SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Troop 12 invades Empire

Part I

Boy scout troop 12 from Baton Rouge, La has been coming here once a year to camp out and go fishing several times. They camp in my back yard.

They arrived after 9:00 pm and set up camp. I had the pickup light up the staging grounds.

In the morning after breakfast they headed to Venice for a day of fishing on the Cougar targeting Red Snapper. I took a father and son with me looking for redfish. By the time everybody got ready it was a bit later than I had wished.

I headed down river with the winds steadily building. I have one small pond that I can get on one side or the other and maybe pull out a redfish or 2 out of the weeds. When I got there they had 2 boats on the other side. I went to a spot I left them biting last time. Steve's son picks up the first one right away. It is a just legal redfish so it went back. Steve picks up a good one and that started it.

For the next 2 hours we caught redfish. They would come in a group of 2-4 at a time then nothing for about 20 - 25 minutes. By 11:00 we had our 15 redfish limit but we just sat there and had catch and release fun for another hour. That is when I got out the camera and they were all released.

We may have tossed back 15 - 20 fish. Most of them were good keepers. The winds are building and I knew the ride in was going to be rough. Although in the river the wind against the river flow was going to be rough. Almost getting ready to leave and we get the icing on the cake.

Got back with a well iced down bunch of fish

Nice rack of memories.

Part II

The scouts did well but it was a tough go all day. The seas were rough and the fathers got queasy. One actually had a very bad day. They came in with a limit of red snapper, some big white trout and some bull croaker. Not bad for very rough conditions. Once the fish were cleaned it was time for a treat.

They bought 3 sacks of mud bugs. This is the first one purging. Having a large car port they set up under it and it was game on doing what they do best.

This feast went on late into the night.

They were out of here at 11:00 this morning and you would never know they were here. The yard is cleaner and in better condition than when they arrived. That group of scouts and dads are always welcome here.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 04-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Great story, Cap.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

Great job capt.

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 696

Great story and great job capt wish many more people would help troops out like you have hats off to you !
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigl3456 View Post
Great story and great job capt wish many more people would help troops out like you have hats off to you !
Thanks

There is no reason not to. The first time they came here was in 2007. The place was still a mess from Katrina. In the down time they even helped me clean up a bit more of my property. The kids impressed me Soooooo much I made up my mind they would always be welcome here and they have never given me any reason to change my mind.

When they come in after dark they set up camp and bunk down. Some of the dads sit on my screened in back porch and relax after camp is set up. They get up, have breakfast, and go fishing. In the evening they are all pitching in to set up supper. It is usually late when they all finish the big Saturday feast. The next day they get up, have a very big breakfast, break down camp, police the area, and leave with my place being cleaner than I had it when they arrived.

Could not ask for better. The parents of these children have to be proud of the way they are growing up. I know I am very impressed.