SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391
Default Best trip ever

What is the best trout trip you have ever had? Not only numbers, but size, also.

In the spring of '98, a buddy and myself were fishing an island in Black Bay in St. Bernard Parish. We landed 23 trout that morning that weighed a total of 113 pounds. Included in that stringer was a 9.13 and an 8.6. The fish were caught on a Silver Flash Bomber in 2' of water. Fish were bustin' mullet all over the place. I've never seen anything like it since. Amazing thing is....my bud threw a topwater at first and they wouldn't touch it.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

This year....8.4lbr..6.14lbr...6.9...6.2...and about 30 more fish w/ fours and fives in the mix all within 2hrs! All i had was my wife in the boat taking pics and short vids. And all were on Sand Eel. Sick part was I lost a fish boatside that made the 8.4 look like a 6. The wife wanted to net a fish so I showed her how on the fish i landed right b4 I hooked that hog. She decided that when the fish got boatside that she'd jab the dang thing w/ the freakn net. Out pops the hook! HAH! there goes a new boat! TALK ABOUT PIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZED! And yeah....I banned her from the net!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahunaz View Post
This year....8.4lbr..6.14lbr...6.9...6.2...and about 30 more fish w/ fours and fives in the mix all within 2hrs! All i had was my wife in the boat taking pics and short vids. And all were on Sand Eel. Sick part was I lost a fish boatside that made the 8.4 look like a 6. The wife wanted to net a fish so I showed her how on the fish i landed right b4 I hooked that hog. She decided that when the fish got boatside that she'd jab the dang thing w/ the freakn net. Out pops the hook! HAH! there goes a new boat! TALK ABOUT PIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZED! And yeah....I banned her from the net!
you need to keep bringing her to keep her in practice, you never know when she might be able to help you land that big one
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Great White

Quote:

Dang! What a trip! This was during S.T.A.R.?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

well...this isn't be best trip ever.....but we almost had our limit W hooked up to a big trout, gets 10ft from the boat her head came out the water shaking and it was over. Put it to yall like this he lost a boat
Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
well...this isn't be best trip ever.....but we almost had our limit W hooked up to a big trout, gets 10ft from the boat her head came out the water shaking and it was over. Put it to yall like this he lost a boat

A 1300CC Sea Fox?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
A 1300CC Sea Fox?

nautic star
Old 06-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default Best trip ever

There are a few here that can remember the old days.
My best trip ever was back b4 anyone worried about limits.
8 of us loaded up in a van and another 2 guys drove a pick up truck w/ the ice chest in the back.
Went to our favorite lil bank fishing spot . An old sand pit along la1.
rented a camp for 1 night and commenced catching specks on wobble rite spoons EVERY CAST FOR 1 1/2 DAYS. . We would fill an ice chest 2 guys would go fillet. next ice chest 2 different guys fillet.
We came home w/ enough ice chest of fillets to fill everyones freezer and sell the rest to pay for our trip. Everyone fished that way back then.
I'm figureing probably 16 or maybe a few more 48 qt chest at least 2/3 full of fillets w/ ice on bottom and top.
Now before all the bashin starts : This is a true story and it did happen every day all along the coast.
The area that we caught all these trout is now just a big exspanse of open water the camps are gone and so is the marsh. if you didn't know there was a sand pit there you'd think it was just a big flat.
And yes the trout are still there. You just have to have a small boat or kayak to get to them.
I am not proud of the slaughter that we did to our resource but back then it was the way we all fished . you counted a good trip not by how many fish but how many boxes of fillets.

BUT!!! Now. How can ANYONE SAY That a 25 fish limit is going to deplete the speck population? We would clean thousands of fish in a weekend . we weren't the only ones doing this, Everyone fished that way.
I'm Not against a limit of 25 fish at all. I'm just against the chicken littles that cry that 25 fish is to many and that we are killing ALL the trout.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned

around 500 total fish in about 8 hours, most all over 15-16 inches with at least 20 or more over 5 pounds, two fish in the 28 inch range.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
around 500 total fish in about 8 hours, most all over 15-16 inches with at least 20 or more over 5 pounds, two fish in the 28 inch range.

You musta been with "Looter Dood" and them guys from Texas on Big Lake.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Chandeleur Island Trip...Last Summer...8 People..200 trout in 1 hour and 45 minutes on top dog she dogs and catch 2000s..it was the greatest thing id ever seen they were killing so many live bait fish that the bait would float to the top the water and it was like the trout were doing a dance on top the water eating them...that day we caught 7 fish in the 6+ range...it was truly a once in a liftime experience....
Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Chandeleur Island Trip...Last Summer...8 People..200 trout in 1 hour and 45 minutes on top dog she dogs and catch 2000s..it was the greatest thing id ever seen they were killing so many live bait fish that the bait would float to the top the water and it was like the trout were doing a dance on top the water eating them...that day we caught 7 fish in the 6+ range...it was truly a once in a liftime experience....

Damn, I was hopin' we could do it again.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:18 PM
King Mackeral

lol i know the boat we can charter out there...sleep on and fish all day all over the islands in 15 foot carolina skiffs..meals drinks all included...the greatest trip ive ever had in my life....if i could ever get 10 people together id book it again.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

my best trip was a bass fishing trip up at toledo bend, me and my dad and unlce about 2 years ago went up on a cold day after a front in december and boated over 125 bass, most around 12 inches, but we still got so much action for 2 hours, we each kept our limits of 2-4 pounders

This was at the 1215 area for those familar with the lake
Old 06-28-2009, 12:33 PM
King Mackeral

Bounce Salty Reply & Fish Preservation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Dang! What a trip! This was during S.T.A.R.?

Yep! This year. May 28th on an evening trip.

I've got a question for you guys... I kept that fish which on a hundredths scale was 8.20 on ice to weigh it in. I submerged her in the ice. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get her weighed in. ( Included boat ride from south end of lake to heberts, loading and trailering to calcasieu point.) Do you think she lost an ounce or two? What is the best way to preserve a fish for optimal weighing weight if you don't have a live well? dump the ice out and put saltwater in chest?
Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Swordfish

maybe cold saltwater? like ice and saltwater?

thats a really good question
Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Yep! This year. May 28th on an evening trip.

I've got a question for you guys... I kept that fish which on a hundredths scale was 8.20 on ice to weigh it in. I submerged her in the ice. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get her weighed in. ( Included boat ride from south end of lake to heberts, loading and trailering to calcasieu point.) Do you think she lost an ounce or two? What is the best way to preserve a fish for optimal weighing weight if you don't have a live well? dump the ice out and put saltwater in chest?

keep it alive or atleast in water..
Old 06-28-2009, 12:55 PM
King Mackeral

Well I read somthing about a saltwater fish losing weight if you put them in freshwater or Ice due to osmosis.? How true is this?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

why did u trailer from heberts to cal point ?? its only another 10 minutes by boat ride.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Swordfish

good question, i just noticed that he said that. its a max 10 min boat ride