SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Flounder

Cash: 660
Default Worst fishing area?

Just thought I'd start this thread just to see if most people will agree with me.
What would you say is the worst area to fish?

I'd say bar none is Vermilion Bay. That is by far the worst area I've ever fished. I love the water and VB is the closest. Oh and also I NEVER have to clean fish after fishing VB.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,065

Bad Day?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Flounder

Can't remember last OK day at VB.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

I'm with yu
Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

We've always done good there just gotta hit it right. Tide gotta be high and falling for me to go and gotta fish the right places at the right times. I haven't been there in a few yrs though I have focused my attention to big lake kinda for the reason of VBay is only hot 3 months out the yr. late aug,sept,oct when they get thick at the trash pile and blue pt. I've murdered 5man limits within hours on anchor before with buddies in a pontoon boat and no trolling motor. Gotta know the right ppl and trust em not to lie to ya its tight lipped over there. I thank reefman for the info he shares because it's not every day you here reports like that coming from there
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Plenty of fish to be caught in VB....just gotta put your time on the water and figure it out.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

People try to fish VB All summer and get discouraged when they don't catch. With exceptions of dry winters and drought years, the bay is only good in the fall. Fish other places then hit the bay in September thru November. Nothing like limits of 18" trout over there. It's just a different fishery and you got to know how and when to fish it.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

you can catch trout all year in vbay. like said before you just have to put in your time. unlike biglake people are much more tight lipped about good spots.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Flounder

Been fishing there for 24 years and NEVER came close to a limit. Good trips, sure but never a limit and can count on one hand how many. Maybe y'all are right I just don't know the right people b/c I know much more that hate VB than people that like it.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,573

VB is going to turn on with in the next couple of months! Be patient it'll get better!
Maybe try running out to
T-butte or fish the reefs in the pass. Good luck
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,358

yeah, when the bay isn't hittin, t-butte or the pass is the best bet. I start my days out there and usually pick up at least a few.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,188

I fished there for 12 years and i say its only good in the fall and usually just november. Plus a million boats because fish are in close..unless you cross into marsh island or cross bay and go out into gulf..t butte was never that great..always heard ..shudda been here yesteday..anyway got a camp at big lake and am very happy now
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

VBay is HORRIBLE, do not ever go there

That place is 30 minutes from my house and I have yet to not catch fish there out of a 15' aluminum boat. I fish the west side mainly due to much much fewer people and I like to fish marsh and can catch crabs there as well. Only fished Cyp Pt 3 or 4 times and had really good luck each time on trout, once you hear a report at Cyp Pt you are a week late remember that, Henderson Lake also
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

I've put over 40 years fishing the Bay. I wouldn't trade it even for Big Lake. Yep, I've had empty cleaning tables a bunch but year in, year out my fishing VB starts up in March and ends with the beginning of Duck season. Some years the fishing stays good all year long..even into the winter months...just depends on what the river is doing. I haven't been skunked yet this summer and I've never fished out the pass except once...wasn't my boat. Duckbutter, Montauk, flounder smacker are correct, the fishing is good to great in VB....put in the time is all it takes and pay close attention to the wind direction.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Worst place to fish is my office....
Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
I've put over 40 years fishing the Bay. I wouldn't trade it even for Big Lake. Yep, I've had empty cleaning tables a bunch but year in, year out my fishing VB starts up in March and ends with the beginning of Duck season. Some years the fishing stays good all year long..even into the winter months...just depends on what the river is doing. I haven't been skunked yet this summer and I've never fished out the pass except once...wasn't my boat. Duckbutter, Montauk, flounder smacker are correct, the fishing is good to great in VB....put in the time is all it takes and pay close attention to the wind direction.
I have fished VB in 14ft flats, to 24ft bay boats. I agree usually fishing is better on the south end, but put some time in and remember the time of year, it's usually pretty consistant year to year for redfishing. Trout are just stubburn fish until September. Don't give up VB has lots of great fishing, and unless you see the piles of boats catching, stay clear of them because 90% of the time it's followers.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

VBay is the worst IMO as well. You got about 90 days all year where trout fishing is good. All you guys talking about how good it is, I sure ain't seen any reports from any of ya'll. I live in Lafayette and have only been out there like 3 times and never did well. By time it turns on out there I am worried bout teal and deer. Know alot of people that do well on trout offshore but that's not my kind of fishing. Don't like deepwater fishing for trout or soaking live bait.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
VBay is the worst IMO as well. You got about 90 days all year where trout fishing is good. All you guys talking about how good it is, I sure ain't seen any reports from any of ya'll. I live in Lafayette and have only been out there like 3 times and never did well. By time it turns on out there I am worried bout teal and deer. Know alot of people that do well on trout offshore but that's not my kind of fishing. Don't like deepwater fishing for trout or soaking live bait.
Here is one from June, quick evening trip had em cleaned and cooking before dark, got a few more from the winter, will be fishing Cyp Pt a good bit in the fall. No live bait, couple hundred yards from the boat ramp in 6' of water

General Discussion (Everything Else): Vbay today - SaltyCajun.com
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Here is one from June, quick evening trip had em cleaned and cooking before dark, got a few more from the winter, will be fishing Cyp Pt a good bit in the fall. No live bait, couple hundred yards from the boat ramp in 6' of water

General Discussion (Everything Else): Vbay today - SaltyCajun.com
Never saw that one. Nice trip. K that's one. Anymore?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Never saw that one. Nice trip. K that's one. Anymore?
There are a few VBay reports lurking in the piles of BL reports Its supposedly still way early for the point though

first 2 trips out there were last winter for me, the reports are in here somewheres, got on some really nice trout then, hardly anyone fishing, couple hundred yards from the ramp