SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I would but they run dogs on our lease,they might not make it come dog season.
And dats why I have just about quit hunting Louisiana and started paying to hunt a ranch in Texas, I got tired of seeing decent deer one minute and then having some turd shoot it just because it had hair and walked. I enjoy putting a deer on the ground as much as anyone but I wish more people would try doin some management so deer like you have pics of could breed and grow into somthin, but I understand your problem with the dogs and other hunters since I use to deal with outlaws doin the same next to some land I have.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Man great pics! i gotta wait 2 more weeks to get up to Arkansas to check my cameras its killing me! Yall got some really good deer and great potential.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
And dats why I have just about quit hunting Louisiana and started paying to hunt a ranch in Texas, I got tired of seeing decent deer one minute and then having some turd shoot it just because it had hair and walked. I enjoy putting a deer on the ground as much as anyone but I wish more people would try doin some management so deer like you have pics of could breed and grow into somthin, but I understand your problem with the dogs and other hunters since I use to deal with outlaws doin the same next to some land I have.

yea man if the meat hunters would just shoot the damn does!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

It is what it is....I am just happy I have a place to hunt without having to resort to public land. Our dues are very cheap too so I can't complain.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

and that is why I hunt Texas. I understand that hunting with dogs has deep cultural roots but it does nothing for management of the deer herd in the state. LA has too many outlaws. I know one fella who hunts Clear Creek and also Jackson Bienville, and maybe 1-2 other public lands and he, his wife, and his 2 boys shot over 20 deer last year (according to a very reliable source). You say sure that is under the limit of 24. But wait, the dad shoots most all of them and uses the tags of his wife/kids. Not very ethical, IMO.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
and that is why I hunt Texas. I understand that hunting with dogs has deep cultural roots but it does nothing for management of the deer herd in the state. LA has too many outlaws. I know one fella who hunts Clear Creek and also Jackson Bienville, and maybe 1-2 other public lands and he, his wife, and his 2 boys shot over 20 deer last year (according to a very reliable source). You say sure that is under the limit of 24. But wait, the dad shoots most all of them and uses the tags of his wife/kids. Not very ethical, IMO.
I don't mind the dog hunting. There is 6 of us coon azzes that still hunt only and before dog season we have the whole lease to ourselves. During dog season they mostly run dogs during the week so it usually leaves the weekend open for the still hunters. We mostly hunt for meat in the freezer and bring family out,not to kill wall hangers. My grandpaw and I try to make a trip up north once a year for the big daddies.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

You guys have to remember, not everyone gives a ****tt about management. I would love to kill a biggun, but am still very happy to shoot a basket rack. There are too many places that try to MANAGE properties that just don't have the potential.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasper Master View Post
You guys have to remember, not everyone gives a ****tt about management. I would love to kill a biggun, but am still very happy to shoot a basket rack. There are too many places that try to MANAGE properties that just don't have the potential.
They don't have the potential because everyone in south LA shoots anything that walks. You are never gonna kill a biggun if u keep killing the 2 year old bucks. If u manage the deer, u will have some nice ones. Every place I hunt is 8 point or better and if u shoot it, u plan on mounting it. I wont shoot a buck unless its 130+". If i want some meat, i got plenty of does to shoot. Been doing it since i began hunting and we have harvested some very nice bucks. Wish everyone would manage. But to each his own.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Man that's some bruisers
Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
They don't have the potential because everyone in south LA shoots anything that walks. You are never gonna kill a biggun if u keep killing the 2 year old bucks. If u manage the deer, u will have some nice ones. Every place I hunt is 8 point or better and if u shoot it, u plan on mounting it. I wont shoot a buck unless its 130+". If i want some meat, i got plenty of does to shoot. Been doing it since i began hunting and we have harvested some very nice bucks. Wish everyone would manage. But to each his own.
x1000

even if your herd doent have great genetics, you can still let them reach their potential by letting them mature.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAssasin View Post
x1000

even if your herd doent have great genetics, you can still let them reach their potential by letting them mature.
Exactly. St. Landry parish probably has some of the best genetics in the state.(250+ lb bucks/very massive racks) But anything 4 point or better gets blasted. That's why I drive an hour from home to St. Francisville where myself and all neighboring properties are on the same page with management. We don't kill big deer just b/c of genetics. It's b/c we "manage." I know if I pass a nice 2-3 y/o buck, that my neighbor isn't going to shoot him. And I somewhat understand some people's logic saying that if they pass it their neighbor's will shoot it, but to say that the deer in your area just don't have the "potential" and that's y u shoot anything that walks is bull. Gasper i see you are from Opelousas. I am originally from Opelousas as well. Where do u hunt?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Great White

Quote:
I agree,we have a 6 point or better rule. What pisses me off come dog season they shoot anything that moves. We put up with it cause the dues are cheap and we shoot deer every year.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I agree,we have a 6 point or better rule. What pisses me off come dog season they shoot anything that moves. We put up with it cause the dues are cheap and we shoot deer every year.
Yeh 6 is better than 4. And I am not trying to knock anyone that shoots small bucks. Like I said, to each his own. I have just been deer hunting for so long and have been fortunate enough to shoot prob 80-90 deer in my lifetime that shooting the small ones just doesn't do it for me. I would rather shoot them with my video camera or let him grow a little so my daughter or nephew can kill him. AND I really don't like to clean them anymore. When I was a kid, my buddy and I's dads would bring clients/friends hunting. Whatever they shot they would just pile up at the skinning rack and he and I would be skinning and gutting deer all day long.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Great White

Quote:
Yeh 6 is better than 4. And I am not trying to knock anyone that shoots small bucks. Like I said, to each his own. I have just been deer hunting for so long and have been fortunate enough to shoot prob 80-90 deer in my lifetime that shooting the small ones just doesn't do it for me. I would rather shoot them with my video camera or let him grow a little so my daughter or nephew can kill him. AND I really don't like to clean them anymore. When I was a kid, my buddy and I's dads would bring clients/friends hunting. Whatever they shot they would just pile up at the skinning rack and he and I would be skinning and gutting deer all day long.
I hear ya,having to skin and gut other peoples deer would ruin me too. I love being in the woods and have gotten more into bow hunting. To me there is no better rush.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 633

Nice pics. My trigger finger starting to itch. Can not wait.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 913

Specktator yalls management is awesome. I was lucky enough to go on a hunt with HB last year when Blake shot his big deer. I personally watched and let deer pass that I would have shot on any of the properties I hunt.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

it is nice to know you can enjoy seeing deer and knowing if you let them pass others in your group will also, when we first got our lease we saw alot of 8 pointers and we have a 8 point or better, now we dont see so many 8 pointers but see several 10+ pointers that have very good size