SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 12-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074
Default Marsh Island holding a few trout

My Big Lake fishing partner came over last night for a crawfish boil and to watch the fight. He started talking smack about the bay or as he calls it the Toilet Bowl and I bet him a Duce rod I could put him on some reds and maybe even a few trout. After he checked the weather report, he took me up on my challenge. I guess should have checked the weather report as well but the wages had already been laid. I figured it wouldn't be a productive day but at least I would get the satisfaction of seeing the bow spray pelt him in his big mouth as I plowed through the small craft advisory. I had been on a few fish and figured they would still be biting as this front pass through. The low pressure raised the water level what I am guessing is about 2ft and when that happens I head to Marsh Island. Getting there proved to be a task but we made it. The falling tide was delayed about an hour so I started as far back in my favorite bayou as I could get and stared beating banks. The water wasn't great but it was a little salty and had about 6" of vis. He hooked a our only redfish of the day on a Baby-1 that was hanging from my windshield container but other than that I was having trouble finding them. At about 10 the tide really started moving so I moved to the mouth of another bayou that has a few small reef heads surrounded by deeper channels and found a school of trout feeding around one of them. But the bite was slow. Caught a couple dinks on small glow/chart swim baits working them with the current which was pretty strong and I figured I was blowing it past them. I moved around so I could work the bait slower into the oncoming current. About that time my super hero fishing partner, who brings about 3 academy isles worth of lures everywhere, ties on a broke back corky and wham lands a solid 2 lber. Then proceeded to catch 4 more until I swallowed my pride and asked him if he had one for me. He chucked and pulled out a zip lock with 5 of them and said he had just bought them from some guy named Steve who sells them out the back of his truck. He was going to wait until Christmas but he guessed he could give them to me a little early. We ended up with about 30 and then the bite slacked. Good day with a good friend. Texas roach type color did the damage. I didn't call in the bet on the duce. The broke backs were good enough. Water temp was 72, I wonder what its gonna settle at once this big front passes though.

P.S. I would have fished my normal spot but Gunner fished it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marsh Island 1.jpg (59.6 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg Marsh Island 2.jpg (52.5 KB, 767 views)
Old 12-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Nice!!! With the conditons

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

And the award for fisherman of the year goes to............
Old 12-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post

Gunner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

NICE job,
Was out there on Sat, put 8 in the boat, did not see another boat land a fish. Had to head in early, son had a soccer match in Layfayette. We also boated a big Gar, learned how to clean it and now in freezer, now on th hunt for a good Gar recipe.
I was able to find a few fish, but it seemed the bite would not get going, also stumbled on a spot that always holds bait, it finally produced some trout, I think if the wind was not so bad and I could have slowed the drift the spot may have done the job. I stayed with my poppin cork trick did not stray from that, should start trying other methods too.
I hope to get out there this week, as I am off and hope to fish as much as possible.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
I'll second DAT! Under those conditions Sunday, that there is a fabulous catch. Way to go Marque.

I have to add that his posts and reports are first class. He always gives conditions, what baits and a general area he is fishing. If you know VB you know where he is fishing to some degree....very unselfish on his part. Hats off to ya Marque and thanks!

Last edited by Reefman; 12-14-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Great meat haul as always Marque....
Old 12-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Yigodiver

Cut about 12-15' long roast... Stuff said Garfish roast just like a pork roast.. Garlic, onions, bell pepper etc. Season heavily...

In big black iron pot, heat a fair amount of your favorite cooking oil. Enough to coat the entire bottom of pot..

When oil is nice and hot, place roast in pot , and then let brown real good. Turn garfish roast until is been browned all around. Reduce heat add some seafood stock with your veggies, (lots of onions, bell peppers, chopped garlic).. Then place heavy lid on pot.. Cook for severeal hrs..

Roast will get tender.. Add green onion tops or parsely... Just like a beef or pork roast.. Serve over Rice.. Awesome gravy and roast.. Serve with tater salad....

Damn.. Awesome...
Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Biggun, I thought that that recipe was going to end with discarding the contents and eating the pot! LOL

I did eat my share of fried gar/garfish balls as a young un'.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 587

Were you on bay or gulf side of island?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

RArdion

:
Old 12-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps View Post
Were you on bay or gulf side of island?

I was inside.

The wind 25 gusting to 35 out of the south. After I cross the bay I realized I was probably in need of a psychological evaluation. After I got to the island and into the Lee shore it was relatively flat. The falling tide helped with that as well. After we got back in the truck my partner changed my name in his phone to Lieutenant Dan. Sent me thisImageUploadedByTapatalk1450382519.593908.jpg

The brave die young. And so do the stupid.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Tripletail

And thanks guys for all the compliments. It's been a rough year, fishings got me through it. I don't mind sharing a little info because The bay is a mean blood sucking *****. You'll give up without a little help.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
NICE job,
. We also boated a big Gar, learned how to clean it and now in freezer, now on th hunt for a good Gar recipe.
It might be good or bad. If you froze it in water you might as well throw it away. Treat it like tuna and don't freeze in water. It soaks in the water and looses quality and texture.

If you vacuum sealed you will be okay, but gar is best fresh. And it is unbelievable. The black people have it right stalking em with cane poles and Scaling and Riggin mullet all kind of crazy ways in the hot sun all day. Once you eat it done correctly you will understand.

When you clean it try to rub the meat off with a dry napkin or rag. This keeps the meat in good shape. Roast is good, Fried garfish in fresh olive oil is exceptional. Cut off a big hunk and put it in a cast iron pan. Gar firms up when cooked unlike other fish which is why you can also barbeque it and not leave big chunks on the grill surface.

Part of the mess with Gar is that they are so hard to clean. I understand that. Great eating fish though.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post

Part of the mess with Gar is that they are so hard to clean. I understand that.
I would take a hand meat saw and cut them up into 4" or so chunks then easily peel the skin(armor) off. If a smallish gar we would fry up the chunks with the bone in. If a larger gar I would fillet the meat off the bone. Easy peazy
Old 12-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
I would take a hand meat saw and cut them up into 4" or so chunks then easily peel the skin(armor) off. If a smallish gar we would fry up the chunks with the bone in. If a larger gar I would fillet the meat off the bone. Easy peazy
Yep. Dewalt Saws-All on the big un's they paring knife separates the skin from the meat. The dorsal fin area is a bit tricky but after a couple of tries, you'll get it. One of my favorites and fun to catch. Smart fish too (as far as fish go).

Good job fishing the Bay on a tough day. That place is brutal on windy days! Vermillion Bay really is a "washing machine" on windy days. Scary at times.