SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212
Default How To Grade Water Clarity

I hear people use the terms clear or dirty to describe water clarity all the time but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is considered clear water. I guess the question is how far does one have to able to see for water to be considered clear, how far is considered medium clarity and how far is considered dirty?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Clear in one area could be dirty in another... every body of water is different.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Tripletail

Ok I'm talking about Big Lake.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

If you can see your deployed trolling motor bottom section, the water is clear in BL If you can see the bottom of your popping cork in VB area the water is clear.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
If you can see your deployed trolling motor bottom section, the water is clear in BL If you can see the bottom of your popping cork in VB area the water is clear.

^
Old 03-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Tripletail

Lol ok ill go with that answer for now.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

to cut through all the subjective veiws of this description I just say it in terms of how far I can see my bait under water, not the color but the point I can make out they shape of it.

every single person has their own idea what the term cloudy, stained, or good water clarity is. I think the only consistent term is "gin clear water" we all picture as crystal clear
Old 03-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
to cut through all the subjective veiws of this description I just say it in terms of how far I can see my bait under water, not the color but the point I can make out they shape of it.

every single person has their own idea what the term cloudy, stained, or good water clarity is. I think the only consistent term is "gin clear water" we all picture as crystal clear

Yes that's exactly what im asking is an inch measurement to the point where you can see your lure. That's how I gauge it. I drop my lure in the water and bring it up and make a mental note of how many inches below the water it is when I can just see it. I say 12 inches of visibility in Big Lake is clear water conditions but I wanted to get some people's opinion who have more experience than I do.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

As a retired engineer, I try and avoid adjectives/superlatives/descriptors. They don't mean as much as plain old facts.

Water clarity - give me inches or feet that you can see your bait.
Fishing report - how many bites, how big.

When somebody says the water was fairly clean and we had an ok day.....I really have no clue how that translates to my way of thinking. If they say we had two feet of visibility and the three of us hooked X number of fish in four hours then I understand that.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

IMO..... fishing in very muddy water [can not see 1" down in the water] for trout is going to be a very slow day.

But sometimes the surface water can be "muddy" but the water a foot down could be much clearer.

To answer your question about water clarity.......

If I can only see a bait 2" to 4" down in the water, it is fairly dirty.

4" to 8" is ok for fishing----- ie. a little dirty.

8" to 12" visability-----water is fairly clear.

12" to 18" I consider this to be clear.

And on Big Lake....... if you can see down 2 feet you are fishing in very clear water.

In 15+ years fishing BL, only maybe 2 times have I been able to see down 3 feet or more in some areas.

One of these trips..... If there would have been a nickle on the bottom in 4 feet of water I would have been able to see it. On one cast I was watching the bait out 30 feet from the boat, then I spotted a ~ 20" Red following a few feet behind but he did not take the bait. Guess he saw my boat. I spotted several Sheepheads that day "tailing" on the bottom feeding.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Tripletail

Thank you for that detailed response Gerald. That's the kind of answer I was looking for!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
thats about right lol.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Dont try to test water clarity with anything red in color because u can't see red underwater. If u really want a scientific measurement get a secchi disc
Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Tripletail

No all I really wanted was people's estimates in inches lol.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

I've seen big lake so clear that I could see the bottom of the lake while fishing Long point!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Yes, as far as visibility and communicating with other fisherman go the 'how far down' can I see my lure is about all we need to do.

I caught some trout one day down in Baffin with winds blowing 30 with gusts to 40... the color change was muddy brown on the edge of muddy black mud. Seeing down into the water as compared to up and or across the water column can be much different. What we consider 'gin clear' where we can see clear water in all directions and can seemingly see the bottom in marsh ponds, may only be a foot to 2ft lateral water clarity for the fish. However when there is only a 4-6 inch clarity from above, fish can see a silhouette a good bit below that.

"we forget that trout and reds eat day in and day out, on windy, turbid (aka muddy) water days, eating almost silent, nearly transparent baitfish and shrimp...even sometimes in the black of night" -troutsupport
Old 03-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSupport.com View Post
Yes, as far as visibility and communicating with other fisherman go the 'how far down' can I see my lure is about all we need to do.

I caught some trout one day down in Baffin with winds blowing 30 with gusts to 40... the color change was muddy brown on the edge of muddy black mud. Seeing down into the water as compared to up and or across the water column can be much different. What we consider 'gin clear' where we can see clear water in all directions and can seemingly see the bottom in marsh ponds, may only be a foot to 2ft lateral water clarity for the fish. However when there is only a 4-6 inch clarity from above, fish can see a silhouette a good bit below that.

"we forget that trout and reds eat day in and day out, on windy, turbid (aka muddy) water days, eating almost silent, nearly transparent baitfish and shrimp...even sometimes in the black of night" -troutsupport

So would you still say that bait color plays a fairly large role according to water and cloud conditions or are you saying that it doesn't matter a whole lot?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl8200 View Post
So would you still say that bait color plays a fairly large role according to water and cloud conditions or are you saying that it doesn't matter a whole lot?
IMO not always specific colors but dark vs light, clear vs opaque, flake vs no flake
Old 03-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Great White

check out this link for bait color selection
http://www.texastacklefactory.com/in...d=5&Itemid=111
Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
IMO not always specific colors but dark vs light, clear vs opaque, flake vs no flake
I agree with Meaux, it's more a light vs dark. Most fish did not get the memo that said color was important. That said, if you find some colors that you have confidence in stick with that. Fishing confidently and precisely will catch fish over switching colors and wondering wonder color they are eating.

last year I fished the Arroyo area in lower laguna... ha, yes, not LA, but it was windy and MUDDY like a lot of LA. Dark skies too. We caught most of our fish on a Rootbeer color and as it was getting darker we ran out and all I had was pearl and clear glitter. We caught fish on both of those too. clear glitter in muddy (highly turbid) water with clouds and sun hitting horizon and getting darker...

I like to have 2 lights and 2 darks with me that I have confidence in. More important to locate fish and be casting in fish.
t