SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:22 AM
Redfish

Cash: 826
Default changing alternator on 2012 chevy traverse

The coolant recovery jug has to be removed, not the radiator, also the engine strut mount and bracket. The top nut on the front engine mount has to be removed so you can lift the engine up a little. The lower alternator bolt is also part of the idler pulley. Not hard to replace just a bit time consuming. Let me know if you need any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 402
Thumbs up 2012 traverse alternator

This job is not a 1200 dollar job. An hour and a half once you know how to do it.
You need a 10mm,13, 14 and a 15mm. A two piece flat belt tensioner bar and a E8 socket.
Remove the right front wheel and the front wheel well panel. Take the belt off and unbolt the idler pulley under the alt. It bolts to the under side of the alt. Next from the top take the nuts off the studs and remove the clips that hold the wires and hoses. I forgot to mention to remove the radiator overflow first sorry. Next us a E8 socket to remove both studs above the alt. Two people at this point really helps. Do not try to pull it from the top. The alt will slide out the right front wheel well with somewhat ease. To take it out from the top could require fan removal and not necessary. Please make sure the battery is disconnected first. I did this from the right side of the engine where they recommend jumper cable placement. I hope this helps. I saved my sister a lot of money. About 170 for the alt and a couple of hours of repairing cause it was my first with this vehicle as well. E8 socket if you don't know what it is. The best I can describe is a reversed star bit socket. Good luck hope this helps to save you money as well
Old 06-03-2016, 01:01 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I have changed several alternators in my time, but none in the last 12+ years.

One's I have changed were much easier. Jack up the truck, disconnect the battery hot lead.

Crawl under truck and disconnect the wires on the alternator. Support the alternator and take out the 2 bolts and lower the alternator to the ground.

Hard part is to lift up the new alternator with one hand and get a bolt started to hold it up.

Job takes 1 hour tops.

My truck is 11 years old and alternator still working good.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Old post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk