SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Flounder

Cash: 555
Default Boat insurance

Quick question.

If you do not have a lien on a boat, you are only required to have insurance on the trailer correct?

I just started living in my camper full time and have no need to pull my boat around on the trailer anymore because I live like 3 foot from the river. I already had the insurance cancelled on it and turned int he plate.

So can I legally run the boat without insurance on the boat itself?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Yes, insurance on a boat is a good idea but not required. I didnt think you needed insurance on trailer.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Flounder

I know it's a good idea, but I will mostly be a few minutes from my house and I don't feel it's necessary right now.

If it has a plate you have be able to show proof of insurance I think
Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087

The insurance is for accidents on the water also
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,950
Default Insurance

My insurance man informed me that a boat trailer is covered under your auto insurance, so you do not need insurance on the trailer. If you own the boat you are not required to have insurance, however if you have a bank note on the boat the lein holder requires insurance.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

My cousin just bought a used hull for $4,000.00 . Second time out in waters he thought he knew ripped a hole 3 inches wide x 15 inches long. $2000.00 . He now has a $6,000.00 hull. Wish'n he had insurance ......
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

I keep insurance on my boat mainly for liability.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Flounder

Cash: 582

just to give you an idea, I have full coverage on a 20' custom aluminum bay boat and it cost me $360 a year (Allstate). Covers the boat, outboard and liability in case someone gets hurt on the boat, or as a result of an accident involving the boat. Great peace of mind for the cost of a few tanks of fuel. just my 2 cents.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

I have 7K of insurance plus 100k liability with seaworthy through Geico and it cost me $120 a year. I was told your auto insurance doesn't cover your boat while towing. Its worth the piece of mind.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

GET THE INSURANCE ! You never know when someone will get hurt and you don't want them coming after you personally.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:24 AM
Flounder

I had insurance on it before, but then I got out the Navy and took a pay cut to do so. I do will not be using my little 12 ft aluminum flat for more than running trot lines more than 1/2 a mile from where I put it. That part of the river isn't even that busy. Busy would be maybe 2 boats an hour passing. I know it's a good idea, but it's just not in the cards right now. Thank yall though
Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Flounder

Cash: 660

Only liability extends while towing to anything being towed. Not damage coverage.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

my view is it all depends on the boat

if its big enough to damage other boats more then you can pay for out of pocket then get insurance

if its expensive enough that if you damage it you cant fix it out of pocket then get insurance

if kids are going to use it without you being around get insurance

if anything happens on the road your truck insurance also covers any trailer you are towing (and what is on it) so for accidents on the road you don't have to have it but be sure you have good coverage on your truck, if its just basic liability then go back to how much damage can you pay for out of pocket if you wreck your own boat

all that said if you can afford throwing away the extra $30 a month then get the insurance just for peace of mind in having it. also not all boat insurance is the same so make sure it covers everything including some idiot running aground with it, some policies exclude user negligence that damages your own boat
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
my view is it all depends on the boat

if its big enough to damage other boats more then you can pay for out of pocket then get insurance

if its expensive enough that if you damage it you cant fix it out of pocket then get insurance

if kids are going to use it without you being around get insurance

if anything happens on the road your truck insurance also covers any trailer you are towing (and what is on it) so for accidents on the road you don't have to have it but be sure you have good coverage on your truck, if its just basic liability then go back to how much damage can you pay for out of pocket if you wreck your own boat

all that said if you can afford throwing away the extra $30 a month then get the insurance just for peace of mind in having it. also not all boat insurance is the same so make sure it covers everything including some idiot running aground with it, some policies exclude user negligence that damages your own boat

How about this.....It's 30 measly bucks a month......just get the darn insurance for any boat. A person could cut back on all sorts of useless things to get that 30 bucks.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
How about this.....It's 30 measly bucks a month......just get the darn insurance for any boat. A person could cut back on all sorts of useless things to get that 30 bucks.
not everyone has a nice bay boat you know, some of us only need a small flatboat with tiller steering or an old boat that's not worth over $5,000 so why on earth would I help the insurance guy make another payment on his new corvette when I can barely put food in the fridge?

some people have fixed incomes and if $30 a month is so nothing to you then im happy for you to be doing well but to me and many other folks, that $30 is needed to buy groceries

this is why I addressed the question the way I did above, it all depends on each individuals situation as to what is needed or what that can do without because of his unique situation
Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
not everyone has a nice bay boat you know, some of us only need a small flatboat with tiller steering or an old boat that's not worth over $5,000 so why on earth would I help the insurance guy make another payment on his new corvette when I can barely put food in the fridge?

some people have fixed incomes and if $30 a month is so nothing to you then im happy for you to be doing well but to me and many other folks, that $30 is needed to buy groceries

this is why I addressed the question the way I did above, it all depends on each individuals situation as to what is needed or what that can do without because of his unique situation

I hear ya but, I got rid of cable tv, gym membership, paying for lunch everyday at a restaurant. There are ways to find that extra little bit of money. I don't have a nice boat. In fact it's a POS. but I have insurance on it. Don't matter how small you boat is. what if something happens? If the person can't afford the $30 they surely won't be able to fix what's damaged. Then what?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:

For a 5K policy you good get insurance for about $100 a year. To me that's worth the peace of mind.