SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

I'll retire when my dead a$$ falls out the seat.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

65 them do something else either part time or start business

Markets have been real good last few years though.ay have to start being very conservative soon with the elections coming soon
Old 08-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

With a retirement from the FD I'm looking at 25years I'll be 46 and can do what I want after work wise. Still undecided on doing 25 or 30. But it will depend on where I am and where the department is by then. I will also decide on the drop when the time comes but can't see passing it up. Maxed out at 33years I will only be 54 so I can be pretty much set and still young enough to pursue other avenues. But this is still a LONG ways out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Retired at 58 and never looked back (so far) after 11 years. If I had to give you "young'uns" some advice, it would be to load up your 401(k)'s/IRA's and never check the balances until you're within a few years of retiring. A simple rule of thumb that worked for me is your age minus 100 in stocks/equities and the rest in fixed, i.e. bonds, cd's, bond funds, etc.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 816

I'm 26 and been putting 6% in my 401k since I was 21. BUT LITERALLY HAVE NO CLUE about retirement !

Old 08-16-2015, 10:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
So how much do you think a family of 2 needs to have stashed away to live at their current standard of living?

I'm thinking a minimum of $2 million should give about $4,500/month to live off of, which is not much when you look at car insurance, healthcare, food costs, etc.

Don't want to know anyone's personal info, just what you think is needed for a husband and wife who say make 60k each per year which is pretty avg these days.
It all depends on when you plan to die....that's what makes the decision to retire so difficult. Having some type of alternative income to supplement your 401k is the key. A few rental properties would be nice to have set up once you retire.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

I am looking at investing in Vacation Rentals now, at 32. Tennessee is looking promising as a cheap start and we vacation there every year anyway. I know one day I will pick up something in the panhandle, and something in a fishing town in Louisiana. Rather "invest" the money than give it to the government. Paying cash for properties makes them income earners right away. Probably will keep the majority in TN and NC along the border. Great weather, great clientele, lots of CHEAP property management help.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 669
Default At what age do you plan to retire or

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
I am looking at investing in Vacation Rentals now, at 32. Tennessee is looking promising as a cheap start and we vacation there every year anyway. I know one day I will pick up something in the panhandle, and something in a fishing town in Louisiana. Rather "invest" the money than give it to the government. Paying cash for properties makes them income earners right away. Probably will keep the majority in TN and NC along the border. Great weather, great clientele, lots of CHEAP property management help.

I would never own rental property out of town. It would become a nightmare. But I really think Vacation rentals is where it's at for long term return. You just have to be close by to take care of all the issues.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
15 more years to go and I'm done

Will have more than enough clients established guiding so I will not have to touch my retirement

But I could also die before that time so ... Live each day to the fullest
I think you meant to say YOLO..
Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

I would like to retire one day but the rate my wife spends money, I will be in the hole until death...
Old 08-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Retire from this desk jockey gig? Idk, maybe tomm, maybe in 30 years. Whenever I decide I've had enough or they've had enough, I guess. Then I'll go travel the country and guide hunts/fishes and train mutts. Health Insurance is the biggest deciding factor for many, Obamacare here we come!!!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

as soon as I win the lottery, so that needs to happen.. Sooner the better
Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I think you meant to say YOLO..
I had to google YOLO
Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
I would never own rental property out of town. It would become a nightmare. But I really think Vacation rentals is where it's at for long term return. You just have to be close by to take care of all the issues.

Nah, property management companies are available in every good vacation rental market. If you pay for it cash then you really don't have to worry about them taking there cut. I want to spend more time in TN (June, July, August). The area I am looking at is great because it has motorcycle/car enthusiast interest spring/summer/fall and during the winter they have plenty of places to ski.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Flounder

Cash: 518

going to work till i die
Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I loved the last job I had and planned on working till I had to retire...Well 3 or 4 years ago I left work with what I thought was a kidney stone and wound up with a full blown disc and back operation the doc. ,,, I'll use that as a reference,,, said I'd return to work in 6 weeks....Well it didn't work out that way and I guess this is the hand the GOOD LORD dealt me with my piece of shoulder I got left so at 54 I was retired....As luck would have it everything I owned , house ,truck,wifes auto , boat all payed off so I can do ok....My advice to the young for what its worth,,,401K is playing the stock market....If company matches your payment put it in conservetive stock...even though the stock doesn't pay much you get 100% by company match and don't lose...Also start an annuity...I was lucky I got in one that garantee's 3.5% and will rise to 7.5%....There is also prepaid life insurance which they do not like because its a 1 time commission. The most important thing to remember is to save for when the GOOD LORD feels its time to cut you down....
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by BessFishHound View Post
going to work till i die
Nice to know you have something to look forward to. I say do that if you absolutely have to. Or as some others have said, unless your really love what you do.
BTW, probably the best topic I've seen on here in a long time.

Last edited by swampman46; 08-17-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by BessFishHound View Post
going to work till i die
This is kind of what I'm figuring. I'm pretty sure this desk job will kill me before I'm 40. If I happen to make it past that, I hope to retire by 60. Unfortunately when my kids were born, they both racked up some pretty hefty medical bills. I'm still young and have a good bit of time left, but I feel im a little behind the 8 ball on my goal.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

Don't know, I really haven't given it any thought. I guess when I get tired of working.