SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGib View Post
Tx is 13in spread minimum. The quality has really increased since that change. If you just want meat shoot a doe.
Some of us hunt public land. Some us like to eat deer. I will take what ever oppurtunity presents itself. Asking about ethics on a forum is fruitless. Everyone goes by a different set of ethics.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Some of us hunt public land. Some us like to eat deer. I will take what ever oppurtunity presents itself. Asking about ethics on a forum is fruitless. Everyone goes by a different set of ethics.
And I agree with this.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Tx is 13in spread minimum. The quality has really increased since that change. If you just want meat shoot a doe.
Depends what part of Texas. Unless they recently went state wide.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
I concur. Rule on my places are if it has horns, you have to mount it if you shoot it. Except for cow horn spikes. We shoot those.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Swordfish

Lots of people have the "if it's brown, it's down" mentality in LA. Reason we will never be able to compete with TX in deer. I'm going to Sanora, TX Dec 5th hopefully get to lay a big boy and a few exotics down.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Lots of people have the "if it's brown, it's down" mentality in LA. Reason we will never be able to compete with TX in deer. I'm going to Sanora, TX Dec 5th hopefully get to lay a big boy and a few exotics down.
I respectfully disagree. My deer philosophy is I am going to shoot the first deer I can (most times, not a 80 lb deer) Then I get a little more picky. After I have 2 or maybe 3, depending on my son, I go to hunting horns.

A few years ago, the brown down mentality was dominate, but it is slowly changing. Most hunter you talk to on WMA's even now will pass on some deer. Now I am not talking about the ones that only go to hunt WMA's on doe days.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

It's not unethical, it's your choice.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I respectfully disagree. My deer philosophy is I am going to shoot the first deer I can (most times, not a 80 lb deer) Then I get a little more picky. After I have 2 or maybe 3, depending on my son, I go to hunting horns.

A few years ago, the brown down mentality was dominate, but it is slowly changing. Most hunter you talk to on WMA's even now will pass on some deer. Now I am not talking about the ones that only go to hunt WMA's on doe days.
You are right. People are doing a little better. I have no problem with shooting does. Hell, fill up the back of your truck if that's what you like. I for one don't even enjoy deer meat except backstrap and sausage. And I DO NOT enjoy cleaning deer at all. I was forced to clean so many when I was a kid for everyone else in the club. They would just stack them up at the cleaning rack and me and my buddy would have to clean them all. I have just got to the point to where big horns are the only thing that gets my blood pumping when it comes to deer hunting. Trust me, I have killed more than my fair share of small bucks and does.

I am all for kids getting out there and laying them down though. My nephew busted a big ole doe this past Saturday morning with my gun. I think my dad was more excited than he was. Now he's trying to tell me I need to find a new gun.

I definitely don't think its unethical to shoot small bucks or head shots. Everyone has there choice. Just isn't for me.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Swordfish

I for one like deer meat. I just don't care to shoot em anymore. And I don't mind cleaning them. I've cleaned a many and I can clean a deer faster than I can clean a duck. Somebody needs to give me a deer!!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

Spectator hasn't killed a deer in his life. I'm pulling for you this yr bud! Hahaha
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

If its legal, I won't judge another hunter's ethics. I've taken a few head shots. I've taken a few neck shots. I take mostly shots to the center of the chest. It depends on the gun, the rest, the range, how settled the deer looks, and how hard a tracking job might be if the deer runs 100 yards from a chest shot. I learned that nothing puts deer down like a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip in the shoulder blade. And if a less than perfect shot misses the shoulder blade, the deer might run 50 yards on average. Yes, the shoulder shot ruins a bit of meat, but I believe a deer on the ground is worth two in the bush, and the meat wasted in 20 shoulder shots is a better deal than one long tracking job which may or may not result in meat.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
U need to defrost that other roast so I can pick it up Monday and get it ready for duck eve!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Spectator hasn't killed a deer in his life. I'm pulling for you this yr bud! Hahaha
Thanks man. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351815319.723374.jpg
Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Head shots are gay, trophy deer management is gay, and high fences are gay

Deer hunting is becoming like bass fishing and duck hunting is almost there as well. Shoot what you want, put it on the wall if you want, just eat it that is what they are there for.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I think its only unethical if you are breaking the law or wasting, Now I DON'T really agree with posting pics of your head shots and bragging about it to some people the pics are sick and unethical and people have different convictions. I'll let everyone opinions be there own and won't encourage there offense or encourage them letting me know what they think (most of time I don't care to know). the point is a quick and as painless as possible death for the animal. what is unethical is not looking for an animal that you shot, or letting it go to waste. As far as trophys go, what one man lets pass, may be a trophy for someone else as far as its legal, its legal and anyone offended about the kill should keep it to there self or go hunt where its resticted to what they think they should kill.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 661

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
I think its only unethical if you are breaking the law or wasting,
X2
Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgib View Post
tx is 13in spread minimum. The quality has really increased since that change. If you just want meat shoot a doe.
when did this change take place?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Swordfish

I think its only certain areas of Texas.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Thanks man. Attachment 42217
Sure was nice of your pops to let you have his mounts
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Swordfish

Quote: