SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 07-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,425
Default Calcasieu 7/15 (saltwater barrier)

Launched at the barrier this morning and ran to Westfork. Fished all morning and got no good bites. Saw lots of bait on the sonar with fish streaking up from the bottom but nothing was biting for me. Somebody must have caught because there were dead fish all over the launch when I got back.

Water was 89 deg and still dirty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,210

Thanks for the report.
I wish everyone on SC would report every time they fish. Productive trip, or not.
I'm at Toledo Bend and may very well file an uneventful report on Sunday.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Tripletail

Yea I'm about to start videoing my trips and posting them as well. At least it'll show the weather and water conditions lol !! The only friggin place I can catch anything is Houston River !!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

How did you try and fish the barrier? bc its been pretty good lately for Reds, Bass and Hybrids.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 AM
Tripletail

Headknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
How did you try and fish the barrier? bc its been pretty good lately for Reds, Bass and Hybrids.
I started off at the mouth of westfork and ended up near the barrier, I didn't spend a whole of time right at the barrier. I hit the mouth of every cut and drainage and made sure to work over every area with a DOA (gold sparkle) before trying bass tackle.

I threw top water, and flipped a speedcraw on wood. Then backed off the bank and started fishing in 15-25 fow (due to all the activity I saw on the sonar) I used a speed craw, carolina rig with 5 different soft plastics, deep diving crank baits, lipless cranks (so I could flutter down to them), swim jigs, jigs. You name it. I could see my bait jigging in front of whatever was down there but no bites. I catch on Toledo every time I do this.

Damn gar were everywhere (saw the biggest one I've ever seen in person, had to be 6-7 ft long and bigger around than my leg).

I found lots of bait balls with streaks coming from the bottom just could not get a bite. I wouldnt have thought that the gar would be at 20+ft since they were just rolling on the surface but maybe thats all it was.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 AM
Ling

Best way to fish the barrier itself is to get on the saltwater side if the current is flowing that way and get ur boat into the eddies.. and cast a 3/4 oz jig head w gulp swimming mullet into the eddies... let the current work the bait for u. You will catch fish if they are there! If you want bass go onto the fresh side and throw a wacky rigged trick worm up against the concrete structure
Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Best way to fish the barrier itself is to get on the saltwater side if the current is flowing that way and get ur boat into the eddies.. and cast a 3/4 oz jig head w gulp swimming mullet into the eddies... let the current work the bait for u. You will catch fish if they are there! If you want bass go onto the fresh side and throw a wacky rigged trick worm up against the concrete structure

I'll have to try that, that's the first time I've been around that area. You just pass through the barrier ? Nothing else you have to do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 AM
Ling

Sometimes itll be closed and they will open it for u... other times it stays open

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,210

Quote:
If you want bass go onto the fresh side and throw a wacky rigged trick worm up against the concrete structure

A friend told me he mopped up on bass with this same technique last year in the dead heat of summer there.

When they still had the sunken barges on the Sabine River, this same technique also produced. Throw your worm against the flat side of the barge, let it fall straight down...
Used to be a killer.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Ling

Yeah anytime theres vertical structure and current them bass will suspend near it. Its honestly the best presentation for them!