SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Need advice.

Hi Guys!!

Need some advice or recommendations. I've NEVER BEEN a bow hunter.

But the last several years. I've been seeing alot about the cross bow.

I'm thinking about getting one to hunt deer with and just LEARN!

I saw a article on gear in outdoor life and they mentioned one called Wicked Ridge Invader, it got good marks, was a really all-around one.

I'm looking for one that Is light, balanced (NOT so front heavy) nice price.

Please it you hasve a start up cross -bow let me know the specific's

Thanks in advance!

Biggun
Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I disagree, crossbows are very accurate to an extent and the hunter does not have to move much which may get the deer jumpy. Some of that is true, however, the practice thing goes across the board. You can not expect to shoot em past 50 yards. how many people actually go to a rifle range and 'practice' rather than just lean over the hood of a truck and shoot a beercan the day before the season? In actuality, bowhunters in the aggregate retrieve ONE out of every FOUR deer they shoot at! Chew on that for a minute, that includes misses and wounded game. I do agree with you on the crossbows are for sissies concept though! I know you didn't say that, but I like to say it!

To answer your question, I have no idea, but my uncle and his buds have gotten into it and they both got Barnetts or something they have not missed or wounded any of the 4 deer they have combined on the last 2 years. Do it, its a fun sport
Old 10-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,332

Been shooting a Horton 175 for 5 years. The combo was $700ish. Shoots accurate. Not the cheapest nor most expensive.

I would suggest going to the BSBA or Bayou Bucks site and ask the question there. Just be prepared because some people don't like crossbows. I have neck issues is why I shoot one.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I know some of y'all weren't around but the same stuff was said about compound bows By the traditional archers when the state legalized them for deer hunting.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 789

If you don't have a physical handicap try a bow first, it'll be more rewarding when you kill your first with it, imho.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

First off welcome to the WONDERFULL(and I do mean WONDERFULL) world of hunting. A crossbow is legal so by all means if you want one than get one. Barnett and ten point are two top models. The most important part of hunting, especially with a bow/crossvow is practice practice practice. You need to learn what your weapon can and cannot do. You need to realize that a crossbow is not a rifle and you should not shoot it past 40 or 50 yards. You owe the animal the utmost respect and be sure that when you shoot and game that you can be sure to harvest it in the quickest and most humane way possible. Go the an archery store and shoot as many crossbows as they have. Find one that fits you than practice. If you are looking to purchase one now rhan I wouldn't take it into the woods until at least January or even next season. Most important rule in hunting is to respect other hunters and the animal you are looking to harvest. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it October Yet View Post
First off welcome to the WONDERFULL(and I do mean WONDERFULL) world of hunting. A crossbow is legal so by all means if you want one than get one. Barnett and ten point are two top models. The most important part of hunting, especially with a bow/crossvow is practice practice practice. You need to learn what your weapon can and cannot do. You need to realize that a crossbow is not a rifle and you should not shoot it past 40 or 50 yards. You owe the animal the utmost respect and be sure that when you shoot and game that you can be sure to harvest it in the quickest and most humane way possible. Go the an archery store and shoot as many crossbows as they have. Find one that fits you than practice. If you are looking to purchase one now rhan I wouldn't take it into the woods until at least January or even next season. Most important rule in hunting is to respect other hunters and the animal you are looking to harvest. Good luck!
well stated