SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 461

My first post. If you can afford it go with a 4x4. You may not use it often but when you need it you'll justify the money. It's no fun being on a slick boat ramp and spinning one tire and going backwards. I once spent an hour trying to pull out a 15ft aluminum boat w/ a 4 banger 2WD S-10...the ramp was covered in hydrilla. I'm not brand loyal and really think that GM, Ford and Ram are all putting out good products. I just sold a 4x4 ecboost crew and I'm now driving a 2014 Sierra Z71 crew. The Sierra is a better driving and riding truck but the ecoboost had the edge on power and performance. Ecoboost was tuned and had serious power. I had zero problems with my F150 but I was getting nervous about having to replace turbos or a transmission so I traded her in. I test drove a '14 Ram w/ hemi 8speed auto and it was a nice truck. Whever you buy get ready for sticker shock and don't take the first deal they offer you. I've had better luck working out deals over the phone and email. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Let's break this down from the original Post:

I pull a 19ft midsize heavy gauge alum boat to most of the common improved landings. My 2wd 4runner never has spin problems, fairly heavy tongue weights helps. Pic of boat attached, now has brand new alum trailer with long tongue. Points to 2WD Truck

Also have kayaks, many trips to BigLake during summers. Getting tired of cartopping yaks at my age. Points to 2WD Truck (either is fine but 2WD is cheaper)

Also have midsize ATV, many trips to lease in west Alabama. Occasional trailering is getting old too, more chance for breakdowns, etc. Rather haul in truck. 600mi interstate round trip, many times during season. I can hunt the large lease, keep atv in truck to use when needed, usually leave it at camp during season anyway. 600 Miles Roundtrip Points to 2WD Truck for Gas Mileage

Seeing less and less need for 4wd with all this stuff. Not interested or need to take truck offroad anymore, break stuff, etc. I mostly hunt/fish alone too. Points to 2WD Truck

I could get interested in a nice 4dr 2014 GM 5.3L truck, about $26k or so, they are running specials now. I love the road quietness and roomy comfort of these new trucks. Points to 2WD Truck (The ride is a bit better whether you 4WD guys want to admit it or not)

So all that being said, any comments/regrets/etc? 2wd spinouts/traction problems at landings is what I'm most concerned about. Pls save the "I just wanna look good" 4wd comments, I'm wayyy past that and looking forward to saving money for retirement... LOL We're talking 100% practical here. Points to 2WD Truck because it's cheaper

Also take into consideration that a 2WD truck is not only cheaper at the dealership but it is cheaper at the gas pump and cheaper at the insurance agency.

Sounds like you answered your own question and you are trying to let these guys talk you into a 4WD... haha... Get what makes you happy
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 461

Duckweed is slick as snot on a boat ramp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4876556110_4e3518d2b6_z.jpg (144.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

reggoh
Also take into consideration that a 2WD truck is not only cheaper at the dealership but it is cheaper at the gas pump and cheaper at the insurance agency.

Sounds like you answered your own question and you are trying to let these guys talk you into a 4WD... haha... Get what makes you happy

i had an extended cab 2010 5.3 chevy 2wd locking rear end 4 speed auto...
i now have 4 door 2013 texas edition 4x4 locking rear end 6 speed auto...
rides the same if not a tad smoother with the extra weight....gas milage may be 1 mpg better on highway...insurance believe it or not ,"i didn't till i got the check in the mail" was $64.00 a year cheaper....i agree with "get what makes you happy"...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Yeah I read the OP again and he's already using a 2WD to pull and launch his boat. I guess he could ask himself how many times he's needed a 4x4 so far and go from there.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
i had an extended cab 2010 5.3 chevy 2wd locking rear end 4 speed auto...
i now have 4 door 2013 texas edition 4x4 locking rear end 6 speed auto...
rides the same if not a tad smoother with the extra weight....gas milage may be 1 mpg better on highway...insurance believe it or not ,"i didn't till i got the check in the mail" was $64.00 a year cheaper....i agree with "get what makes you happy"...
My line of thought was to compare a 2014 4WD to a 2014 2WD of the same model and engine size...

The 2WD should get better gas mileage because of weight and be a little cheaper on insurance because of car value.

In my opinion the regular street tires that are standard on a 2WD ride a little smoother and make less noise than the standard all terrain type tires that come on the 4WD models.

