SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

the problem: theyre politicians and they lie to get where they want and lie about what theyre doing. we live in the second most corrupt state in the nation, preceded only by mississippi. how do you get money if they (such as our governor) uses money thats been set aside for these projects for his own political beliefs!?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

the "power" is not in our hands. its in the hands of the CCA and similar organizations. they are supposed to be our voice. they speak for our conservation efforts. but they dont. its all about getting rich and lying about it. just a matter of how long you can do it before people catch on and if you get caught
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincecum View Post
to get money you have to push for money. Im not talking about building a 12 million dollar pipeline to build up a spot in Joe Blows privately owned marsh. Im talking about taking it the beaches and rebuilding lost coastline. Yes this takes money from our gooberment but if it is taken to them in a viable manor stating what good could be done for our coastline rather some private entity it may not fall on deaf ears. How many campaigns and groups are out there pushing to restore coastline??? If these government officials preach it but dont feel the need to act upon it when it is put in front of them then we have found a root part of the problem and it will be up to us, "the people", to help solve the problem.
correct,
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
I asked about the Speckled Trout Stock Assessments data. The last guy (I think his name was Harry Blanchette?) said that they continually collect data and that they have the data but that it is only posted every 3-5 years.

I asked that question specifically because of all the talk on SC. I couldn't remember what the historical postings of this data was during the meeting so I asked if it was historically posted annually and he said no.

After the meeting I was pondering that response and it hit me that maybe it was historically posted every 3 years in the past? 2004 - 2007 - 2010... Either way if they are saying 3-5 years it should be published soon.
It's Blanchet... Ive had a few discussions with him about fisheries data in the last few months and he told me they are working on getting the best data possible and hope to release it soon
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
When the lake salinity drops in the northern part like by Conni , let's open that weir and let the low salinity water flow into the marsh that way your keep your marsh lower and allowing flow

guy said Manangement Plan don't allow that

That Managanent plan is out data and I'm sure it could use an overhaul with new solutions

It's what 39years old? That's before I was born and lots of things have changed and it needs to be updated and evaluated better

Weirs should never be closed longer than a 2 weeks

Every Full Moon and New Moon they should be open for 72 hrs
I don't recall him saying the management plan doesn't allow it. I recall them continually referencing that it isn't just about salinity. There are multiple factors that determine the opening of the weirs. He also said there is a delayed reaction between the northern portion of the lake and the southern portion by the weirs. Just because the salinity is low up north doesn't make it low down south. I believe MG has said that many times on here.

And again, the management plan was created in 1987. That's 27 years old. And there is nothing now about the science behind marsh management and salinities that contradicts what was known in 1987. The only difference now is there were a couple of one time events (hurricanes) that set back the progress the weirs were making.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
It's Blanchet... Ive had a few discussions with him about fisheries data in the last few months and he told me they are working on getting the best data possible and hope to release it soon
Blanchet is a quality fellow, first rate biologist. I'm not sure he would fall on his sword in the face of LDWF stupidity, but he has a solid track record of good science on spotted seatrout.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

The are 2 ways to change the oyster harvest in Big Lake:
1. Get the legislature to change the law
2. Get the Commission to lower the sack limit more than it is at now.

Ideally it would be the legislature. Problem will be that we need to get statewide support for this or it ain't going to fly. The oyster fishermen are organized and will oppose any change. I believe I can get the bill introduced, but need support first.

CCA Executive Director David Cresson said he had not heard of the rocking of the Washout area until last night and he was going to bring it to some Governor's committee.

As much as it has been talked about here, you would think that he would of heard of it from some of the LC Board members before last night.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

I hate I missed this meeting. The group should not rest on the issues of the lake. I hope that a better management of the oystering of our lake is developed and implemented.

