SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 694
Default Seeking truck advice 2 or 4wd

I never thought I would be asking, but here we go! LOL

Mid-50s, a few trucks, mostly 4wd 4runners and such. Thinking about getting a new extended or crew cab full size truck for the first time in 30yrs. My last 2004 4runner 4x4 did a major brake master cyl meltdown in August last year, so I dumped it with over 200k miles. I quickly bought a mint low mileage 2wd 2007 4runner to replace it.

I pull a 19ft midsize heavy gauge alum boat to most of the common improved landings. My 2wd 4runner never has spin problems, fairly heavy tongue weights helps. Pic of boat attached, now has brand new alum trailer with long tongue.

Also have kayaks, many trips to BigLake during summers. Getting tired of cartopping yaks at my age.

Also have midsize ATV, many trips to lease in west Alabama. Occasional trailering is getting old too, more chance for breakdowns, etc. Rather haul in truck. 600mi interstate round trip, many times during season. I can hunt the large lease, keep atv in truck to use when needed, usually leave it at camp during season anyway.

Seeing less and less need for 4wd with all this stuff. Not interested or need to take truck offroad anymore, break stuff, etc. I mostly hunt/fish alone too.

I could get interested in a nice 4dr 2014 GM 5.3L truck, about $26k or so, they are running specials now. I love the road quietness and roomy comfort of these new trucks.

So all that being said, any comments/regrets/etc? 2wd spinouts/traction problems at landings is what I'm most concerned about. Pls save the "I just wanna look good" 4wd comments, I'm wayyy past that and looking forward to saving money for retirement... LOL We're talking 100% practical here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1724.jpg (96.5 KB, 358 views)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Sounds like the 2wd with some good all terrain tires should do the job most of the time or you could just spend the extra 2-3K and get a 4wd.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I personally won't have a 2wd because I hunt and fish, if it is used once or twice a yr on a slick lease road or pulling a boat up a slick launch then it's more than worth the extra money.... kind of one of those rather have than not have deals for me plus it's easier to resale later... just my .02
Old 03-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I take my truck (2WD) in the cow pasture 2-3 times a month and haven't got stuck..... yet. Get some nice aftermarket tires with a little more agressive grip and go for it.

If you have 4WD you go through the mud hole.
If you have 2WD you go around it.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

If you're a predictable outdoorsman and use good roads and launches and choose not to venture into risky or new areas to hunt and fish, than you can go with 2wd.

But being that you hunt/fish alone for the most part 4wd can help you in many times of need. Nothing like being stuck in that 4" of slick mud at the boat launch that you didnt expect .I use mine a few times a month or so launching boats at new launches that I'm uncertain of, driving thru pastures/fields while training dogs, and navigating the slick roads of the deer camp after winter rains. With 4wd and highway tires you can go many places that 2wd and all terrains cant go. To me, it's a very valuable tool to have even if you use it only a few times a year. Good example of, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Locking rear differential is all you will need from what you have said. If a rear wheel starts to spin (like on a boat ramp), the locker engages automatically and locks both back wheel together.

Open differentials are what most vehicles have, even 4x4. With open diffs, if one wheel loses traction (spins) then most of your power gets lost to that wheel. You get stuck. Locking diffs lock the wheels on the axle together, so if one wheel on that axle is spinning but the other has traction, you will continue moving forward.

You do have to be careful when cornering and applying throttle with an auto locker. If your outside wheel starts to spin the axle will lock and your rear end will slide sideways. Most people over 18 will not have a problem with it though, because you have to drive like an idiot to do it. There are thousands of lockers on the road and Chevy/GMC wouldn't offer it as a factory option if it wasn't safe. It looks cheaper than I thought too, $350?

http://ask.cars.com/2009/06/silverad...ferential.html

Good explanation here:

http://youtu.be/q-rQTHMVAuw
Old 03-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Flounder

Good replies, keep em coming.

A lifetime of putting two girls through 12yrs private school, then 4yrs college, then 2.5 yrs grad school (almost done) will change your perception of stuff as you get older. Adding luxuries at this stage of life means I gotta work a few more years, I'm fighting that at every turn.

Nick you bring up a very good point... alone. That won't change for awhile, no grandkids in sight yet, and I still tend to run hard, still very independent.

I'm very confident but careful in this 2wd 4runner. Having 400k miles between the last two 4wd 4runners is a lot of realistic experience that is unknown in the trucks. I guess the only thing I keep coming back to is boat landings.

Bmac, I'm with you, auto locking should be plenty. Don't see any other serious downsides.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

I know A LOT of people with 24' bay boats that all drive 2WD full size trucks. I don't think any of them have problems at boat launches. Sounds like a 2WD will fit your needs.

Couple of people have pointed out that it's better to have it and not need it... I've driven a full sized truck for the past 12 years and there are a few times that I wished I had 4WD but those few times are so few and far between that it is not worth the extra $$$ to me.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand View Post
Good replies, keep em coming.

A lifetime of putting two girls through 12yrs private school, then 4yrs college, then 2.5 yrs grad school (almost done) will change your perception of stuff as you get older. Adding luxuries at this stage of life means I gotta work a few more years, I'm fighting that at every turn.

Nick you bring up a very good point... alone. That won't change for awhile, no grandkids in sight yet, and I still tend to run hard, still very independent.

I'm very confident but careful in this 2wd 4runner. Having 400k miles between the last two 4wd 4runners is a lot of realistic experience that is unknown in the trucks. I guess the only thing I keep coming back to is boat landings.

