SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Flounder

Cash: 629
Default Bass Fishing help

We just moved down here and looking for a few places to fish from shore. We have been to Sam Houston Jones and not a lot of luck so far. Don't know of any other places. It's me and my 17 yr old son, and if there is a boat involved I am will to pay for the trip! You can call me @ 304-479-3522

Thanks
Jeff Francis
Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I don't know it you are interested in saltwater fishing. I wrote this up a while back.

Saltwater …….Bank fishing in Lake Charles Area

Here is a list of a few places where you can salt water fish from the bank. I will start with the Northern most. When there has not been much rain and the water is salty, the Trout and Red fishing can be fairly good.
  • There is a fish dock and boat launch in Westlake about a mile north of I-10. This is mostly used by people to catch crabs but I think they also catch drum, sheephead and red fish. There are two covered park benches and Pot-a-potty bathroom there.
  • About a ¼ mile south of this boat launch is an old shell boat launch that I think a person could fish along the bank there.
  • I saw a report a few years ago where a person fished under I-10 Bridge on the West side and caught several red fish.
  • North of I-10 on the East side, there is a boat launch and some open bank.
  • South of I-10 on the East side is the beach swimming area (this is Lake Charles) where a person could fish.
  • By the Civic Center is a long walking path all along the lake. I understand at times some people catch fairly well there [specks sometimes]. I think to fish this area requires the person to get a permit from the city….I don’t know why, but I have heard this.
  • North of I-210 on the East side of the bridge is a boat launch and some area where people fish from the bank.
  • South of I-210 on the east side of the bridge is another swimming area.
  • About a ½ mile south of I-210 is Prien Lake Park and boat launch which has a bulk head along the bank.
  • When facing the Prien Lake boat launch, about 300 yards out on the left is where a bayou comes out. Fishing the opening of this bayou is fairly good (by boat) when the tide is moving. All the property on the East side is part of the Park and you could fish from this bank.
  • Farther south……go down Big Lake road about 5 miles (?) south of Lake Charles, turn right just after passing the LNG plant and go the Calcasieu Point boat launch. You can fish along the bank there or use the fishing pier.
  • Drive down Big Lake road about 1.5 miles and just after you cross the Intercostals water way, there is a small dock on the right side where I often see people fishing.
  • At Cameron…..there is a nice fishing pier on the ship channel just a ½ mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Big Drum and Red fish can be caught there.
  • There are several places to fish from the bank along Hwy 27 south of Sulphur in the Sabine NWR. Check the fishing rules before going there.
  • There are several public beaches along the coast where you can catch large Red Fish. If you can go after there is a light North wind for a couple of days the water will get somewhat clear (it is usually muddy) and Trout can be caught along the beach.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Flounder

Cash: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I don't know it you are interested in saltwater fishing. I wrote this up a while back.

Saltwater …….Bank fishing in Lake Charles Area

Here is a list of a few places where you can salt water fish from the bank. I will start with the Northern most. When there has not been much rain and the water is salty, the Trout and Red fishing can be fairly good.
  • There is a fish dock and boat launch in Westlake about a mile north of I-10. This is mostly used by people to catch crabs but I think they also catch drum, sheephead and red fish. There are two covered park benches and Pot-a-potty bathroom there.
  • About a ¼ mile south of this boat launch is an old shell boat launch that I think a person could fish along the bank there.
  • I saw a report a few years ago where a person fished under I-10 Bridge on the West side and caught several red fish.
  • North of I-10 on the East side, there is a boat launch and some open bank.
  • South of I-10 on the East side is the beach swimming area (this is Lake Charles) where a person could fish.
  • By the Civic Center is a long walking path all along the lake. I understand at times some people catch fairly well there [specks sometimes]. I think to fish this area requires the person to get a permit from the city….I don’t know why, but I have heard this.
  • North of I-210 on the East side of the bridge is a boat launch and some area where people fish from the bank.
  • South of I-210 on the east side of the bridge is another swimming area.
  • About a ½ mile south of I-210 is Prien Lake Park and boat launch which has a bulk head along the bank.
  • When facing the Prien Lake boat launch, about 300 yards out on the left is where a bayou comes out. Fishing the opening of this bayou is fairly good (by boat) when the tide is moving. All the property on the East side is part of the Park and you could fish from this bank.
  • Farther south……go down Big Lake road about 5 miles (?) south of Lake Charles, turn right just after passing the LNG plant and go the Calcasieu Point boat launch. You can fish along the bank there or use the fishing pier.
  • Drive down Big Lake road about 1.5 miles and just after you cross the Intercostals water way, there is a small dock on the right side where I often see people fishing.
  • At Cameron…..there is a nice fishing pier on the ship channel just a ½ mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Big Drum and Red fish can be caught there.
  • There are several places to fish from the bank along Hwy 27 south of Sulphur in the Sabine NWR. Check the fishing rules before going there.
  • There are several public beaches along the coast where you can catch large Red Fish. If you can go after there is a light North wind for a couple of days the water will get somewhat clear (it is usually muddy) and Trout can be caught along the beach.
Thank you Gerald!! We will give that a try also as we will fish for anything!
any certain baits we should use as we have only fished for bass up north.

Thank you again!!
Jeff