SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 479
Default CCA-Issues

They used the same science that was used when it attempted to pass a ban on bowfishing and failed.

I have never been a CCA supporter, however, I had supported the original GCCA. Now it is just a money racket for a given few.

This was attempted before by CCA. It had already tried to regulate triple tail several years ago behind closed doors and without their membership's support or knowledge. That failed and now they suucceded with this regulation.

That is why only one of every 7 fisherpeople now fish the STAR.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Wil, is that you?
Lmao, i thought the same thing
Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

why doesnt everybody get together and get with your local representatives and have a meeting about it?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by schol View Post
Honestly, how many fish do you really need? Are you seriously so hungry that 15 trout won't last you until you're next trip? If you know what you're doing enough to catch 15, chances are you get out there enough to replenish your supply plenty. As far as a triple tail limit goes, why not? Who cares what sort of evidence they have, all they want to do is ensure we have a lasting supply before the feds find a way to step in and screw us over like they did with snapper. After all, everyone here knows that fish isn't any good after you freeze it anyway.
Sam? Shouldn't you be in school?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Pretty easy to complain on a Internet forum and then say I told you so. It's the same reason the gov is out of control.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Next thing u know they will outlaw using plastic baits due to pollution
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

In honor of this thread I'm gonna take some apparently now no good frozen 3tail out of the freezer tonight and cook it up.

BROWN FIN
Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

I target Tripletail very often this time of year. I may fish them 3 times a week mid July-Mid Sept. On a good trip you will catch 7-8 occasionally 10-12 with many trips being 1-2.

Point being, if the limit is 5 per, 99% of the time you ain't catching your limit anyway. So to me this regulation is moot.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Guys.. Just FYI... I'm not against a limit.. I have concern with going from none to 5 and then 18" min.. That's is a very LARGE Trip...

I spoke to a WL&F commission member this every morning... This is only a letter of intent..

120 day public comment period.. Call the WL&F biologist.. Call WL& F period. Let them know how U feel..

Get the email the of every one of the commission members... Email them.. They will vote on this after the 120 day period is up..

With that said.. I've only caught about 10 Trips last yr.. NONE this yr..

I also want to see some science that supports the 18" size limits. But I'm willing to listen to biologist and others on this subject.. Just not say I'm finished with an organization since they have a view different than mine.

I'm a practicing Catholic.. But that doesn't mean I believe EVERTHING the Catholic church comes out with..AHHHHHHH NO.. I can still practice my faith and not agree with everything the church says or does..

Well probably a bad analogy.. But hopefully U get the picture.

But when MANY on this site post Pic's of 50, 60, 100 or MORE trips being caught.. That is exactly the ammo the state will use to set a limit..

Many on this site posted those pictures in the last month or so when this issue has come up..

The other gulf states have limits on Trips... I'm thinking that LA just wants to have a limit to be in line with other states..

Commercially these fish are over fished in my opinion.. Shrimp skimmers can and do literally catch hundreds of 1000's of lbs. of them and then sale them..

Just my 2 cents..

Gunner AKA "Biggun"

337-781-9581
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Guys.. Just FYI... I'm not against a limit.. I have concern with going from none to 5 and then 18" min.. That's is a very LARGE Trip...

I spoke to a WL&F commission member this every morning... This is only a letter of intent..

120 day public comment period.. Call the WL&F biologist.. Call WL& F period. Let them know how U feel..

Get the email the of every one of the commission members... Email them.. They will vote on this after the 120 day period is up..

With that said.. I've only caught about 10 Trips last yr.. NONE this yr..

I also want to see some science that supports the 18" size limits. But I'm willing to listen to biologist and others on this subject.. Just not say I'm finished with an organization since they have a view different than mine.

I'm a practicing Catholic.. But that doesn't mean I believe EVERTHING the Catholic church comes out with..AHHHHHHH NO.. I can still practice my faith and not agree with everything the church says or does..

Well probably a bad analogy.. But hopefully U get the picture.

But when MANY on this site post Pic's of 50, 60, 100 or MORE trips being caught.. That is exactly the ammo the state will use to set a limit..

Many on this site posted those pictures in the last month or so when this issue has come up..

The other gulf states have limits on Trips... I'm thinking that LA just wants to have a limit to be in line with other states..

Commercially these fish are over fished in my opinion.. Shrimp skimmers can and do literally catch hundreds of 1000's of lbs. of them and then sale them..

Just my 2 cents..

Gunner AKA "Biggun"

337-781-9581
This article says public comment ends Sept 5th http://wlf.la.gov/news/36868 That is also what my uncle told me
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Great White

Here is the link to the member of WLF commission
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/louisia...d-fisheries-co
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Hey they said it best "its smart conservation " = no research or facts , just money

Btw have you noticed the more CCA pushes this non fact issues the smaller the STAR prizes become???

They keep pissing off charter captains and people who know 100% more about our waters than they do...word will keep getting out until we get a Delta Waterfowl of Water started
W is exactly right!! Delta analogy is spot on.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

LTFOL!! Did u see who was on the commission?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,642

5 fish limit. Ain't nobody got time for that!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375817738.735935.jpg
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Anyone have a form letter of what to tell these guys if we decide to write to them?

From what I've read through it seems that they want the 18" size limit so that more fish reach sexual maturity and they want the 5 fish limit to coincide with other states that have TT limits.

What are the arguments the other way?... I've read through 4 pages of you guys saying you want science to back a change but you haven't really given any good reasons to leave it the way it is... I'll write to the commission and to Jason Adriance (the person the article directs you to write comments to) but I need something to substantiate the opposition of this proposed Notice of Intent.

If you guys can give me some good information I'll gladly post my letter for others to copy and paste.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachaser250 View Post
W is exactly right!! Delta analogy is spot on.
Elaborate please.....
Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
Anyone have a form letter of what to tell these guys if we decide to write to them?

From what I've read through it seems that they want the 18" size limit so that more fish reach sexual maturity and they want the 5 fish limit to coincide with other states that have TT limits.

What are the arguments the other way?... I've read through 4 pages of you guys saying you want science to back a change but you haven't really given any good reasons to leave it the way it is... I'll write to the commission and to Jason Adriance (the person the article directs you to write comments to) but I need something to substantiate the opposition of this proposed Notice of Intent.

If you guys can give me some good information I'll gladly post my letter for others to copy and paste.
1. Triple tail are a migratory species so there is no real way to do a stock assessment that I have seen.

2.Females reach sexual maturity before they are 2 years old and only live till they are 10 years old

3. Females spawn 18-31 times in a season with an average female
producing 4.5 to 9 million eggs in a season

4. Males are mature before they are 1 year old and 12 inches long
Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
1. Triple tail are a migratory species so there is no real way to do a stock assessment that I have seen.

2.Females reach sexual maturity before they are 2 years old and only live till they are 10 years old WHAT IS THE AVERAGE LENGTH OF THE FEMALES AT 2 YEARS OF AGE?

3. Females spawn 18-31 times in a season with an average female
producing 4.5 to 9 million eggs in a season

4. Males are mature before they are 1 year old and 12 inches long
Good information here... This is the type of information I was looking for... I'm no tripletail expert for sure but I can write a letter to argue the points... I just need to know the points... haha
Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
Good information here... This is the type of information I was looking for... I'm no tripletail expert for sure but I can write a letter to argue the points... I just need to know the points... haha
Me either.... Got all my info from Jerald Horst's Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico book

Not really sure but over 20 inches.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Tripletail

Found a little information on Wikipedia too...

Both Florida and Georgia have a bag limit of two fish per day for recreational fishing. In Florida, the minimum length is 15 inches; in Georgia, 18 inches