Bmac, I'm with you, auto locking should be plenty. Don't see any other serious downsides.

Locking rears and an earlier retirement seem like the way to go!!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
I know A LOT of people with 24' bay boats that all drive 2WD full size trucks. I don't think any of them have problems at boat launches. Sounds like a 2WD will fit your needs.

Couple of people have pointed out that it's better to have it and not need it... I've driven a full sized truck for the past 12 years and there are a few times that I wished I had 4WD but those few times are so few and far between that it is not worth the extra $$$ to me.

It's not so much the size of the boat it's the condition of the launch. I could pull and launch the boat in the original post with a corolla on a nice launch. Thats why I was saying if he's predictable about the launches he uses.

In my case, last weekend I launched a 20' cabin boat at a private launch in the basin and if I wasn't in 4wd the boat woulda prolly launched the truck. (but those cases are on occasion and not common for most)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

i got a 2013 chevy 4x4 5.3 , crew cab. the crew cab has a 5 1/2 ft. bed ,,,ext. cab 6 or 6 1/2 bed i forget... i think all 5.3 pretty much comes with locking diff. . mostly i'm in mud sand mix and with the goodyear eagles street tires that came with it you know when the diff. locks...now have goodyear wrangler silent armor at's and seldom use 4wd. unless in ruts. you can set a rear wheel in a hole and walk out without dirtying the fender unless you nail it . i launch at some launches so steep i cant undo the winch till i back down and if its slick when i pull the boat out i've seen the tire spin less than a turn and the other kicked in and just walk right on up.....only reason i got the 4x4 was cause i got a good deal on it but i love it.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1604648_651967598195523_368136444_n.jpg (61.2 KB, 283 views)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 1,005

I always had 2wd trucks all my life and a couple times i have gotten stuck on slippery launches so this time i bought a 4wd and i have to say in just a year it has gotten me out of a slippery launch 3 times so yes money well spent on a 4wd truck!

plus you can always have fun like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (19.7 KB, 273 views)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 614

It would be a hard call. There's a lot of different reason to go either 2 or 4wd. Last truck I got I got in 4wd cause I pull a camper out on the beach. Last time I used the 4wd was 3 weeks ago in the mountains cause there was snow. Other than that it's in 2wd. I guess it's more of a piece of mind knowing it's there if I need it even tho it cost more to have it
Old 03-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I have a 2WD Ford Supercrew and love it. My last truck was 4WD. I got much worse mileage and the ride was rougher. Unless you plan on needing 4WD I personally don't see the need for an everyday truck with 4WD.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Locking rear differential is all you will need from what you have said. If a rear wheel starts to spin (like on a boat ramp), the locker engages automatically and locks both back wheel together.

Open differentials are what most vehicles have, even 4x4. With open diffs, if one wheel loses traction (spins) then most of your power gets lost to that wheel. You get stuck. Locking diffs lock the wheels on the axle together, so if one wheel on that axle is spinning but the other has traction, you will continue moving forward.

You do have to be careful when cornering and applying throttle with an auto locker. If your outside wheel starts to spin the axle will lock and your rear end will slide sideways. Most people over 18 will not have a problem with it though, because you have to drive like an idiot to do it. There are thousands of lockers on the road and Chevy/GMC wouldn't offer it as a factory option if it wasn't safe. It looks cheaper than I thought too, $350?

http://ask.cars.com/2009/06/silverad...ferential.html

Good explanation here:

http://youtu.be/q-rQTHMVAuw

Makes since, but what if both wheels are on rollers? Like at a boat launch covered in slime, rear wheels are usually in the slime, fronts are high and dry...

How many times are you in the mud with only one side of your truck? If you need a locker on 2wd, chances are both wheels are on "rollers"

My 2 cents.

Get 4wd and never say "wish I woulda gotten 4wd", chances are it will be a very crappy day. Like after a hurricane trying to get to some supplies or someone, or in a snow/ice storm that we've never seen in our life time....
Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 1,005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Makes since, but what if both wheels are on rollers? Like at a boat launch covered in slime, rear wheels are usually in the slime, fronts are high and dry...

How many times are you in the mud with only one side of your truck? If you need a locker on 2wd, chances are both wheels are on "rollers"

My 2 cents.

Get 4wd and never say "wish I woulda gotten 4wd", chances are it will be a very crappy day. Like after a hurricane trying to get to some supplies or someone, or in a snow/ice storm that we've never seen in our life time....

Exactly my opinion also,
you may not use it but if you have it and need it just ONE time in a situation it was worth the little bit in cost now personally i don't see a difference in fuel economy in my 4wd vs my buddies 2wd same truck except his is a 2012 and mine is an 09 but that may just be the dodges because hemi's do not get great gas milage reguardless but i have the power when i need it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I say go with the 4wd. The extra 2/3k won't put you in the poorhouse and you don't have to worry about wet grass, slippery ramps, ice, slippery roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Flounder

Ok we're on a roll now...

I looked at the extended cab Sierra w four normal doors. Bed is 6.5ft so can close the tailgate w Grizzly atv.

Here's the next question ...

I'm liking the V6 and 24mpg hwy.
Towing will be light, heck my 4.0 V6 4runner pulls this boat as fast as I want, in OD too. No issues whatsoever.

Any particular reason pro/con V6? This is the new V6 for 2014.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

I would get the 4x4. You will get most of the extra money back when you sell or trade it in. I'm sure you will get at least half of your investment in the 4x4 back, maybe all of it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Flounder

Dang y'all killing me :-)). Lol