SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Chalky Gel Coat

My boat's gel coat is getting a little chalky. What is the best product to bring it back to life. It's not bad at all, but it probably needs a little more than a regular wash.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

wax.........3-5 times.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
wax.........3-5 times.
X2

Use a good wax such as collinite 925
Depending on how bad your oxidation is getting you can use presta cutting creme and ultra polish.
Some people swear by the star brite marine polish but I don’t care for. Yes it is really easy to use but it does not last.
The most important thing to keep in mind is you must keep wax on the boat if you don’t want it to oxidize.
If you want to read for days do a search on THT for best marine wax.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Red Snapper

Thanks
Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

What kind of boat is it?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 683

Compound it with high gloss gel coat compound then I use rejex instead of wax. It is easier to apply and lasts longer.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 739

Sometimes it takes a good wet sand and buff. I have brought three boats back to a good Zune in the last year like this. Wet sand, buff with wool pad and compound, wax with a good carnuba wax .
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by wed68 View Post
Sometimes it takes a good wet sand and buff. I have brought three boats back to a good Zune in the last year like this. Wet sand, buff with wool pad and compound, wax with a good carnuba wax .
Yep depends on how bad it is. A good wet sand with progressively finer paper can work wonders.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Red Snapper

It's not really bad at all, just a little chalky.

It's a Caracal. Most folks of probably never seen one as they are no longer made. It's a cat hull that is 19 feet. It's a great boat for both light offshore and inside. I have a 115 Suzuki on it.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 566

I had a problem with a boat but it was in the in the fiberglass and nothing helped. I read a thread and a guy mentioned putting vasoline and rubbing it in. It penetrates the fiberglass then you rub off the excess, then wax the boat. It worked like a charm and saved a lot of elbow grease.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Flounder

Cash: 633

wash with soap (dawn professional from sams/walmart/etc.works great and is cheap) then clean with star brite brand non slip deck cleaner (walmart,academy sports,) then dual action polisher with a wool bonnet, ~$40 @ harbor freight unless you want the super high end Flex (very high quality shelf tool) and use 3M marine compound (green writing on label) which can be found at most auto parts stores or walmart. after it is nice and glossy use rejex as stated earlier, it is far superior to any wax. The polisher and compound will make your gelcoat look brand new and rejex or any high quality sealant will make it last. Although I've personally never used it or seen it's results first hand, Ive heard that "Nu Finish", the cheap **** in the orange tin is supposed to be awesome for fiberglass/gelcoat.***forgot to mention, most people that try compound and polish by hand often report that the products did not work and had to either bring to shop or wetsand ($$$$$). They are right, in MOST cases, the compound will NOT work by hand even though the label states hand use is acceptable, this is marketing BS. The majority of compounds and polishes are designed to be used with a machine. That being said, even if you bought top of the line machine and compounds and polishes, you are still spending far less than bring it to a shop. Not knocking shops, just saying that in most cases, most people can fix the majority of oxidation type issues on their oown, but it does take time. The other side of this coin is if you dont want to spend the time to use the machine and compound/polishes/sealants correctly, then bring it to a reputable shop and let a pro do it, this is a very time consuming task.

Last edited by newguy; 09-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Redfish

Cash: 781

Buff with 3m cleaner restorer (found at acadamey) then use a good cununba wax I use mothers comes out good
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Better be careful usin' a buffer. If you don't know what you're doin'...you're liable to burn swirls into the finish. Really looks like crap then.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

If its real light, just get a compound/polish combo and hand work it. It's not hard and will look great

Sent
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Red Snapper

It is pretty light. I bought the 3M rubbing compound yesterday but Salty makes a good point. I have a buffer, but have never used it. I don't want to rub swirls into it. I am thinking I should have just picked up the restorer/polish combo instead of the rubbing compound and hand rubbed it.

Salty, what is the trick to using the buffer?

Where can I find Rejex? Academy didn't have it.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
It is pretty light. I bought the 3M rubbing compound yesterday but Salty makes a good point. I have a buffer, but have never used it. I don't want to rub swirls into it. I am thinking I should have just picked up the restorer/polish combo instead of the rubbing compound and hand rubbed it.

Salty, what is the trick to using the buffer?

Where can I find Rejex? Academy didn't have it.

PM sent.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

http://protecproducts.com/
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Flounder

Cash: 683

Olmstead shipyard has rejex
Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Red Snapper

Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
wash with soap (dawn professional from sams/walmart/etc.works great and is cheap) then clean with star brite brand non slip deck cleaner (walmart,academy sports,) then dual action polisher with a wool bonnet, ~$40 @ harbor freight unless you want the super high end Flex (very high quality shelf tool) and use 3M marine compound (green writing on label) which can be found at most auto parts stores or walmart. after it is nice and glossy use rejex as stated earlier, it is far superior to any wax. The polisher and compound will make your gelcoat look brand new and rejex or any high quality sealant will make it last. Although I've personally never used it or seen it's results first hand, Ive heard that "Nu Finish", the cheap **** in the orange tin is supposed to be awesome for fiberglass/gelcoat.***forgot to mention, most people that try compound and polish by hand often report that the products did not work and had to either bring to shop or wetsand ($$$$$). They are right, in MOST cases, the compound will NOT work by hand even though the label states hand use is acceptable, this is marketing BS. The majority of compounds and polishes are designed to be used with a machine.
Exactly what I do.
Harbor Freight polisher and a big wool pad.
3M Color Restorer and Wax
And a coat of Rejex.

A high speed polisher is a must.