SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486
Default Weeks Bay/Rollover area report

Friday afternoon (2-6pm) made a quick trip in the little boat to Rollover Bayou area and got skunked (dead shrimp).
Hit the first weir , both sides, then the last weir to the south before the mouth. Tide predictions said falling tide, but it was almost not moving at all. Hard to believe there were zero reds with all the bait around. Went all the way to the mouth of the bayou just to see since I'd never been. Water was pretty dirty and too rough for my little boat to get out there to Flat Lake. Chalked it up as a learning experience.

Saturday morning (7-9am) hit the SW banks of Weeks Bay, below Pelican Point, then the islands around that point and caught nothing in that area (dead shrimp, gulp swimming mullets). Water was clean (visibility to about a foot deep), but it was very fresh and had a lot of algae flakey looking stuff floating in it. Banks were exposed and NW wind made it difficult, but still hard to understand why we got skunked there.

Later (930-12noon), went back into Shark Bayou and down a bayou to the SE, pretty far back in there. Stopped and fished several little pockets off the small bayou (redfish magic gold/black & chart., sparkle beetles, gulp swimming mullets, nada on dead shrimp), very shallow so we stayed at the mouths. Saw several reds as we spooked em when we slid up there. Lots of finger mullet jumping and saw some bigger reds chasing them. Managed to catch one small red on a chart. gulp swimming mullet, and had one hit a fly but lost him.

My report may be an example of what not to do, but just looking for some feedback on if I am doing the right things (tactics/timing/areas), and hopefully sharing some info that someone else could use!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red weeks.jpg (35.2 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg gulf mouth.jpg (46.9 KB, 241 views)