SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 554
Default Backhoe service

First let me introduce myself . I am presently living in south Miami Florida(paradise lost!!) I have spent the last 25 years in golf course construction all around the world. My wife and I are ready to get out of Havana North and relocate some where on the gulf coast . Her family is from Austin Tx. My are in southern Illinois . we both love Louisiana and it is in driving distance to both are family's . We really like lafayette .
I am in the process of deciding what to do in regards to a new business . My thought are to buy a new backhoe and start working it. My question to all you guys on the forum is do you think I can keep busy and make A few dollars?

I appreciate any and all advise .

Luckybone
Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

The Baton Rouge area is going crazy with construction right now. Ascension Parish, where I'm at is building as fast as they can stand em up. In the next several years, the I-10 corridor, from Houston to New Orleans is showing industrial construction to be over $6 billion. Not sure if this is the exact info you are looking for but, it may be a start.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

the housing market is where you are going to make money. new construction. im right in the middle of it in lafayette/youngsville. the contractors sub out EVERYTHING. a backhoe would not be a piece of equipment you want. mainly because its too much machine for what you need to do. get a skid steer, a small excavator in the 30 class and 3 mexicans or good hands. start doing slabs. right now there are only a handful of guys doing concrete work and they are stupid busy. if you really wanted to make a killing get into the electrical field. there are only 3 companies here that do good work and they charge what they want and people pay cause its done right the first time. between lafayette and baton rouge there is plenty opportunity.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
the housing market is where you are going to make money. new construction. im right in the middle of it in lafayette/youngsville. the contractors sub out EVERYTHING. a backhoe would not be a piece of equipment you want. mainly because its too much machine for what you need to do. get a skid steer, a small excavator in the 30 class and 3 mexicans or good hands. start doing slabs. right now there are only a handful of guys doing concrete work and they are stupid busy. if you really wanted to make a killing get into the electrical field. there are only 3 companies here that do good work and they charge what they want and people pay cause its done right the first time. between lafayette and baton rouge there is plenty opportunity.
Damn only 3 electrical contractors that do good work? I guess all my customers must just call somebody else for all the problems i leave them with.....
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Damn only 3 electrical contractors that do good work? I guess all my customers must just call somebody else for all the problems i leave them with.....
I can tell you one of em isnt... Chris's electric. Worst electricians in the history of the world
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I can tell you one of em isnt... Chris's electric. Worst electricians in the history of the world
They have "some" good people that work for them. I think they just have so many people and so much work that its hard to get consistency with them. In order to run an operation that big. You have to have a few really good people that can help micro manage, and check behind on all your jobs. Good help is hard to find. Really good help is hard to keep.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 554

Very interesting stuff .. What about the oilfield?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybone View Post
Very interesting stuff .. What about the oilfield?
You better bring a bucket on money if you want to play on that field. Between equipment $, insurance $$ and contacts, you'll be playing 3rd string. Unless you plan to give your work away to get it, you won't break into oilfield construction and survive or stay married. Previous suggestions sound like they would be more doable IMO. Best bet would be to join the local Home Builders Association where ever you land and get involved. HB's look for and need dependable subs all over the state. Are you fluent in Spanish? Running a crew of Beaners can make you a fortune down here.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You better bring a bucket on money if you want to play on that field. Between equipment $, insurance $$ and contacts, you'll be playing 3rd string. Unless you plan to give your work away to get it, you won't break into oilfield construction and survive or stay married. Previous suggestions sound like they would be more doable IMO. Best bet would be to join the local Home Builders Association where ever you land and get involved. HB's look for and need dependable subs all over the state. Are you fluent in Spanish? Running a crew of Beaners can make you a fortune down here.
X10!!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

All you have is a backhoe? What kind of work are you lookin to do? I is confused.