SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124
Default The Cajun Christmas Bonfires

We put together this post complete with 2 rather long videos of the bonfires on the river. If you have the time fill a glass of Christmas cheer and ride with us as we go up the river to Mass then ride the length of the river parish bonfires.http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...ver-levee.html
Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Great video.

I worked at the Texaco refinery back in the '70's and heard all the stories of the families that spent weeks preparing and building the firer. Back then there were few regulation, and the fires were much bigger.

A couple times I road down the river road just before Christmas to see the structures that were built, but never went to see the fires. Always heard it could take 2+ hours just to travel a few miles.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Great video.

I worked at the Texaco refinery back in the '70's and heard all the stories of the families that spent weeks preparing and building the firer. Back then there were few regulation, and the fires were much bigger.

A couple times I road down the river road just before Christmas to see the structures that were built, but never went to see the fires. Always heard it could take 2+ hours just to travel a few miles.

My sister in law lives along the levee in Lutcher, she has first dibs on a spot for a bonfire. I helped my brother in law a few times and that is a lot of work. His dad told me they built some kind of large building about 30 years, after the drove the pilons they went back and picked up all the pieces that the pile driving company cut off and put made a huge fire with them, he said they burned till New Years.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Here's one that I helped build a couple years ago. It was built to scale to model the Welham Plantation that was destroyed by Marathon Oil in 1979 so that they could build on the site. This was built on the levee in front of Poche Plantation.

plantation2.jpg

plantation1.jpg
Old 12-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Some men just want to watch the world burn. But seriously, that's a lot of work.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

I have been to friends houses for the bond fires several times. Always fun. We build a one in the backyard for New Years Eve on a much smaller scale.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

The videos are long so if you cant be there this year sit back put them playing full screen and enjoy the drive. Feel free to sing along we wont mind if ya need to pee there is an emergency jug behind you.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566

my wife of 30 years is from lutcher, go there every christmas eve