SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence
Old 07-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence
Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Believe or don't believe. Say you're going to heaven or say you don't know. We will all find out if we are right or wrong. By then it's too late. Do what is right by you and others and hope for the best. Be honest and do no harm unless the balance needs to be reset then do what must be done to replace order.
Right on Duckman!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
Just because it is a church does not (to me) mean that false prophets will not enter and try to sway people.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Sailfish

What upsets me about organized religion is that in our city of Alexandria which isn't big they are several multi million dollar churches. I kknow that some do support homeless shelters, battered women shelters and things like the food bank. That is great. My issue is when the church owns 4/6 city blocks and several multi million dollar buildings while the pastor, his wife and the deacons drive a caddy and the food bank is spending what $ they have to advertise and ask for donations you have lost the point.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

Quote:
What upsets me about organized religion is that in our city of Alexandria which isn't big they are several multi million dollar churches. I kknow that some do support homeless shelters, battered women shelters and things like the food bank. That is great. My issue is when the church owns 4/6 city blocks and several multi million dollar buildings while the pastor, his wife and the deacons drive a caddy and the food bank is spending what $ they have to advertise and ask for donations you have lost the point.
Not questioning your logic or your point, and I don't know the proper answer to my question either, so I'm just asking..... How much should a pastor be able to make? I know there are some that work endlessly, not just Sunday morning sermons. Some of these guys have Doctorate degrees and it takes a lot of talent (on loan from God), a high work ethic, and high morale integrity to manage and grow a large Church. And many of these give back a minimum of 10% tithe and most of them much more is given back to not only their own church but they give a lot of money to missions and other good causes. There are exceptions I know but for arguments sake, lets say we have the pastor I just described and he's above reproach...how much should he be able to make? I know the S. Baptist members decide how much they are willing and able to pay. The pastor has no control over his pay. I've even seen churches cut the pay of pastors because of hard times (layoffs, and such), and they never complain. You seem like a fine man 1911, so again, not questioning you personally...just curious.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Quote:
I live in NE ARK and our church is a full city block. Denomination is Methodist. Pastor and wife are clients at my vet clinic and I don't charge them much if anything. They are both very humble and appreciative of everything we do for them. Our church does a ton of charity work in our town. Then you have the for profit TV preachers ( Joel Olsen , Benny Hinn , etc) that I loathe!! Don't see anywhere in the bible where prosperity preachers are talked about. Have enjoyed this thread very much. Tell my boys to watch how ppl treat waiters and you see what kinda person they are. God fuels me everyday and hope it stays that way
Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
Not questioning your logic or your point, and I don't know the proper answer to my question either, so I'm just asking..... How much should a pastor be able to make? I know there are some that work endlessly, not just Sunday morning sermons. Some of these guys have Doctorate degrees and it takes a lot of talent (on loan from God), a high work ethic, and high morale integrity to manage and grow a large Church. And many of these give back a minimum of 10% tithe and most of them much more is given back to not only their own church but they give a lot of money to missions and other good causes. There are exceptions I know but for arguments sake, lets say we have the pastor I just described and he's above reproach...how much should he be able to make? I know the S. Baptist members decide how much they are willing and able to pay. The pastor has no control over his pay. I've even seen churches cut the pay of pastors because of hard times (layoffs, and such), and they never complain. You seem like a fine man 1911, so again, not questioning you personally...just curious.
Question me or not it does not matter. You have a very valid point. I have personaly known pastors who have been woke in the middle of the night and asked to come to a hospital and they did. To a family in need they are priceless at that point. Yes he needs to make a good living to support his family. I don't doubt that anymore than an oilfield guy making money to support his family. When a chutch owns city blocks I do start to wonder I
If it has become a $ machine
Old 07-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
I live in NE ARK and our church is a full city block. Denomination is Methodist. Pastor and wife are clients at my vet clinic and I don't charge them much if anything. They are both very humble and appreciative of everything we do for them. Our church does a ton of charity work in our town. Then you have the for profit TV preachers ( Joel Olsen , Benny Hinn , etc) that I loathe!! Don't see anywhere in the bible where prosperity preachers are talked about. Have enjoyed this thread very much. Tell my boys to watch how ppl treat waiters and you see what kinda person they are. God fuels me everyday and hope it stays that way
I get what you're saying. I think a church should build. It should do that after it has done it's work as a church.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

Quote:
Question me or not it does not matter. You have a very valid point. I have personaly known pastors who have been woke in the middle of the night and asked to come to a hospital and they did. To a family in need they are priceless at that point. Yes he needs to make a good living to support his family. I don't doubt that anymore than an oilfield guy making money to support his family. When a chutch owns city blocks I do start to wonder I
If it has become a $ machine
I get what you're sayin. But the church is supposed to grow, and I hate to think it, but it is getting harder and harder to get people to come to church so churches are deciding to spend the money on upgrading the buildings, sound systems, and all the things that may attract families. I don't understand it all, but we're losing people to the world year in year out. Many on here think that is great, but when you know what God has done for you and loved ones, and you want the world to know the same love of Christ that is available to them, it hurts to see people become bored of church and walk away. So we have to attract them. But you're on the right track 1911, it can never, ever be about the money, or even the entertainment value...if it is, it don't matter how big the church building becomes, you'll just have a big social club, doing nothing to build the Kingdom of God. God Bless you sir!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
I get what you're sayin. But the church is supposed to grow, and I hate to think it, but it is getting harder and harder to get people to come to church so churches are deciding to spend the money on upgrading the buildings, sound systems, and all the things that may attract families. I don't understand it all, but we're losing people to the world year in year out. Many on here think that is great, but when you know what God has done for you and loved ones, and you want the world to know the same love of Christ that is available to them, it hurts to see people become bored of church and walk away. So we have to attract them. But you're on the right track 1911, it can never, ever be about the money, or even the entertainment value...if it is, it don't matter how big the church building becomes, you'll just have a big social club, doing nothing to build the Kingdom of God. God Bless you sir!
When I was a kid my parents went to a small church. Pentacost. Every Sunday after curch we ate. Everyone brought something if they could. Us kids plyed while the grown ups fellowshipped. Good times Denination matters not.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck-killer View Post
I wish Salty Cajun would ban this BS on this site. This is a fishing site. Keep your opinions of your religion to yourself or go to another site for your trivial babble
Why don't you show a little respect dude. Don't click on this thread if you don't want to read it