on this one!!! I to was raised w/ cattle and know quite a bit about them. This story is horrible, and not because the authorities got involved with a "few" sick cows. This guy abandoned over 200 head on a small tract of pasture. He could not sell them in the condition they were in, then the winter got worse (rain/cold) and he apparently could not afford to put them on hay.

I know the state vet that has been working on this to get them either well enough to go to the sale barn, or put them down. This was not a case of the government stepping on someones rights. It was the government stepping in because some A-hole doesn't have the capability of taking care of a herd of cattle. This old guy says he got sick and asked someone to take care of them while he was down. Problem is, these animals have basically been starving for 2 months and wasting away.

"W", this was not a couple of sick cows that died in the field and he decided not to bury. This is a whole herd that really should be put down, - it's that bad!!

The news said only a hand full like about 5 cows dead and the Farmer was interview and he did not mention anything about being sick.....and said the cows were hayed everyday since Nov....
he said his pasture ground was flooded for about one week.....

Just from what the news said and the farmer..... It seemed like a peta Story....dont know....the guy but 40years of cattle farming....just to let it go?????
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

W would you watch my wife's dog when we go out of town???? I hate that dog........
Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=12053362
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

There's a lot more to the story, too long to type!!!! Out of 200, I think they will save about 50-75. They had already had 22 dead when he got there.

The real problem here is the media. I hate the media, all of them, and their reporting is what causes things like this. Jeremy "went off" being he thought the cattle rancher was getting a bad rap from the government. It all goes to how they paint a picture. I hate them, but especially TV-10 & TV-3. These guys would always suck our butt wanting information when we had a bad accident or went serve warrants wanting a camera there. I can remember being interviewed after a large bust on I-10 one night. The next week the same reporter is all up in someone's house who got a lawyer saying he was "abused" by the police. They made us look like a bunch of criminals because some crackhead didn't put a knife down after being told 37 times. I should have shot the SOB, but all the training nowadays makes you scared to pull the trigger! That's why I got out of it. The media uses emotions for their stories and turn them the way they want to!

Let me get off this soap box, I'm getting dizzy!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
There's a lot more to the story, too long to type!!!! Out of 200, I think they will save about 50-75. They had already had 22 dead when he got there.

The real problem here is the media. I hate the media, all of them, and their reporting is what causes things like this. Jeremy "went off" being he thought the cattle rancher was getting a bad rap from the government. It all goes to how they paint a picture. I hate them, but especially TV-10 & TV-3. These guys would always suck our butt wanting information when we had a bad accident or went serve warrants wanting a camera there. I can remember being interviewed after a large bust on I-10 one night. The next week the same reporter is all up in someone's house who got a lawyer saying he was "abused" by the police. They made us look like a bunch of criminals because some crackhead didn't put a knife down after being told 37 times. I should have shot the SOB, but all the training nowadays makes you scared to pull the trigger! That's why I got out of it. The media uses emotions for their stories and turn them the way they want to!

Well if thats the case yea it should be look at...but from what i read and heard by the Media I thought they were giving this guy the PETA ROUND....... As you know Cows die and in this kind of winter I can only image trying to keep up with 50 to 100 cows.....im sure anyone who raised cattle lost some this year!!!! Some types of cattle were bring into LA are not fit for the cold weather just as some are not fit for the Hot Summer..... We tried breeding some Charolais Bulls to some F1s and they were dying off because of heat stokes....We had to add more Bulls to keep up because some many cows were coming into heat....Bulls Were dying from Breeding to much...... Lost about 12 Charolais....that summer
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:

media is so bad that they can screw up a wet dream, they report what sells and remember that, thats all I'm going to say, as far as this particular story I have no knowledge on.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I tell you want needs to happen......If the media would come accuse me of something I would whip Dat Azz and then they can accuse me of that!!!! End Of Story
Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I tell you want needs to happen......If the media would come accuse me of something I would whip Dat Azz and then they can accuse me of that!!!! End Of Story
Yep, and you would be on one of these and have to clean and cook for you new man..........

Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 653

My BBQ pit will defrost them nicely
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

If you have sick or weak cows, this was a bad year for you.
Cold winters can kill a lot of weak cows. Expecially them long eared humped mean sumbiches.