SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713
Default New King of Lacassine

First, please understand that I have no dog in this fight. I was asked by a friend to test this rig and give my opinion, on Friday I did. Monday and Tuesday, I was used as a consultant to test the same outboard on a prototype hull for a manufacturer from Arkansas, that I did also and gave him some changes to make to his hull..Thanks to Gerald and Kyle at Lake Area Marine, I was able to test the new Tohatsu 40hp 4 stroke this past Friday, Monday, and Tuesday. It is a beast. It is a 208 pound, 3 cylinder, EFI, 53 cubic inch, 2.08:1 geared, stump pulling beast. We tested it Friday on an AlWeld 1548, nice boat, performed flawlessly. Has a tremendous hole shot, great top end, strong water pump system, and is nice to look at. Has a nice long tiller, shift in the tiller handle, trim in the tiller, key switch in the tiller, very ergonomic. Makes 25 pounds of water pressure at WOT, was pushing the AlWeld in the low to mid 40's with my big butt in it, on the 6150 rpm rev limiter. We dropped 2 mph adding another man, not bad. We could have put a race prop on the motor and produced big high numbers that are totally useless to the average hunter or fisherman, that was not our goal. The boat handled very well, I like the design with ribs under the floor but not up the sides. Boat is .100 gauge, stout, AlWeld has finally built a nice looking, FAST hull. As for new 40hp Lacassine motors, this is it. Lake Area has a load of these coming in mid-April. Here's a pic of the rig, and a video of the hole shot with a 16 pitch prop.

and a top end run
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

i like that a lot
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
i like that a lot
This is the second 4 stroke I have tested that I would run as my personal motor. It reminds me of the introduction of the Mega's, we would tell our passenger to hold on and then we hit the throttle. If he was not hanging on, he rolled to the back of the boat. This motor is the same way. You rally have to drive one to understand. It planes the boat in less than 15 feet, that's stout.
D
Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

yea it looked like a 2 second plane time on a non race boat lol
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Trophy Trout

Looks like AlWeld has stepped up their game also. That is a nice stout boat. I like the 1552 they build, looks like a floating living room.

D
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 553

Thanks for posting this! That's a nice looking boat! The only thing I don't like is the short transom. I believe I would go with a tall transom and 1552.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Sand Trout

What prop were you running......painted black yamaha prop?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Trophy Trout

Yes, we ran a 16 pitch black painted Yamaha on an empty boat. I think the 15 pitch would be ideal on a boat loaded for fishing or hunting
Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I can't see the Videos (work filter) but it looks the motor is set back a little. Does it have a jack plate?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

I saw these new hulls sometime last year and immediately wanted to swap mine out for one...the hull alone would save alot of weight on my rig and give some extra room....that boat looks fun!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I can't see the Videos (work filter) but it looks the motor is set back a little. Does it have a jack plate?
Yes, we had the standard 6" setback to enable us to raise and lower the engine height.
As for the short transom, yes it is. I too like the 20" transom, but, I tested what was available. I can say we never had any backwash come over the transom when stopping, that seemed unusual. on an empty boat.
D
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Danny, did u put a hook in the hull? If so how much was needed and how far in front of the transom did you put it? I need a hook on my 18' tunnel. Trim tabs lug it down pretty bad.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Danny, did u put a hook in the hull? If so how much was needed and how far in front of the transom did you put it? I need a hook on my 18' tunnel. Trim tabs lug it down pretty bad.
This one had trim tabs. Didn't seem to lug the boat down at all. It took very little down adjustment on the tabs with an empty boat.
D
Old 04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Sand Trout

Danny, you have any idea what this hull weighs?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Thanks for the report.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salyfz View Post
Danny, you have any idea what this hull weighs?
I do not. Lake Area would have that info. My best guess would be low 400's.
D
Old 04-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

That's pretty neat that it performs that well and has a fairly light weight. Looks like a winner.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott craft View Post
That's pretty neat that it performs that well and has a fairly light weight. Looks like a winner.
First, I have nothing to gain or lose talking about this motor, the truth is the truth. Those of you that know me, know I would not sell my salvation for an outboard motor. I was asked by a friend I highly respect to test this unit and give an opinion, I did.
Oh yea, it is definitely THE new motor to run Lacassine or any marsh with. I have not been this impressed with a 4 stroke in quite a while, but this is a different animal. I really like the 25 pounds of water pressure, that was lacking on the 2 stroke line of tohatsu's. Their water system was sub par. Not so with this motor. 25 pounds of water pressure gives you enough pressure to pump mud and keep going. It also has a high temp shutdown, almost idiot proof. The gear case is nice and streamlined to run through the vegetation, really a well thought out unit.
These come with factory trim. And for those of you that never fished Lacassine with a motor that does not kick up, it is easier than you think. I have been doing that for over 10 years now. You have enough power to stop, put it in reverse to blow the vegetation off the lower unit, hit forward and get on plane in 10' distance. Power, used correctly, is a wonderful thing. You might want to run a line and install a water pressure gauge where you can see it while you run through the marsh. You really don't have time to keep looking back at the indicator to see if it's squirting. A 0-30 pound water pressure gauge is a lifesaver, or just extend the line from the indicator to just in front of where you sit, so you can watch it while running. You really don't want to spend much time looking back at 40 mph.
Another advantage is the EFI. no more carbs to clean or plug up. I have run an EFI 4 stroke motor for over 10 years and never had a single problem with the fuel system. We tested this motor for 3 hours Monday afternoon, doing hole shots and top end runs. We burned almost a gallon of gas and ZERO oil! These things start like your truck, pump the fuel bulb turn the key and go, no choke, no high idle, just click and go. If you have any performance or specification questions about the boat or motor, give me a call. I do not hide from anyone, my number is 337-499-6801. I also do not sell or profit from either, so I can't give you any prices or ordering info, that's not my area of expertise. I am simply a test dummy
I am awaiting a call with the weights of both the 1548 and the 1552 AlWelds, I will post the numbers as soon as I get them..
Danny
Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

wonder how that animal would run on my 16x42 Southfork Tunnel...was thinking Gator Tail and starting over with a new boat but may have a change of heart now
Old 04-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Everyone knows how good the old Merc water pump systems were in the marsh. Any idea what kind of pressure those were pumping? To me those were successful more because of the amount of flow, not pressure. You can increase the amount of pressure by restricting the amount of flow somewhere. With that being said, when you restrict the flow you may lose the ability to pump some solids (mud, vegetation, etc.). Just a thought.