SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 507
Default Best Blue Crab Spots

I am driving in from San Antonio tomorrow and was looking for a good place to catch some blue crab. I've heard RWR...Pecan Island...Holly Beach...to name a few. The closer to the Texas/Louisiana border the better for my drive, but I don't mind going further into the state. Just don't want to drive all that way for nothing. Anybody have some good spots? I heard at Holly Beach you don't need a license...is this true? And also...for a place like Holly Beach, can I go as early as I want? Do I have to wait for a certain time? Any tips would be helpful...just going for fun...but would love to find the best spot so we don't drive all that way and not catch anything.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Exit in sulphur on hwy 27 go down about 5 miles and stop at cajun fastmart and pick up crab bait and supplies. then go to hog island gulley which is about 20 or so miles south of cajun fastmart.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Sand Trout

Do I need a fishing license at this spot? What's the earliest I can get out there?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

technically yes a fishing license and i think 30 min prior to sunrise not positive someone else might can answer for sure. Odds of getting checked for fishing license while crabbing i would say is very slim but possible.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

According to http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/SWLAcomplex_Fish.pdf;
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Crabbing
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
No license is required to recreationally
crab with a crab net and/or hand line. See
refuge specific regulations for crabbing
opportunities.

Now if you plan on fishing at any time it will require a non-resident Saltwater license which they offer as a one day license. I think when you purchase the one day Saltwater license for $17.50 you are not required to purchase the one day Basic for $5 like you do when purchasing Non Resident Saltwater and Basic licenses for the entire season. You can purchase these at Cajun Fast Mart, and don't forget the breakfast sandwiches while you are there. Here is what is says in regards to hours.
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
Hours:
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Boat admittance into the refuge
is permitted from one hour before legal
sunrise until one hour after legal sunset;
however, recreational fishing, crabbing,
and cast netting activities are prohibited

until legal sunrise and after legal sunset.
Don't forget that there is no castnetting from the docks while in the Sabine NWR which is where Hog Island Gully is located. Also there is a 5 dozen limit on crabs per vehicle. Exit 20 is the I-10 exit for HWY 27. Oh and pay attention to the no parking signs while crabbing. Last but not least enjoy Sportsman's Paradise.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I've been checked by Green Jeans twice crabbing (no fishing pole in the boat) and both time they asked for my fishing licence.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Sand Trout

Couple of questions...first off, I thought the limit was 12 dozen per person. There are going to be three of us...I doubt we will catch THAT much, but we might catch over 60. Also...A couple people on Facebook told me they were catching at Holly Beach. From what I see online, this is not on refuge or anything...so do I even need a license for this? We will be fishing from the shore...not bringing a boat and don't have traps and nets and what not. Is the Hog Island spot good for fishing off the shore?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Redfish

Cash: 767

If you have over 60 crabs in your possession in the reserve (Hog Island Gulley, etc.) and you get checked, your azz is grass.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Swordfish

The limit on the Point Aux Chene Reserve is 12 dozen per boat.

If you on a public beach there is no limit. Just go to Holley beach and fish them off a palon. get 2 poles about 8-10' long, string a piece of rope between the 2 of them and of that rope tie some string every 10-15 or so with piece of leg quarter on the end. Pull it in slow andand scoop the crabs off with a net. This time of year is killer for crabs on the beach in Grand Isle, I'm not familiar with Holley Beach but it's prbably close to the same.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

yea theres plenty of them on the beach in holly.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Sand Trout

So two final questions...I think we are going to go to Holly Beach just because it's about as close as possible for us. So my questions...do I need a fishing license? I'm finding varying answers online. From what I can tell, I only need a license if I am on a refuge...otherwise I don't need anything. But then I read that I need a one-day $17.50 license no matter where I go...so I don't really know. And finally...can I go as early as I want at Holly Beach, or do I have to wait until sunrise?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Sand Trout

By the way...THANK YOU all for the information so far...
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Redfish

Cash: 724

if on holly beach can crab 24 hours a day no time slot. crabbing times is just for refuge
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRuder View Post
So two final questions...I think we are going to go to Holly Beach just because it's about as close as possible for us. So my questions...do I need a fishing license? I'm finding varying answers online. From what I can tell, I only need a license if I am on a refuge...otherwise I don't need anything. But then I read that I need a one-day $17.50 license no matter where I go...so I don't really know. And finally...can I go as early as I want at Holly Beach, or do I have to wait until sunrise?
You don't need a license if you only use hand lines and a net. I'm pretty sure this goes for the reserves too but you might want to double check.

How do you y'all crab in the surf at Holly Beach?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRuder View Post
We will be fishing from the shore
If you are fishing you will need a fishing license.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

• There is no minimum recreational size limit for blue crabs. The limit is 12 dozen per person, daily and in possession.
• There is no minimum recreational size limit for stone crabs or stone crab claws. Certain WMAs and state and federal refuges may have different possession limits. Consult a local LDWF or Enforcement Office for specifics (see WMA and Refuge Regulations on page 49).
• Any person using crab nets or crab lines for the purpose of taking crabs for recre- ational purposes shall not be required to purchase or possess a basic recreational fishing license or be required to purchase a gear license. However, persons using crab nets or crab lines on LDWF WMAs or refuges must possess a basic and saltwater recreational fishing license or a Wild Louisiana Stamp.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post

How do you y'all crab in the surf at Holly Beach?

See swamp snorkelers post about beach crabbing
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
The limit on the Point Aux Chene Reserve is 12 dozen per boat.

If you on a public beach there is no limit. Just go to Holley beach and fish them off a palon. get 2 poles about 8-10' long, string a piece of rope between the 2 of them and of that rope tie some string every 10-15 or so with piece of leg quarter on the end. Pull it in slow andand scoop the crabs off with a net. This time of year is killer for crabs on the beach in Grand Isle, I'm not familiar with Holley Beach but it's prbably close to the same.
So you are basically making a trot line for crabs. How deep. Do the bait lines sit on the bottom.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Swordfish

Put the poles 100' to 150' apart.

String a main line between the two of them'

Off the main tie a 10-12' string with a piece of leg quarter on it you may want to attach an old nut to help weigh it down.

Walk the main line, when you get to one of your bait lines pull it in slow, have the net in the water and scoop the crabs.

I may make a trip to grand isle in a few weeks to get some. When the giving good you can load the truck and there is no limit that I know of. I dont keep more than my family can eat so once I fill an ice chest I stop.

One thing not mentioned is female crab with the eggs showing...... throw them back you can NOT posses them.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
So you are basically making a trot line for crabs. How deep. Do the bait lines sit on the bottom.
Yes.