Both are great trucks and I don't think either is "right" or "wrong"... I was just pointing out that from the facts that were given a 2WD suits the needs of the original poster. He should get whatever he can afford and whatever makes him happy.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

there is always the "where you launch at" thing to consider to determine the best towing vehicle to use and many opinions here are based on the conditions we experience the most so everyone thinks they are recommending what is best.

im sure there are launches where conditions may make the 4wd a better choice but at the same time im sure there are alternate launches nearby that don't have those traction issues.

the way I see it the 2wd with towing package (gears and positrack locking rear end) is always best overall towing vehicle for any but the most extreme situations while I am acknowledging there are always exceptions to any statement like that.

also a simple bag of kitty litter works at the boat launch in slimy situations so that's all you need for traction on scum or a duckweed covered launch in a pinch
Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 879

I'll put my 2 cents in on this. I am on my 2nd F150 with the Eco Boost motor. My first was a 2011 FX2 with the 3:55 rear end which rode great got an average of 19mpg on both highway and in town and towing. I now have a 2013 FX4 with the 3:73 rea end which rides just as good as my previous 2wd but averages 16mpg in the same situations. I like having the option of 4wd if it is needed but to be honest I also bought it because I like the look better of a truck that sits higher and I can afford it so why not. I do know that Ford offers a locking differential on some of there 2wd trucks because I test drove another FX2 with that option. As far as getting a V6, I would never get either a V6 or small V8 again. Before I had my fords I had a Chevy with the small V8 and it got horrible mileage and I had to get the trans rebuilt at 65,000 miles. The smaller engines just don't hold up well in bigger vehicles especially when using the truck to tow. I hope this helps
Old 03-26-2014, 03:40 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 879

Oh, and I have never had a moments trouble out of either one of my F150's with the Ecoboost motors.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 AM
Flounder

Cash: 526

Thought I'd pass this on. I seen a banner on the Sportsman..Courtesy Chevrolet in New Iberia is giving $10,500 off all in stock 2014 crew cabs. 2WD and 4WD
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Flounder

Cash: 694

Just for kicks last night I drove the new 2014 V6 GMC 2wd extended cab for about an hour. Took it around town and on interstate. Just as the reviews suggested, the gas pedal response was so bad, I'd be slitting my wrists after a few weeks. This is more pronounced since I've been in 4runners that are quick off the line and have plenty of punch. Figured I'd start with the low end motor and go up from there. Done with that idea! LOL.

Both current and prior 4R V6's can pull my boat in the orig post in OD with no problem whatsoever.

From there I went to Hampton Toyota, but of course they didn't have a small V8 Tundra in stock.

I'll try something out every few days as time allows. Plan to get in them all for sure.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

My Eco is the 3.31 with rear lock differential, 4x4, 2013 which is a little over 6 months old with 14K miles. Avg fuel mileage is 16.2. I am very happy with the power (towing) & pick-up.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand View Post
Just for kicks last night I drove the new 2014 V6 GMC 2wd extended cab for about an hour. Took it around town and on interstate. Just as the reviews suggested, the gas pedal response was so bad, I'd be slitting my wrists after a few weeks. This is more pronounced since I've been in 4runners that are quick off the line and have plenty of punch. Figured I'd start with the low end motor and go up from there. Done with that idea! LOL.

Both current and prior 4R V6's can pull my boat in the orig post in OD with no problem whatsoever.

From there I went to Hampton Toyota, but of course they didn't have a small V8 Tundra in stock.

I'll try something out every few days as time allows. Plan to get in them all for sure.
If you want a Toyota with extra power in lieu of the 4 runner check out the Sequoia. Got one for my wife first of the year with the 5.7 v8. That thing has some power and a lot of room inside
Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Flounder

Cash: 575

Took me just one time getting stuck in a 2wd. Now have a 4wd with rear locking diff
Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Flounder

Cash: 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbullet View Post
Took me just one time getting stuck in a 2wd. Now have a 4wd with rear locking diff

Tried that on my wife one time way back, and she said "Lack of judgement on your part does not necessitate a new truck on our part"

she was right (at the time)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Redfish

Cash: 725

If you launch anywhere with water hyacinths get a 4x4 you will be thanking when you make it up the ramp while others can't without a chain or tow strap hooked to them!