I recently visited Charleston, SC. They seem to have a wonderful oyster management system there. I assume CCA is in this area. Seems that some type of knowledge share and didn't ideas should be available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (36.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (34.4 KB, 136 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Article about the meeting

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6849
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Blanchet is a quality fellow, first rate biologist. I'm not sure he would fall on his sword in the face of LDWF stupidity, but he has a solid track record of good science on spotted seatrout.
All he can do is present the data, after that it is up to the commission to make the decisions. I have every confidence he will help compile and present to best, most accurate data possible.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
All he can do is present the data, after that it is up to the commission to make the decisions. I have every confidence he will help compile and present to best, most accurate data possible.
you just bragging cause he is your uncle.

Hush..

Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Oh, we counted chairs last night. They had about 150 chairs out, so I would guess there was 170 ish people last night.

And 60 people viewing this thread
Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
you just bragging cause he is your uncle.

Hush..

Old 07-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

Weirs should never be closed longer than a 2 weeks

Every Full Moon and New Moon they should be open for 72 hrs
What scientific data are you basing that on? Or do you only call for strict adherence to scientific data when you think it supports what's convenient for you in the short term?

There is no question that salt intrusion kills marsh and causes subsidence, if you think having the weirs closed impacts your fishing negatively now, wait until that marsh is gone.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
What scientific data are you basing that on? Or do you only call for strict adherence to scientific data when you think it supports what's convenient for you in the short term?

There is no question that salt intrusion kills marsh and causes subsidence, if you think having the weirs closed impacts your fishing negatively now, wait until that marsh is gone.
What about when the salinity behind the weir is higher than In the lake and they won't open them because it hasn't rained?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
This is a very well written, informative article. Thanks for the link.

Recommended reading folks!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Is this the only law on oysters on Calcasieu?

RS 56:435.1.1

§435.1.1. Oyster harvest in Calcasieu Lake

A.(1) Oyster harvesting in Calcasieu Lake shall be prohibited except by special permit issued annually by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries or as authorized by Paragraph (D)(2) of this Section. The commission shall promulgate rules and regulations to delineate the procedures by which the permits shall be issued.

(2) Such permit shall be in addition to all other licenses and permits required for harvesting of oysters. At all times, such oyster harvesting shall be limited to using tongs, a hand dredge, a single dredge with mechanical assist that has a tooth bar no more than thirty-six inches long; or use of a single scraper with mechanical assist and a flat bar length of no more than thirty-six inches is allowed.

B. All vessels used for the commercial harvest of oysters on Calcasieu Lake must be self-propelled. "Self-propelled" means, when used in this Section, that the vessel shall travel under its own power to its harvest area and when loaded with oysters, shall travel under its own power to the place where the oysters are unloaded.

C. The commission shall fix the open season for oyster harvest in Calcasieu Lake, which shall begin on any date between October fifteenth and November first and shall end on April thirtieth. However, in consultation with the Calcasieu Oyster Task Force, the commission may open or close the season as biological data indicate a need and may manage East Cove and West Cove separately.

D.(1) After considering the recommendations by the Calcasieu Oyster Task Force, the commission shall set the harvest limit so that each permittee may harvest an amount not to exceed twenty-five sacks of oysters per day from one, and only one, licensed vessel. In addition, one and only one permittee may harvest from each licensed vessel per day and no vessel shall be used for more than one trip per day.

(2) In addition, recreational fishermen may harvest oysters as provided in R.S. 56:424(C). Harvest limits for recreational fishermen shall be one sack per person per day.

E.(1) Violation of any provision of this Section or of any Wildlife and Fisheries Commission regulation pertaining to taking, possessing, recording or reporting of landings or selling oysters from Calcasieu Lake shall constitute a Class 4 violation. The offender shall also be penalized as follows:

(a) For a first offense, the offender shall forfeit any permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and shall be barred from obtaining such permit for the remainder of the period for which it was issued plus one year, during which time the offender shall be barred from participating in any oyster harvesting activity on Calcasieu Lake.

