SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 572

MarshRat you mad huh !!! You must support DU that figures ! Get them numbers for me Han.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter View Post
MarshRat you mad huh !!! You must support DU that figures ! Get them numbers for me Han.
Nobody made here bro. I'm Actually Laughing my *** off at your dumba$$ statements. So tell us Tweaker where do you get your info from? One of philosophical meth head buddies?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

IS THIS GOING TO BE ANOTHER ROCK DOG THREAD?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Lawd! No ducks got ya'll nin-jas HOT! Just like someone said earlier, when duck hunting slows down I start deer hunting about the middle of the season. By January, it picks up again and we start shooting em good again.

We had a good/fair season this year in PI. We didn't hunt nearly as much as we used to though.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

DU did a lot on the West side of Hwy 27 on Miami Corp land.
It is private property, but it is big duck area. And a lot of $$$ was spent on that side of the road.
I don't support them either. I have had a few not so good issues with some of the DU people in the late 80's.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Raymond. I saw the "Rock Dawg", personally... Dat was so funny ****. Erry body fell down laughing.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I have issues with DU but it is from a "volunteer" position.
Regardless of you stance in respects to "what does DU do for ME (louisiana)" they have saved and or raised more ducks than any individual could ever possibly raise/save.

Just the general awareness of our sport is what they do best.
I support Delta Waterfowl and DU.

I can take the "my blind or no blind" approach, but the greater good is well..............the greater good.

The Louisiana duck hunter has had more natural priviledge than just about any duck hunter in the country..............things are changing in front of our eyes and many seek to blame something or someone, but the it's a combination of many things and many people.

When I visit other places and people around the country, a 30 ducks killed season to many is spectacular..........we want to see that in one hunt.

bottom line is support the ducks, one way or another.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
I have issues with DU but it is from a "volunteer" position.
Regardless of you stance in respects to "what does DU do for ME (louisiana)" they have saved and or raised more ducks than any individual could ever possibly raise/save.

Just the general awareness of our sport is what they do best.
I support Delta Waterfowl and DU.

I can take the "my blind or no blind" approach, but the greater good is well..............the greater good.

The Louisiana duck hunter has had more natural priviledge than just about any duck hunter in the country..............things are changing in front of our eyes and many seek to blame something or someone, but the it's a combination of many things and many people.

When I visit other places and people around the country, a 30 ducks killed season to many is spectacular..........we want to see that in one hunt.

bottom line is support the ducks, one way or another.
Well said. I concur. And support DU and Delta.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

I think that DU has done a horrible job of getting the word out on projects that they are involved in. The DU hate is everywhere in Louisiana. Some of it is well earned, but most of it is just flat misguided. A quick look on their website shows that they plan on spending at least $60 million on the gulf coast in the next five years. There are several projects going on now. Educate yourself and do some research instead of just blaming them. This thread was about why ducks didn't show up here this year. To say it's DU's fault is just ignorant! I think it's becoming cool to hate on DU, and people are doing it without the facts. Every friggin thread about lack of ducks has someone blaming DU. Then people say that they take Louisiana money and spend it up north, well that's just not true. I think they do good work, but they need to do a better job at showing some Louisiana hunters the value they have.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Flounder

And I can promise you that the Ethanol lobby has done way more to hurt our duck hunting than anything else. Corn prices have been so artificially inflated it's ridiculous. Farmers can make money on corn, so they make cornfields out of wetlands in the prairie. Then, in order to replace habitat, either through CRP or DU or even on their own, they flood said corn. Now this flooding does provide habitat, just not "natural" habitat. Thus it changes natural behavior of animals. So, if we didn't offer artificial incentive to grow corn, then not as much corn would be grown. If not as much corn is grown, then we would not have to create as much artificial habitat in order to make up for the natural habitat used to grow the corn in the first place. Government intervention and unintended consequences....will they ever learn?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzon30s View Post
I think that DU has done a horrible job of getting the word out on projects that they are involved in. The DU hate is everywhere in Louisiana. Some of it is well earned, but most of it is just flat misguided. A quick look on their website shows that they plan on spending at least $60 million on the gulf coast in the next five years. There are several projects going on now. Educate yourself and do some research instead of just blaming them. This thread was about why ducks didn't show up here this year. To say it's DU's fault is just ignorant! I think it's becoming cool to hate on DU, and people are doing it without the facts. Every friggin thread about lack of ducks has someone blaming DU. Then people say that they take Louisiana money and spend it up north, well that's just not true. I think they do good work, but they need to do a better job at showing some Louisiana hunters the value they have.
Uh... Yes it is very true.
Quote:
And I can promise you that the Ethanol lobby has done way more to hurt our duck hunting than anything else. Corn prices have been so artificially inflated it's ridiculous. Farmers can make money on corn, so they make cornfields out of wetlands in the prairie. Then, in order to replace habitat, either through CRP or DU or even on their own, they flood said corn. Now this flooding does provide habitat, just not "natural" habitat. Thus it changes natural behavior of animals. So, if we didn't offer artificial incentive to grow corn, then not as much corn would be grown. If not as much corn is grown, then we would not have to create as much artificial habitat in order to make up for the natural habitat used to grow the corn in the first place. Government intervention and unintended consequences....will they ever learn?
So in other words. DU paying them to flood said corn, is holding birds up north that would normally come down.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:

