SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003
Default dog kennle flooring

So all this rain has made a mess of my dogs kennels. Currently they are part pavers and part grass(now mud!).

Not a real handy guy when it comes to construction. I've seen some kennels online that use pallets for part of the floor. This would give them a good area to get up off the mud and still have grass when this all dry's out. I've spent enough money already so I'm looking for an economical option.

Anyone have any idea where I could get some pallets in the Lafayette/Lake Charles area?

Any other ideas appreciated!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

I would put some visqueen down first. Maybe even some rocks in addition to the visqueen, but definitely put down some visqueen.

I had visqueen under my dog kennel brick pavers for 4 years, and still had no mud or sprouts of grass/weeds.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,801

On my last kennel I used the 5/4" deck boards on 2x6's, the kennel was 6'x8' so I was able to buy 12' deck boards and get a 1'x6' coverage from 1 board. New kennel is concrete with a 6" tall wall to prevent spraying turds on the ground and septic system. That's the ticket for a long term setup.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
On my last kennel I used the 5/4" deck boards on 2x6's, the kennel was 6'x8' so I was able to buy 12' deck boards and get a 1'x6' coverage from 1 board. New kennel is concrete with a 6" tall wall to prevent spraying turds on the ground and septic system. That's the ticket for a long term setup.
I've got the 2x6 and 5/4 set up and like it. Very easy and cost effective. Share a pic of your pooh funnel. Curious how you did it.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Ling

uploadfromtaptalk1434214424538.jpg
Old 06-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

That's nice. So where's the pooh go when you spray? Do you have it plumbed to your septic tank?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Wowllll

That looks like a 5 star place for the dogs to stay. I bet the food is good also.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
That's nice. So where's the pooh go when you spray? Do you have it plumbed to your septic tank?
that curb you see has a drain built into it so it directs it to a drain and yes IIRC i think it goes to his tank
Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Ling

Just seeing this, yeah in the back corner there is a drain that goes to the septic tank. The entire slab slopes to that corner. Here's a few more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140811_190634.jpg (93.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 20140814_175841.jpg (110.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 06-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Ling

Here's the slab before the turd wall was built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140809_111121.jpg (100.9 KB, 189 views)
Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Could just get a wireless containment system and not have to deal with all of that. Have one and it works great. Range can be adjusted from 20 to 90 feet from the control box. Dog wears a wireless shock collar. They have more room to play in the yard. Shock levels can also be adjusted. Once your dog learns that beep sounds means stop or you get shocked you can bring them anywhere theres a power source and keep them controlled. Camping, parties, etc. Battery for the collar is 6 bucks and lasts 3 months. Depending on if a dog is a slow learner. One time getting shocked and my cur knew that beep means slam on the brakes.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Sailfish

Not trying to say you don't have a great setup shawn.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:05 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Could just get a wireless containment system and not have to deal with all of that. Have one and it works great. Range can be adjusted from 20 to 90 feet from the control box. Dog wears a wireless shock collar. They have more room to play in the yard. Shock levels can also be adjusted. Once your dog learns that beep sounds means stop or you get shocked you can bring them anywhere theres a power source and keep them controlled. Camping, parties, etc. Battery for the collar is 6 bucks and lasts 3 months. Depending on if a dog is a slow learner. One time getting shocked and my cur knew that beep means slam on the brakes.

My neighbors dog has those.... they are awesome, the only drawback is that you have to clean poop out of a bigger area.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:05 AM
Ling

Funny story about those, my buddy had an idiot for a boxer and used one of them on him. One day he decided to "break through" the barrier. That dog yelped for about 50 yds once he passed the fence but he was free. In my case Duckman, I had to rid the yard of dog turds to please the Mrs. She was tired of kids hauling doo doo in the house.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Redfish

Cash: 843

If you have an underground fence with shock collar and use a shock collar to work your dog in the blind how does he tell the difference? Has anyone had any experience with this? just curious
Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed32 View Post
If you have an underground fence with shock collar and use a shock collar to work your dog in the blind how does he tell the difference? Has anyone had any experience with this? just curious
A correction is a correction regardless if the command is taking the wrong cast or going somewhere it shouldn't. I wouldn't expect for there to be a problem. Not to mention scenary change will give him a reboot in the mind. Them mutts are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Funny story about those, my buddy had an idiot for a boxer and used one of them on him. One day he decided to "break through" the barrier. That dog yelped for about 50 yds once he passed the fence but he was free. In my case Duckman, I had to rid the yard of dog turds to please the Mrs. She was tired of kids hauling doo doo in the house.
My dog broke through one time and what does this idiot do? He goes to visit the neighbors dog and they use the same system and it picked up his collar when he got in range. When he saw us pull in the driveway he went running home and guess what? Yep he got his azz lit up again. Lol. He never did that again
Old 06-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
My dog broke through one time and what does this idiot do? He goes to visit the neighbors dog and they use the same system and it picked up his collar when he got in range. When he saw us pull in the driveway he went running home and guess what? Yep he got his azz lit up again. Lol. He never did that again
Lol now that's good stuff. I simply don't trust the system in all honesty with my investment. I've put more time into my dog in a year than most people put into their dog in their lifetime. It's a hobby, it'd be like me leaving my Benelli SBE 2 propped up on my back porch until I need it. There's a chance it'll be there come duck season, but then again there's a slim chance that it won't. I'm not a gambling man, I work a lot and value my money and time as I'm sure most do. Definitely gives our pooch friends more running room though.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Lol now that's good stuff. I simply don't trust the system in all honesty with my investment. I've put more time into my dog in a year than most people put into their dog in their lifetime. It's a hobby, it'd be like me leaving my Benelli SBE 2 propped up on my back porch until I need it. There's a chance it'll be there come duck season, but then again there's a slim chance that it won't. I'm not a gambling man, I work a lot and value my money and time as I'm sure most do. Definitely gives our pooch friends more running room though.
I fully understand that man. Gota take care of your investment the best way you can. Our dog is just a dog. Good dog but still just the dog.