SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748
Default Offshore in a small boat?

How possible is to fish off shore in an 18' center console? Where could I go? The boat is an 188cc Sailfish with a 90hp, high gunnels and a 40 gallon tank. Not the ideal boat but if there were some places close to shore I could get to and fish safely I'd like to give it a try one day.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

I have caught tripletail out of Cameron(5-10 miles out) in my 17' triton. Just gotta pick your days.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Natives in the Carribean run 17' Pangas with a 40hp tiller 20 miles offshore. You should be fine if you pick your days and have all your safety equipment. Leave out of Fourchon or Grand Isle.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I've seen people 10 miles offshore in bass boats or flat boats... Would I do it? Hell No!!! You should be fine as long as you pick your days. East Bay out of Venice would also be a good choice in addition to GI/Fourchon
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Natives in the Carribean run 17' Pangas with a 40hp tiller 20 miles offshore. You should be fine if you pick your days and have all your safety equipment. Leave out of Fourchon or Grand Isle.
Saw this in Ghana too, tiller mounted on the side with plywood in front to keep the water out... They would go in some nice swells!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Trophy Trout

A guy at work mentioned East Bay so ill look into it. If I went to grand isle where would I head once on the water?

I've never been to Grand Isle or Venice.

Edit: I guess any info to help a newb out would be appreciated!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I fished some rigs south of marsh island with one of my podnas in a 17 foot robalo deep vee. Got stuck in a thunderstorm on the way in,told myself never again in boat shorter than 22 foot.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
A guy at work mentioned East Bay so ill look into it. If I went to grand isle where would I head once on the water?

I've never been to Grand Isle or Venice.

Edit: I guess any info to help a newb out would be appreciated!
South...

Look at a chart for where rigs/wrecks/reefs are located and go that direction then just rig hop

If you are new to offshore fishing:
1. make sure you have a radio
2. always a good idea to tell sombody where you plan on fishing
3. following a "buddy boat" your first couple of times is not a bad idea
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Dink would run to green canyon in a 19' boat if he had a big enough gas tank and enough jack Daniels !
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

We take our 19 mako with a 150 hp 35 miles out of grande isle. It gets deep pretty quick.
Like many have said watch the weather carefully. There are usually only 2-3 weekends a year in snapper season that are calm enough.

This year I am planning to go 40-50 miles and get on some amberjack and maybe dolphin.

VHS radio is a must have and I am also investing in a SPOT device this year. If anything happens you can push a button and it alerts the coast guard and your family of your location.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Redfish

Cash: 780

also, make sure of the regulations, you have to have a few different things out there, at least I think you do if I remember right.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Dink would run to green canyon in a 19' boat if he had a big enough gas tank and enough jack Daniels !
very true
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Well the current radio on the boat is junk. It was installed in 2001 and hasn't worked properly from what I've been told.

So I'll need a new radio. The antenna is good, but needs a new PL259 installed which is walk in the park for this redneck... Reminiscing on my old CB radio days.. Haha

I'd like to get a radio that I can flush mount and that's relatively compact. They all seem to be the same as far a features and output power.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Remember your antenna is 80% of how good your VHF is. Those cheep whips aren't worth it. Invest in a good antenna!
That extra $150-$200 could save your life!

BROWN FIN
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

If you go to Venice get with somebody that knows. Not an area to learn on your own.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 AM
Flounder

Cash: 642

I am a crewboat captain and run out of grand isle and see smaller boats fishing by our platforms all the time like everyone else size watch weather and have safety equipment.. I hear calls on the radio all the time of ppl having problems out here.. Some good area Is just on the north side of the loop and isn't that far out.. It's a starter place for sure.. Good luck and if you in the area and need a few good platforms that have fish look for the red crewboat and swing by and if I'm at work I can point you to a honey hole..

GATOR TRAX 1544 HD / MB35

NUT UP R SHUT UP
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Well the current radio on the boat is junk. It was installed in 2001 and hasn't worked properly from what I've been told.

So I'll need a new radio. The antenna is good, but needs a new PL259 installed which is walk in the park for this redneck... Reminiscing on my old CB radio days.. Haha

I'd like to get a radio that I can flush mount and that's relatively compact. They all seem to be the same as far a features and output power.

Safety should be a redundant issue, most boats that venture offshore alone with a single engine have 2 radios. I would get a console mounted radio and a waterproof hand held.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 576

Ditch bag is a plus for offshore. VHF is a must. If you do not know the area use the buddy system until you learn it. It can get nasty out there quick with rain or fog. A plb is a great investment over the spot. When I travel far in the kayak I always have a VHF and let family and friends know where I am going and an expected time back. Be safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022
Default shouldn't be a problem

I've been 55 miles out in my Haynie before with no problems. Going out was a bit rough, but we just took it easy. Always brought an extra 10-15 gallons of gas with us and plenty of drinks. Then again, we picked our days, too. Just as long as you prepare for it and everything is in good shape, i wouldn't worry too much about how far to go. We actually did that 3 days in a row. Never had to put any of the extra gas in the tank. I believe the round trip was close to 134 miles. Just putting in my 2 cents....
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Yes, safety is number one and I will be prepared in that aspect. It looks as if our first few trips will be out of grand isle. We aren't planning the trip anytime in the next few weeks but I want to have everything ready for when those choice days do come around I can pack up and go.

I have 2 heavy rods and one moderately heavy spinning rod so I'm set there. Now I just need hooks, bait and lures. Any recommendations? What can I expect to catch?