SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 11-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124
Default Da trolling motor blues

My old trolling motor head has gotten brittle, and it broke a while back. The motor still worked but the arrow on top quit turning. Amazing how handy that thing is. I just tore it apart and with Peggy's help got the gears back together and with super glue mostly on my hands and some tape got it all put back together. I hate super glue and now my fingers are peeling and I accidentally got the dang tube glued to my thumb. The stinking stuff is so thin ya cant point it up and squeeze I learned da hard way.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

haha stupid things. got to have them though!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Would happen to be speaking of a minn kota....Mines not that old and the pointer just popped out and what a stroke of luck it went in and under water. Well after I picked the motor up to run in it was a lil choppy and I saw something bouncing around in the hole where the pointer was. Yep it bounced out and did it fall in the boat? Nope in the water....Well I took it apart and theres only one screw holding everything together and its screwed into the bottom part of the housing and its where its screwed in that cracked off.....Oh well , plugged the hole . I didn't look at that arrow anyway....
Old 11-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

I hadda go look. It came with the boat and I aint a gear head, 10 years old or so and still runs just the head got all brittle. Ya guessed it buba, minkota. I had a fit getting the cable gear and go between gear and arrow gear and arrow thingy that set on the arrow gear all together. 4 screws held the top part to the bottom part but the bottom part was broken and it cracked a gap open alowing that stuff to all come loos. Luckily all in the motor and not bayou. It was a fight and I also would up with a couple broke off screws but I got it glued together and it works. Where the arrow helps me alot is when moving very slow where ya jsut bump it or manouvering around a tree top for sacs easy to forget which way wa were last going, or how far to press ya toe to kick out. When moving steady down the bank no worries. Now as long as no one needs my thumb print for a while Ill be ok I hope...
Old 11-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

No glueing mine. It actually cracked off where the screw that holds everything together for the arrow screws into. Only one screw in plastic to hold it all together. I would have to replace the bottom of head and the parts I littered in the lake. A piece of gill net float with a piece of innertube fits snug enough to seal and not come out. The fish still coming over the side so I guess they don't mind either. I hope you hold together cause they aint cheap to replace.........