SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,358
Default sacalait help?

I have only fished for sacs with shiners, and not very often. any tips on artificial baits. Probably going to the henderson area this weekend, and don't have a clue what to get out of the hundreds of baits that seem to be available for them.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Try orange, blue, chartruse, red just see what they like best
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 703

U hit the nail on the head. Any of those colors with a chartreuse tail and u should be fine.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?z4eyq5
Eatin ain't cheatin
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Redfish

Cash: 765

my favorite sacalait bait by far is the road runner i use black and chartreuse and i always tear them up with this bait gotta fish them slow for them to work but they are a awesome bait. I get them at walmart were i live in eunice i am sire they sell them at any walmart and academy good luck
Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I just got back from there, had a good trip about 25. When people tell you they are tearing them up and you see all the boats there, you can bet that for every one person tearing them up there are at least 10 that ain't doing anything. And one thing I have noticed with coonazzes and the basin is that if you heard a report you are already a week behind I tried to stay away from the people and fished the edges of the water hyacinth around islands about 3 feet deep with a jig that looked like a grass shrimp. If you buy any jigs make sure to get blue/white and black/chartreuse that is good almost always. I sometimes tip my jigs with Berkely Crappie Nibbles, but not always. They are really finicky fish, so with this cold front I honestly would not even go tomorrow, but if you just HAVE to you will have to fish a lot slower and shiners might be your best bet actually. They will probably get tight to cover with this front so you may wanna drop a shiner up in that hyacinth.

BUT, in general like someone said a roadrunner or beetle spin is always a good bet to fish with especially if they are just sorta out in the open. I think the reports are that the fish are on the edges of the dropoffs so a roadrunner would be good to just throw out let sink and real in slow on the ledges. I notice that most people down here fish with a cork and just pop the jig, I like to use a jigpole if possible but the cork method sure works.

Caught some giant bream, and I will be back next weekend with some grass shrimp and crickets.

I would not get discouraged if you don't catch any tomorrow or Sunday it looks like horrible conditions, but you can't catch them at the house
Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 825

I have caught over 200 sacalait from Monday to Thursday Mostly 3/4 pound fish every where from the south flats to the north flats. To the pits
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Redfish

Cash: 703

Guys, Ranger Go Getter is a friend of mine, the same friend that put me on all the sacalait you have seen in my picks. Please give him a big Salty Cajun welcome and when he talks about Henderson I would listen. I did and have picks to prove it lol.

Eatin ain't cheatin
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,050

try using light green / chartreuse jig - that we used it and caught our limit out yesterday despite windy condition
Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

All the above information is great........but

don't see where anyone said what size jig head to use.

For bream or sacalait use light tackle..... and 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig heads. Ultra-light tackle [4 lb test line] works great.

When using the tube type baits, the bream will often grab the end of the skirt and the bait starts to pull off the jig head. To keep the tub type baits secure to the head of the jig..... put a drop of super glue on the lead head and then push the tub up to the jig head and hold it for a few seconds.

Some days fishing with just a jig head with tube skirt works good. Other days using a small beatle spinner is better. There is also many "solid" body type baits [about 1" to 1.5" long] that often work well. I like the yellow w/ black strip or Black w/ yellow strip.

You can buy packs of just the small "spinner" rigs and then attach your own jig head. I mostly used the silver color spinner rigs. I would keep several jig heads of each color skirt glued on to jig heads....so I would have them ready to use while out on the water.