(b) For a second offense, the offender shall forfeit any permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and shall be barred from obtaining a permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake for the remainder of the period for which it was issued plus two years, during which time the offender shall be barred from participating in any oyster harvesting activity on Calcasieu Lake.

(c) For a third offense, the offender shall forfeit any permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and shall be permanently barred from obtaining a permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and from participating in any oyster harvesting activity on Calcasieu Lake.

(2) Any person who participates in oyster harvesting on Calcasieu Lake while barred shall be penalized under the provisions of a Class 7-B violation.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjethro85 View Post
What about when the salinity behind the weir is higher than In the lake and they won't open them because it hasn't rained?
If you have 30 ppt in the marsh, and 15 in the lake, how much good is it really going to do to open the weirs?

Not much. An intermediate or brackish marsh can't take much over 10 ppt, so its irrelevant if you let 15 ppt in to an area that is 20+.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Is this the only law on oysters on Calcasieu?

RS 56:435.1.1

§435.1.1. Oyster harvest in Calcasieu Lake

A.(1) Oyster harvesting in Calcasieu Lake shall be prohibited except by special permit issued annually by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries or as authorized by Paragraph (D)(2) of this Section. The commission shall promulgate rules and regulations to delineate the procedures by which the permits shall be issued.

(2) Such permit shall be in addition to all other licenses and permits required for harvesting of oysters. At all times, such oyster harvesting shall be limited to using tongs, a hand dredge, a single dredge with mechanical assist that has a tooth bar no more than thirty-six inches long; or use of a single scraper with mechanical assist and a flat bar length of no more than thirty-six inches is allowed.

B. All vessels used for the commercial harvest of oysters on Calcasieu Lake must be self-propelled. "Self-propelled" means, when used in this Section, that the vessel shall travel under its own power to its harvest area and when loaded with oysters, shall travel under its own power to the place where the oysters are unloaded.

C. The commission shall fix the open season for oyster harvest in Calcasieu Lake, which shall begin on any date between October fifteenth and November first and shall end on April thirtieth. However, in consultation with the Calcasieu Oyster Task Force, the commission may open or close the season as biological data indicate a need and may manage East Cove and West Cove separately.

D.(1) After considering the recommendations by the Calcasieu Oyster Task Force, the commission shall set the harvest limit so that each permittee may harvest an amount not to exceed twenty-five sacks of oysters per day from one, and only one, licensed vessel. In addition, one and only one permittee may harvest from each licensed vessel per day and no vessel shall be used for more than one trip per day.

(2) In addition, recreational fishermen may harvest oysters as provided in R.S. 56:424(C). Harvest limits for recreational fishermen shall be one sack per person per day.

E.(1) Violation of any provision of this Section or of any Wildlife and Fisheries Commission regulation pertaining to taking, possessing, recording or reporting of landings or selling oysters from Calcasieu Lake shall constitute a Class 4 violation. The offender shall also be penalized as follows:

(a) For a first offense, the offender shall forfeit any permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and shall be barred from obtaining such permit for the remainder of the period for which it was issued plus one year, during which time the offender shall be barred from participating in any oyster harvesting activity on Calcasieu Lake.

(b) For a second offense, the offender shall forfeit any permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and shall be barred from obtaining a permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake for the remainder of the period for which it was issued plus two years, during which time the offender shall be barred from participating in any oyster harvesting activity on Calcasieu Lake.

(c) For a third offense, the offender shall forfeit any permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and shall be permanently barred from obtaining a permit to harvest oysters on Calcasieu Lake and from participating in any oyster harvesting activity on Calcasieu Lake.

(2) Any person who participates in oyster harvesting on Calcasieu Lake while barred shall be penalized under the provisions of a Class 7-B violation.
Thanks Jude,

Glad you're back to fishing and stuff, last time we talked you were busted to pieces with the neck and such.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Was wondering if that was you. Gave up fly fishing but back to regular fishing some.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk