SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 695
Default Paddle crafters

I just wanted to start this thread to show off a pirouge I built couple months back.

If there are any of yall that like paddlecrafting or would be interested in building your own pirouge , check out www.southernpaddler.com .

Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

Nice Work.!!! How long did it take to finsh.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Redfish

Thanks. It takes about 5 days if you take your time. The next one I build Im gonna take more time on the fiberglass work.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 675
Default scarf?

so I can't see a scarf in the middle. Can you get 16' sheets? Also, I run a gusset along the junction of bottom to sides. Where do you get the plywood? Here in Ark. they would laugh at someone wanting marine pkywood!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Redfish

I couldnt find 16' sheets either , White oak is what I used. You can get everything at lowes or home depot. I was told that the wood species is less important than the fiberglassing and resin that you cover it with.

The scarfing takes time , but what ever you do DONT BUTT JOINT the peices togather. If you take your time scarfing , it looks nice. USE titebond 3 for the glue.

For more pirogues and designs visit www.unclejohns.com he is located in Sulphur.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

That's pretty cool. I'd like to make one for myself and for my brother sometime.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

i have thought of making one for quite sometime now. i am no carpenter, but i am pretty handy. my dad is a retired carpenter, and i have access to his shop and tools. i think the other thing is that i have never fooled with fiberglass, and the thought of it intemidates me. is fiberglassing necessary? do you have an idea of the final weight? what dimensions did you go with? was the scarfing hard? i am not so concerned with the looks as i am the function. it would be used for duck hunting.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I did my first ever fiberglassing repair job a couple of years ago. I bought a small kit from Walmart. It is not hard to do, but takes a little practice to make it look "OK".

You have to get everthing ready.....cut your material to the correct size and do any prep work [I was doing repair work] first.

After you mix the resin......you only have a few minutes before it hardens.....so work fast, in a small area. After the fiberglass cures.....sand it down some and add another layer, if needed.

I am not sure how you do a large area, like on a pirouge. I guess the risen is mixed so that it does not cure as fast.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
i have thought of making one for quite sometime now. i am no carpenter, but i am pretty handy. my dad is a retired carpenter, and i have access to his shop and tools. i think the other thing is that i have never fooled with fiberglass, and the thought of it intemidates me. is fiberglassing necessary? do you have an idea of the final weight? what dimensions did you go with? was the scarfing hard? i am not so concerned with the looks as i am the function. it would be used for duck hunting.

First time ever doing fiberglass....easy. just lay the fiber cloth , (found at lowes) over the entire bottom and cover it with resin (also found at lowes).

Just go to www.unclejohns.com and he has all the information in his plans

The final weight is light enough to carry.

Bro. I have never done woodworking or fiberglassing , I built this on my back porch!

The guy at uncle johns is real cool , he lives right there in sulphur and is always welcoming to questions and tips... real cool guy.

The pirogue is surprisingly sturdy and pretty swift and easy to handle.

They are purfect for duck hunting.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I did my first ever fiberglassing repair job a couple of years ago. I bought a small kit from Walmart. It is not hard to do, but takes a little practice to make it look "OK".

You have to get everthing ready.....cut your material to the correct size and do any prep work [I was doing repair work] first.

After you mix the resin......you only have a few minutes before it hardens.....so work fast, in a small area. After the fiberglass cures.....sand it down some and add another layer, if needed.

I am not sure how you do a large area, like on a pirouge. I guess the risen is mixed so that it does not cure as fast.

You are right mix the resin hardner only 25% what the directions say!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Looks good matt. I built one of them a long time ago. Put a lot of dead ducks in it. Ended up starting to get some rot because I didn't glass it. Gave it away. Got a fiberglass one now that gets used heavily durin duck season.