Locally our chapter has advertised their work in the papers and we plan on having a projector running the whole time for our banquet. Louisiana is the #2 contributor in the nation. They can't ignore that. Old rumors are gear people are basing their opinions on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Redfish

Cash: 832

My my! This has been an interesting read!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Uh... Yes it is very true.

So in other words. DU paying them to flood said corn, is holding birds up north that would normally come down.
Exactly!!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

I'll end my thoughts right here...not blaming DU because I understand what they do and why they do it. Ducks=Cash

But the planting of standing crops for no other purpose other than the feeding, breeding, holding, and killing of ducks is wrong. I agree that DU does help with the breeding aspect. But once the season starts then continuous feeding and holding should not happen in those spots. Hunt them out of those areas. No food plus hunters will move ducks south. The planting of standing crops that remain unharvested should no be hunted. Once that is stopped then the corn crops for ducks only will stop. Thus allowing the natural migration to happen as it has for centuries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
I'll end my thoughts right here...not blaming DU because I understand what they do and why they do it. Ducks=Cash

But the planting of standing crops for no other purpose other than the feeding, breeding, holding, and killing of ducks is wrong. I agree that DU does help with the breeding aspect. But once the season starts then continuous feeding and holding should not happen in those spots. Hunt them out of those areas. No food plus hunters will move ducks south. The planting of standing crops that remain unharvested should no be hunted. Once that is stopped then the corn crops for ducks only will stop. Thus allowing the natural migration to happen as it has for centuries.

And you my friend hit the nail on the head!!!! Great post!!!!

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post

I tend to agree with that. And yes, du pays to flood corn. But they are simply following their charter of trying to save habitat. Allowing people to hunt on that flooded corn is another issue. I believe manipulating crops in ways that are not part of the natural agricultural process should be considered baiting. Flooded corn is not part of the natural farming process.
My point is though, that we have to look at what is giving farmers incentive to plant all this corn in the first place. And that my friends is due to government manufactured demand of ethanol. We should also look at why farmers down here are moving more and more to sugar cane. I don't know enough about the solution to that to comment intelligently. I can only guess its because there is less money in rice. maybe DU and Delta could help subsidize Louisiana rice farmers more.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 AM
King Mackeral

Point blank DU does more for ducks DOWN HERE then people ever will notice. And not just ducks... How many of you like to catch shrimp and crabs at rollover? Who you think footed the bill to rebuild the LSU weir? How bout the new weir at rollover? Y'all talk about coastal conservation... well that's it. Just this project restores 16,568 acres in pecan island. We only raised 3 million as a state last year here in Louisiana. Yet since 1985 DU has spent $71 million. In the past 10 years they have spent 4 MILLION in Vermillion parish alone. There's a brand new one about to kick up to restore 8,600 acres near intracoastal city. And many more being planned. To say DU sends all your money up north is just plain stupid. These are just the numbers I have on vermillion parish. Maybe Latt will chime in with the Cameron parish numbers.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Redfish

Cash: 639

Yall could all argue about habitat changes, ect up north until you run out of breath. Large concentrations of migrating mallards(in the hundreds of thousands) do not come to Louisiana for a number of reasons, most are stated in this thread. Might as well argue about religion. The biggest change to duck hunting since 2000 is the flapper, mojo, robo, spinner,ect. Yes they work, and I use them too.

Outlaw mojos and see how many barrel sticker hunters can call a duck into their decoys or actually know how to put out a spread of decoys to kill ducks.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:11 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I tend to agree with that. And yes, du pays to flood corn. But they are simply following their charter of trying to save habitat. Allowing people to hunt on that flooded corn is another issue. I believe manipulating crops in ways that are not part of the natural agricultural process should be considered baiting. Flooded corn is not part of the natural farming process.
My point is though, that we have to look at what is giving farmers incentive to plant all this corn in the first place. And that my friends is due to government manufactured demand of ethanol. We should also look at why farmers down here are moving more and more to sugar cane. I don't know enough about the solution to that to comment intelligently. I can only guess its because there is less money in rice. maybe DU and Delta could help subsidize Louisiana rice farmers more.
The don't subsidize per say rice. But they do help rice farmers through a program they have called the rice stewardship program. This is the program that helped Aubrey install the pipelines on his farm.