SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486
Default Costa Rica sailfish

Just back from a (mostly) sightseeing vacation with the significant other. I managed to bargain a couple days of fishing in Quepos (SW part of country on Pacific side) a day of offshore and half a day inshore before heading off to other parts of the country.

I inquired on this site several months ago who to go with and was directed by someone to Quepos Fish Adventures and John Schuchert. I'd like to thank that person enthusiastically. It was everything I could have hoped for and more. John is a superb organizer and maintains nice vessels and personnel. He answered every email quickly and personally and was there at the dock both mornings. He's got three boats and is building two more. They are not fast and they're not fancy, but built well and care is taken on the hull to knock down the vibration which John feels is the key to raising sailfish, which is the town's bread and butter.

Fish story soon, but first a bit about the fishery and surroundings. The girlfriend and I did plenty tours in Arenal and Tortuguero, but the nearby Manuel Antonio National Park was by far her favorite. She also took a surfing lesson. There is astounding looking surf for the advanced surfer "brah". The water was calm except for the huge ground swells, something my captain said was the case 200 of the 300 days he fishes per year. The town is nice and friendly with accommodations for every budget.

So I get to the offshore trip a little early. John is there and breaks the bad news: my split charter companion was late. No problem as I know enough about travel to go with the flow. Chatted with the captain who said he had two sails the previous day, but overall it had been slow. December through early May was the optimal sailfish season, but they can usually put their hands on a few during the low season, of which we're in now. I was prepared for this, but obviously really wanted to pop my billfish cherry. We shove off at 7:45 after many, many apologies from my companion. Like I said the 30 foot diesel with tower was relatively slow (18 knots) but it only took an hour to reach the fishing grounds, eschewing the deep drop reef for grouper and snapper.

Soon we were pulling a spread of two long lines, a marlin bait with a ballyhoo and a naked ballyhoo on a circle hook. Two corner short lines with naked ballyhoo and two teasers with a small bird and squid completed the spread. Local deckhand Alex masterfully administered the spread all day spoke pretty good Ingles and made a mean sandwich for lunch. An ice box loaded with water, cerveza and soft drinks was at the ready. Lots of bait was organized in another cooler. Water a perfect deep blue and rod and reels were top quality Shimanos.

The technique is to troll with drag just heavy enough to pull the bait, which was changed every hour or so and freespool when a fish hits. It took an anxious 2 hours to get a hit and I had just awoken from a nap when the long line was passed down to Alex. A few seconds later I had a belt on and was pulling on my first billfish. The captain says that when the crew is focussed on one fish - as opposed to the frequent herds of sails that create chaos during the high season - the land percentage with the circle hooks and an experienced crew is about 95%.

Honestly, I was disappointed at first in the fight. The fish was so far out that it was simply a long slog of pump and wind to get the fish close. The only fireworks were when Alex put a sure and practiced grip on his bill in attempts to get him onboard for a pic. The 80 lb sail thrashed up a storm, soaking the deckie. I got my first bill and was happy, though.

A rainbow runner came aboard next for my podnah and I then insitsed that that wasn't a real turn. So when another sail was hooked it was his turn to have a go. Ten seconds into an awesome flight show, another one hit the long line and we had the boat's first double in many weeks. Clint's fish broke off by severing the leader with his frenzied jumps and I gave my fish to him. He was so thankful after landing it. Little did I know that I was about to be paid back in full.

Thirty minutes later a sail slammed a corner bait, was hooked and I was treated to top notch, if brief acrobatics at long range. This fish was less cooperative on the the way in and caught a spectacularly displayed second wind fifty feet from the boat, with head shakes, horizontal jumps and greyhounding. The captain remarked "It doesn't get any better than that." Soon it was boat side and snapped off, a perfect end to a perfect day on the water. Twenty minutes later we were homeward bound and happy.

I couldn't have asked for a better billfish trip, but the high season typically sees catches well into double digits, with head-scratching lows of five or six. Truly a spectacular place and trip.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Tripletail

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975593.662225.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975617.930545.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975635.848320.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Tripletail

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975704.477097.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975730.864037.jpg

Old 06-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Tripletail

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975800.652537.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975824.103928.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433975845.789607.jpg

Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

Congrats on the sailfish! Nice pics and sounds like ya'll had a blast.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

Wow nice.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Very Nice
Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

Thats awesome!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Awesome pics
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Tripletail

Day two in Costa Rica with a long drive ahead (rental car adventure is how we roll) to the Arenal volcano and hot springs. Half day "inshore" for roosterfish and others. The target was a rooster, which is basically a jack with a cool stripe and an even cooler dorsal fin.

The term Inshore is very simply not offshore. 28 foot open diesel with a T-top among the swells and close to shore. Very cool fishing amongst the giant rock formations with big, rolling waves rolling over them.

The technique was simply bump-trolling live bait on a circle hook, this time with 65 lb braid and a long mono leader and half ounce slip sinker. The bait was a live lookdown, a bait about the size of a huge, thin perch. Or a small flounder. It was bridled through the eye sockets, tossed out a good distance and I was told to hold the line in my finger. When the fish "thumps" it, allow it to run 12 seconds, engage and reel like mad to tighten and set the circle hook.

Which I did about thirty minutes into our drift. The captain also hooked up and when mine pulled off, I took his rod. And so began a long back and forth that was pretty much like a jack crevalle in 60 feet of water with heavy redfish gear. I didn't want to rock the boat and tighten the drag, so I didn't but probably could have and gotten away with it.

20 minutes later a beautiful 20 some-odd pound rooster was in the net and I was sweating. On to some bottom fishing for fast action on small snapper and grouper on cut sardines. And then we beat a hasty retreat, mission accomplished.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Tripletail

PicsImageUploadedByTapatalk1434029221.244691.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434029242.663172.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434029265.930677.jpg

Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Tripletail

Potlickin', Costa Rican styleImageUploadedByTapatalk1434029319.886131.jpg
Hardheads - or some facsimile - in CRImageUploadedByTapatalk1434029379.692468.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434029402.273551.jpg

Old 06-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,267

Awesome report! Man that place is the Bee's Knees! I fished the February leg of the triple crown in Los Suenos this year. It is amazing how many sailfish are in those waters! Headed back to Los Suenos in the morning to do some marlin fishing out at the FAD's. Maybe we will run into a few sails on the way out. Congrats on popping your billfish cherry.