SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379
Default Tide difference

I have a question about the time difference between tide observation stations. From what I've read there is about a 6-7 hour difference (predicted) between the Bulk Terminal and the Calcasieu Pass Lighthouse Wharf. If low tide down south is at 2:56 AM and low tide up north is at 9:12 AM would low tide for Hackberry area (Black Lake west of Spicers) be a 3 hour delay from Calcasieu Pass and 3 hours ahead of Bulk Terminal? Also for the fisherman that are out on the lake daily, what time frame/delay have you observed for the east side of Big Lake?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

I think that your estimations are about as accurate as they can be. Problem is, conditions have such an effect on when the tide change will reach a certain area, I've almost given up on trying to predict it. Partially why it's a tremendous advantage to be on the lake for consecutive days. My second day on the lake, in a row, is usually much more productive than the first. Obvious, I know. Would like to have some of the more experienced guys chime in.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Wind speed and direction of the wind is a major factor in tidal water movement along the Calcasieu river.

Another factor is how much the water level changes. If the movement is less than a foot, it take longer to see any change up north.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

It also has a lot to do with how much water is coming down the river. But wind pretty much trumps everything out there. If you get a low pressure system that brings a bunch of water inland everything will be out of whack until a front comes through and blows it out. Turners is crazy as well. Sometimes the water flows north on a falling tide towards the ship channel, sometimes it blows in from the ship channel. It took me forever to figure that out but it has to do with the height of the river I am pretty sure. I would say the average time differance on the on the Southeast Side of the lake from the tide prediction at the jetties is about 2 hours. 3 by the time it turns at Connie and 4 by th time you will se it at the Blue camp. It moves faster when approaching the north end of the lake because it narrows. Thats why a hard rising blows through turners like it does. The predictions for Weeks bay is usually close to turners. I really don't have enough experience on the West end of the lake to comment. Just keep in mind any external forces that may be at play and make and educated guess at the effect that they will have on the prediction. Thats what I do. 3 out of 10 times it will do something unexpected and cost me some gas. When in search of moving water move closer to the ship channel, if you can't find any head south.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
Originally Posted by paublo25 View Post
I have a question about the time difference between tide observation stations. From what I've read there is about a 6-7 hour difference (predicted) between the Bulk Terminal and the Calcasieu Pass Lighthouse Wharf. If low tide down south is at 2:56 AM and low tide up north is at 9:12 AM would low tide for Hackberry area (Black Lake west of Spicers) be a 3 hour delay from Calcasieu Pass and 3 hours ahead of Bulk Terminal? Also for the fisherman that are out on the lake daily, what time frame/delay have you observed for the east side of Big Lake?
This statement seems backwards for a low tide. Here's why I think that:
On a low tide situation the water is moving from North to South going out to the gulf, so if a low tide peaks down south at 2:56AM then a low tide up North will have peaked well before 2:56AM.

On a high tide situation the water is moving from South to North coming in from the gulf so a high tide peaking down South at 2:56AM will not peak up North until well after 2:56AM

What the difference is in hours I'm not sure exactly but it is alot from say the Cameron jetties to Prien Lake. And too the wind and river stages will throw off tide predictions also. Figuring tides is really tricky, the best way is to be out on the water several days in a row and see what its actually doing in a certain area. Hopefully some of the guides on here can give you a better answer, their knowledge and experience is far superior to mine
Old 04-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
This statement seems backwards for a low tide. Here's why I think that:
On a low tide situation the water is moving from North to South going out to the gulf, so if a low tide peaks down south at 2:56AM then a low tide up North will have peaked well before 2:56AM.

On a high tide situation the water is moving from South to North coming in from the gulf so a high tide peaking down South at 2:56AM will not peak up North until well after 2:56AM

What the difference is in hours I'm not sure exactly but it is alot from say the Cameron jetties to Prien Lake. And too the wind and river stages will throw off tide predictions also. Figuring tides is really tricky, the best way is to be out on the water several days in a row and see what its actually doing in a certain area. Hopefully some of the guides on here can give you a better answer, their knowledge and experience is far superior to mine

Tides start moving in the gulf first. Then Cameron then turners. Think of it like a bathtub. The water in the back drains last and fills up last
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Tides start moving in the gulf first. Then Cameron then turners. Think of it like a bathtub. The water in the back drains last and fills up last
That's a good analogy, makes sense Thanks!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379

Yeah, I understand all the outside factors that will affect the tidal movements. I fish Choupique quite a bit and that place seems to be based completely on wind factors. A north wind will completely drain that whole area. I was just wondering on an average day what the difference would be between Cameron, Black Lake, and east side of Big Lake. And yeah the water isn't being pushed north to south on a falling tied, it is actually being pulled. The bathtub analogy is a great example.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

When I misjudge the tides (often) and can't find moving water, I head north and fish near the channel. As said above, the narrowing of the system up north seems to ensure at least some sort of water movement when all else fails.
I hit the dropoffs when I'm stumped, thought being that maybe down deeper, the situation may be different than what I can see up top/in shallow water.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Good info.

additionally, it may be different amount of delay on incoming compared to outgoing for the lake. But all you can do is estimate it and just go fishing and adjust. Conditions can change daily with weather conditions and winds.