SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Casey, check your PM's.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

Anyone that has donated on this thread or would like to donate, that donation will be part of the May event for the center in Josh's sons name per the original post and PDF. The redfish event that Ray has put together will have a side pot/event as W described with the money going directly to Josh's family.

Items donated to Salty Cajun will be part of our big summer event which will also go to the center on behalf of Josh's family.

The redfish event will not have raffles/drawings like we have for the summer event.

Donating these items for the big event in May through the center will be better for Josh and his family from a fundraising perspective because there will be more bidders and people at this event to bid on the items.

Due to the great support we always get with the site, we could have more items up for donation than people at the event if we auctioned it off at the redfish event.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Anyone that has donated on this thread or would like to donate, that donation will be part of the May event for the center in Josh's sons name per the original post and PDF. The redfish event that Ray has put together will have a side pot/event as W described with the money going directly to Josh's family.

Items donated to Salty Cajun will be part of our big summer event which will also go to the center on behalf of Josh's family.

The redfish event will not have raffles/drawings like we have for the summer event.

Donating these items for the big event in May through the center will be better for Josh and his family from a fundraising perspective because there will be more bidders and people at this event to bid on the items.

Due to the great support we always get with the site, we could have more items up for donation than people at the event if we auctioned it off at the redfish event.
This is correct. It started off as a cash event for the adult and went from there. Duce Rods wanted to donate, so we said those would be for kids since they were fishing for free. We still have some prizes for the kids from some non SC sponsors, since we put that out in the flyer already.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
This is correct. It started off as a cash event for the adult and went from there. Duce Rods wanted to donate, so we said those would be for kids since they were fishing for free. We still have some prizes for the kids from some non SC sponsors, since we put that out in the flyer already.
You guys are doing a great job with the event, I hope we have an outstanding turnout. W's idea of a side pot for the benefit was great. Also if Micah or whomever was serious about cooking, we can probably raise some additional money for the cause. Folks have to eat.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
You guys are doing a great job with the event, I hope we have an outstanding turnout. W's idea of a side pot for the benefit was great. Also if Micah or whomever was serious about cooking, we can probably raise some additional money for the cause. Folks have to eat.
i dont know if im gonna make it to the tourney but id be down to chip in some $ for food if yall do go the cooking route or boil swimpz or something
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
i dont know if im gonna make it to the tourney but id be down to chip in some $ for food if yall do go the cooking route or boil swimpz or something
same here with me...let me know who I can send a donation to help with food or any thing else.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincecum View Post
Thanks for all the support guys. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around this whole situation. I know my family deeply appreciates everything this site does and stands for. This will just add a new group of great folks that will get the chance to see how great the southern sportsman can be. This center is a great place and does amazing things for these kids.

Josh..

You and your family are in my prayers.

Just FYI!!!

The Actor Jim Carrie's Ex-girl friend, Jennie McCarthy. Her son was diagnosed with same thing.

She has done ALOT OF HER OWN STUDIES. She's actually written a book on that subject.. She's a spokesman for the national autism foundation.

YOU may have read or know of her book . She was on "Oprah" MANY TIMES, DISCUSSING this very TOPIC. Here son is doing great, recovering, and getting better.

THERE IS HOPE!!!! If you haven't heard of here book. YOu may want to get it and read it.

God bless.

Biggun
Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,426

Josh, you don't know me but I havea 19 yr old son with Down Syndrome so I do know all of the feelings and concerns you and your wife are going through. It can be overwhelming, I know because I have lived with it for almost 20 yrs now. Whether you know it or not, you and your wife were chosen because of who you are. I firmly believe that and some day you will understand that. For now I am an ear for you whenever you need it. Also remember that you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Deal with today not tomorrow. It won't be easy, nobody said life would be. Eli will be fine and so will you. Love him and remember being different isn't always a bad thing. The good Lord never puts more bricks in the wagon than the mule can pull. Your family is in my prayers and I know that Eli will be fine. God's speed.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Josh..

Just FYI!!!

The Actor Jim Carrie's Ex-girl friend, Jennie McCarthy. Her son was diagnosed with same thing.

