SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964
Default Structurescan & Big Lake?

I've heard a lot of people talk about how structurescan technology is useless for shallow water fishing. A lot of times they are talking super skinny water. Does anyone use it on big lake and feel it's worth the cost? If you use it where do you find it most usefull? is it usable in say turners?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
I've heard a lot of people talk about how structurescan technology is useless for shallow water fishing. A lot of times they are talking super skinny water. Does anyone use it on big lake and feel it's worth the cost? If you use it where do you find it most usefull? is it usable in say turners?
yeah, i think thats B.S. For an example take a look at the Elite Pros, they were fishing in 2' of water and locating ditches with their structure scan. I'd say it would be tremendous help any where.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

Im sure the cone will be more narrow but im like you jpeff it has to help some. But not owning it or having used it i dont know.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

IMO waist for big lake
Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
Im sure the cone will be more narrow but im like you jpeff it has to help some. But not owning it or having used it i dont know.
yeah.. I've never used it either, but for locating reefs or other structures, I think it would be sweet! When you're in deeper water say in the channel or at the rigs, or beaches, I would think it would help find where the fish are. I really dont know though. I'm getting one on my next boat, I can promise you that! No point in putting it on what I have now, it would be worth more than my boat lol
Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
IMO waist for big lake
really?? Have you used one before? Not sarcastic, truly curious. Wouldn't help find reef and different bottom contours? I've used like the industrial side scanners for the work I do, and I can see all kinds of neat things, but we are usually in deeper than 10' of water. I can still locate fish with it.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Most of the time u can see a reef on a regular depth finder. Also find fish at rigs with regular finders. Structure scans are pretty cool tho
Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
really?? Have you used one before? Not sarcastic, truly curious. Wouldn't help find reef and different bottom contours? I've used like the industrial side scanners for the work I do, and I can see all kinds of neat things, but we are usually in deeper than 10' of water. I can still locate fish with it.
its a waist of time if water less than waste deep water, there are weigh better things to spend money on #25orbust

- W

Old 03-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Most of the time u can see a reef on a regular depth finder. Also find fish at rigs with regular finders. Structure scans are pretty cool tho
Of course you can, once you are on top of them with your boat. Lol

Pros use these things in 2' of water and they are able to find structure and ditches.... Best advice I have lol.

My conclusion is if you are trying to find structure to fish without running on top of it, get the side imaging. It would also help keeping your boat at the right distance away from it.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I fish with 6' 8 rods and can feel the bottom in every spot and reef.on the lake!!

Most good fisherman find fish by looking at the surface not the bottom
Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

In freshwater fishing yes they are a tremendous help. But on biglake there no use for them really. Like W said 90% of fish are found by looking at the surface of the water not the bottom.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

They work on Big Lake.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

I've never used structurescan, but I do occasionally use the side imaging feature on my humminbird. I've been using it for a couple years now and I have found a few reefs in big lake and sabine lake while using it. I will admit though, I don't aimlessly drive around with my side scan on and hope I find something. While in shallow water, I usually see something on the surface that draws my attention to check it out with side imaging. For instance, a slick. I'll see a slick in the middle of big lake, catch fish on it, then check out my side imaging and see if the fish are holding on a reef there or if they are just feeding on moving bait. If there is indeed a reef, I'm able to mark it in detail because of the accuracy that my side imaging affords me. Mostly, I've been able to dial in the reefs I already like to fish and now I understand them better by being able to see them in photo quality. Same goes for some of the deeper water spots I fish. I don't know how structure scan will work in shallow water, but I do like my side imaging. Do I absolutely need it? No. Am I glad I have it? Definitely. Do I use it? Occasionally...I find myself fishing in more new water now that I have it and I've learned a lot since I bought it. I know you're talking structurescan and my experience is only with sidescan, but they both do similar things. Just thought I would chip in my 2 cents
Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFisherman View Post
I've never used structurescan, but I do occasionally use the side imaging feature on my humminbird. I've been using it for a couple years now and I have found a few reefs in big lake and sabine lake while using it. I will admit though, I don't aimlessly drive around with my side scan on and hope I find something. While in shallow water, I usually see something on the surface that draws my attention to check it out with side imaging. For instance, a slick. I'll see a slick in the middle of big lake, catch fish on it, then check out my side imaging and see if the fish are holding on a reef there or if they are just feeding on moving bait. If there is indeed a reef, I'm able to mark it in detail because of the accuracy that my side imaging affords me. Mostly, I've been able to dial in the reefs I already like to fish and now I understand them better by being able to see them in photo quality. Same goes for some of the deeper water spots I fish. I don't know how structure scan will work in shallow water, but I do like my side imaging. Do I absolutely need it? No. Am I glad I have it? Definitely. Do I use it? Occasionally...I find myself fishing in more new water now that I have it and I've learned a lot since I bought it. I know you're talking structurescan and my experience is only with sidescan, but they both do similar things. Just thought I would chip in my 2 cents
BOOM! Helpful!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Ling

Quote:
I fish with 6' 8 rods and can feel the bottom in every spot and reef.on the lake!!

Most good fisherman find fish by looking at the surface not the bottom
Of course you can find fish and reefs by looking at the surface, but you have to have water or fish moving to find them-or cast upon them with only your amazing spectacular helium filled waterloos-, but if you have the technology you can find inactive fish and maybe activate them and you'll definitely be able to see the bottom's contour and help locate new areas. From my experience with the down imaging and the side scan that we use at work along with opinions of others, I think the structure scan will enable you to catch more fish-unless your W and already know the location of every reef and fish in the entire lake apparently. Lol
Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
Of course you can find fish and reefs by looking at the surface, but you have to have water or fish moving to find them-or cast upon them with only your amazing spectacular helium filled waterloos-, but if you have the technology you can find inactive fish and maybe activate them and you'll definitely be able to see the bottom's contour and help locate new areas. From my experience with the down imaging and the side scan that we use at work along with opinions of others, I think the structure scan will enable you to catch more fish-unless your W and already know the location of every reef and fish in the entire lake apparently. Lol
LMAO dude no side image will make you catch more fish!! I promise you can have all that dumb crap in your boat and still don't mean you can catch fish!

Sorry I guess I'm not cool because I don't need to see ever bump or hump in water
Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Ling

Quote:
LMAO dude no side image will make you catch more fish!! I promise you can have all that dumb crap in your boat and still don't mean you can catch fish!

Sorry I guess I'm not cool because I don't need to see ever bump or hump in water
I'm just trying to say that the technology is definitely useful and to think its useless is ignorant, plus it's a blast to use.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Ling

Quote:

do you have a depth finder in your boat?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
do you have a depth finder in your boat?
Yea a 6'8 Waterloo
Old 03-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Ling

Quote:
Yea a 6'8 Waterloo