SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 667
Default Building Kayak Trailers

Hello,

My friend and I are building kayak trailers. Just want to put this out there to see if anyone would be interested. They are all aluminum, galvanized rims, and a removable racks for a second kayak. The price is $2895. Please let me know if you would like more info.
Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426114744.259764.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426114753.695799.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426114762.141667.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426114771.663605.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

looks very nice, I can see where you could hang two on each outboard side to carry as many as 6 or more

Last edited by keakar; 03-11-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Flounder

Thanks for the feed back
Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Why is the second Yack up so high?

Also looks like the trailer could be a little shorter......but maybe those are short Yacks.

Have you considered using smaller tires?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Why is the second Yack up so high?

Also looks like the trailer could be a little shorter......but maybe those are short Yacks.

Have you considered using smaller tires?

Why would you want a shorter trailer or smaller tires? lol

Old 03-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

If the tires were smaller or a lighter duty suspension it might not hop as high when hitting big bumps. But the biger tires do help it launch in crappy spots.

Does the trailer float when empty?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Red Snapper

the only suggestion I have to improve it, and for me its a deal breaker on buying one if I had a yak, would be it needs to get rid of the outdated old fashion leaf spring design and have torsion axles put on it. they ride 1000 times smoother then leaf springs and there is no rust issue with them which is the whole point (maint. free) of going to the expense of buying an aluminum trailer isn't it?

most if not all torsion axles come with an adjustable slide carriage which allows simple adjustments to axle position in a few minutes to balance the trailer to the way you have it set up to fit your yak and equipt and this simplifies the building process too.

I like the 12" tires, they are better for bearing life (they turn less rpms) give you a smoother ride and allow better ground clearance for the trailer not to bottom out on steep driveways or ruts.

your carrying the yaks on and off the trailer, so its more like an extension of your truck bed and not a back into the water trailer to float the yak off the trailer, so why ask for it to be dragging lower to the ground which can only be asking to bottom out somehow somewhere on something with the yak sticking out the back end of this thing.

oh and another thing that might be nice is if it were wide enough for two yaks side by side like jet skis, plus it would be nice to offer an optional added storage box for gear. its not for everyone but im sure it would be a popular option for those without trucks to put all their stuff in. I assume the upper rack is removable, if not it should be to get it out of the way when you don't need it.

Last edited by keakar; 03-12-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Flounder

Thanks Keakar
Old 03-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Red Snapper

glad to help and good luck with it, I think it should do well and im sure it will be even more popular if you go along with the suggestions I offered
Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Flounder

Keakar I am building one right now for tony fontenot on Castin cajan I hope I will have more to build thanks
Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,334

Looking good. Will you do any aluminum welding on the side?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Flounder

Ragingrob I do
Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I would floor it and have the bunks removable so it could double as a four wheeler trailer and the ability to carry a 4 wheeler and a kayak above if needed.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Why would you want a shorter trailer or smaller tires? lol

Cost...... why have big trailer, when a smaller trailer will do the job.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

This is just an observation from an outside source... but that sounds incredibly expensive for a single purpose specialty trailer. You could get a REALLY nice utility trailer and add a removable Kayak rack to the top of it for ALOT cheaper and have a much more versatile trailer that would probably hold 4 Kayaks easily.

Of course I have never understood why people buy 800cc fourwheelers to ride back and forth to their deer stand... SMH... I guess to each his own
Old 03-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Red Snapper

well I would like to see a price point around $1500 too but aluminum is expensive and part of the price reflects that.

if he can lower the cost then he will get more sales but I don't think he can build an aluminum trailer to compete with galvanized or steel trailer prices.

I think people who buy aluminum trailer understand they are paying a premium for a maint free trailer to last a lifetime.

I think when he has a cheaper supply source to get the price in under $2k he would see sales pick up dramatically

I agree with others who say it should be made as a utility trailer so its a do it all purchase to haul your stuff, haul the 4 wheeler for hunting, carrying anything you need and then pop on the kayak racks and its a kayak trailer too. I think the way to do the best is make it a do everything trailer and not a specialty trailer.

the first thing I would do (if I bought one) was to do just that and turn it into a utility trailer for 90% of its use.

right now price and limited use because of how its set up is a negative in my mind.

op - just wanted to suggest you consider the fiberglass grating as a "possible" option (not sure of weight it can hold) to cover the floor of this trailer as I think no matter what you do it needs some form of a full floor covering to walk on and off for loading and unloading.

I feel we are throwing so much at this guy that would change so much, he may have a hard time using any of our suggestions on current projects in process of being builtbut I think it would be a mistake not to make the changes we suggested.

I wish for your sake OP that you can quickly switch gears and put this utility/4 wheeler use into instant changes in your design because Casting Cajun is a HUGE PR opportunity to launch your business and the one built that is shown on their show is what people will make their decisions on weather to buy one or not. even if you lose money on that trailer you should made sure it has the flat bed utility/4 wheeler trailer optional use.

starting a business is a nightmare and never easy so god bless and I hope you succeed and do well
Old 03-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
This is just an observation from an outside source... but that sounds incredibly expensive for a single purpose specialty trailer. You could get a REALLY nice utility trailer and add a removable Kayak rack to the top of it for ALOT cheaper and have a much more versatile trailer that would probably hold 4 Kayaks easily.

Of course I have never understood why people buy 800cc fourwheelers to ride back and forth to their deer stand... SMH... I guess to each his own
I hear ya. I use mine on work days and to bring a deer out. Other than that It stays in an enclosed trailer. Walk in = kill ride in = site seeing trip.