She has done ALOT OF HER OWN STUDIES. She's actually written a book on that subject.. She's a spokesman for the national autism foundation.

YOU may have read or know of her book . She was on "Oprah" MANY TIMES, DISCUSSING this very TOPIC. Here son is doing great, recovering, and getting better.

THERE IS HOPE!!!! If you haven't heard of here book. YOu may want to get it and read it.

God bless.

Biggun
my wife loved that book. I think she read the entire thing in a day and a half. One of those things you just dont want to put down. Thanks for the heads up and prayers.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavocat View Post
Josh, you don't know me but I havea 19 yr old son with Down Syndrome so I do know all of the feelings and concerns you and your wife are going through. It can be overwhelming, I know because I have lived with it for almost 20 yrs now. Whether you know it or not, you and your wife were chosen because of who you are. I firmly believe that and some day you will understand that. For now I am an ear for you whenever you need it. Also remember that you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Deal with today not tomorrow. It won't be easy, nobody said life would be. Eli will be fine and so will you. Love him and remember being different isn't always a bad thing. The good Lord never puts more bricks in the wagon than the mule can pull. Your family is in my prayers and I know that Eli will be fine. God's speed.

Thank you sir. Different never means bad, it just means different. Your wisdom and experience will be very helpful. God bless you and your family.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavocat View Post
I completely agree...my 8 year old Ben was born with
Cri-Du-Chat syndrome...
Old 01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,234

Ray if you do not have a reel yet for that combo let me know I spoke to a sponser of the site and they will donate one.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Josh, anything you need, holla.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:56 AM
King Mackeral

Guys, this fundraiser is almost upon us. If there are any of you or your businesses that would like to do something for the auction please let me know so I can get you the necessary paperwork. This event is a lot of fun and usually draws a big crowd, it would be great to have a big SC presence there as well. Myself and my family would like to thank all of you again for the prayers. I have seen many improvements in my son over the last few months and know that most of them wouldnt have happened without this center and your prayers.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 660

I don't know what they do at the intervention center but I only know of one thing that has proven to reverse autism when there is no brain damage involved. It's called ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis). My son was diagnosed with autism at 3. We worked with a Dr. from California for a year and half. She came in once a month ($3,000 per month) and trained some college kids as therapists which I paid $7-$10 per hour to work with him 6 hrs a day and 4 on Saturday. Many of you may be saying wow that's expensive and yes you're right but compare the costs of an institution or special care for the rest of their life. It took me a long time to pay her off buy my son is 9 now and functions just like any other and attends Westminster Christian Academy in Opelousas with his brother and if any of you know about WCA it's no joke. DEFINITELY worth looking in to. I here now that insurance will cover ABA and there are many clinics around now. Maybe that's what they're doing in Lake Charles but 10 hours a month??? We did 30 hours a week. It's VERY hard but worth every penny to have your child function with others.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailreg View Post
I don't know what they do at the intervention center but I only know of one thing that has proven to reverse autism when there is no brain damage involved. It's called ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis). My son was diagnosed with autism at 3. We worked with a Dr. from California for a year and half. She came in once a month ($3,000 per month) and trained some college kids as therapists which I paid $7-$10 per hour to work with him 6 hrs a day and 4 on Saturday. Many of you may be saying wow that's expensive and yes you're right but compare the costs of an institution or special care for the rest of their life. It took me a long time to pay her off buy my son is 9 now and functions just like any other and attends Westminster Christian Academy in Opelousas with his brother and if any of you know about WCA it's no joke. DEFINITELY worth looking in to. I here now that insurance will cover ABA and there are many clinics around now. Maybe that's what they're doing in Lake Charles but 10 hours a month??? We did 30 hours a week. It's VERY hard but worth every penny to have your child function with others.
the center is where he is getting his ABA therapy, 10 hours a week. Yes it is very costly and some insurances do pay for it. At first my insurance said they would, then they got the first bill and that was the end of that. We are in tough battle with the insurance company and have a lot of different parties involved. The therapy is very expensive but worth every penny and if it improves his way of life then I'll do whatever it takes to get it to him.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I'll prolly do the same thing as last year, donate a handful of inflatable PFD for the auction