SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486
Default when to go north (Prien, 210 bridge, etc)

Planning on fishing Prien area saturday to start learning that part of the area. Is there anything in particular you look for (time of year, tides, weather, etc) that would make any of you go there vs. the lake? Very new to that area.

Probably launch out of Calc point, which I've never been to. I'll call and see if they have bait as insurance since my cast net skills are "beginner" at best.

Anything I should know (shallow areas to avoid, etc) before heading north?

Many thanks.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

If you want to fish in Prien, around the 210 bridge, then you can launch in lake Charles. There's a nice launch at Prien Lake Park but they don't sell bait there. But since gas is cheap it wouldn't be a bad idea to just lauch out of Calc Pt like you mentioned and run north. There's a lot of places to fish between there and Prien lake. If you are planning on using live bait, get a lot because the ladyfish have been thick. I don't use live bait really - just artificial but those ladyfish have been tearing my plastic up lately so im sure they will be all over natural bait. As far as tides, its best to fish when its moving because it moves the bait. When its raining a lot that area is not as good because the salt line gets pushed to the south. The Calcasieu river dumps directly into Lake Charles. This wont be an issue since we haven't really been getting steady rains. As far as shallow areas, just stay in the middle of the channel when you are running fast and when slowly approach the bank. Most of the time you can be 50 feet from the bank in be in 10 feet of water but you never know so just proceed slowly.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Thank you. Fishing drop offs of channel has worked for me some but finding a good spot to do so vs any other has been trial and error. Moving water is what I look for but aside from that and some points/mouths, just trying it all stick and move is my plan