SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default Electric Masterbuilt BBQ repair

Last week i heated MB smoker up and put chickens on and temp strarted going down. Plan B to the oven with chicken. Took the small plate off the back and found the wire to the element had broke off. Replaced the connector ($.30 cents) and back working. A friend had the same pit except the small Masterbuilt sold by Academy with no window. He had same problem and we drilled all the rivets off the back side and found the same thing. Replaced the rivets with screws. So you may want to look at this before you trash them.
See the green corrosion on the left side?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elec bbq.jpg (35.4 KB, 183 views)
Old 08-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Thanks for the heads up. I have one of these and love it. Way better then having to watch the temp. on propane or charcoal. Besides the water pan when I do a roast or chicken, I get a cheap alum. pan and put the meat in there with a lil water in the pan . Same results with no mess in the smoker. With pork try some hawian punch in the pan with the roast.......
Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

This has been a reoccuring problem w/ masterbuilt units since day one. I had one of the first MES40" in baton Rouge and after 9 months had to do a repair.
The best repair we on Smoking meat forums have come up with is when you have to open the unit up to do a repair go ahead and replace all the wiring and connectors that you can access. Go to appliance repair shop and buy stainless connectors and 12 Gauge high temp wire. The unit comes w/ aluminum / tin connectors and 14 Gauge wire. After the repair my 1st MES lasted 6 years before the cabinet rusted out. I now have the newest model and have not had to repair it yet. www.smokingmeatforums.com and do a search for MES repairs . will show you everything you need to know.