SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831
Default Boat Trailer Bearings

Im getting ready to replace my wheel bearings on a tandem axle boat trailer. I have repacked them regularly through the years but they are hitting 12 years old this year so I'm going to replace.

My question is about the buddy bearings that hold the grease in and allow you to install more grease.

I have always chased one Leaking on my trailer over the years due to o ring failure.

Is there anything new and improved on the market or is buddy bearings still the common setup.

All comments and criticism are welcome....
Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Im getting ready to replace my wheel bearings on a tandem axle boat trailer. I have repacked them regularly through the years but they are hitting 12 years old this year so I'm going to replace.

My question is about the buddy bearings that hold the grease in and allow you to install more grease.

I have always chased one Leaking on my trailer over the years due to o ring failure.

Is there anything new and improved on the market or is buddy bearings still the common setup.

All comments and criticism are welcome....
I think you meant to say.... seal failure.

Don't know of anything better. You can pay top dollar at a place like Motion Ind in Westlake or go to Auto Parts store for ~ 1/2 the price for the bearings and seals.

It is real easy to screw up a bearing while trying to put it in. I buy an extra one so I don't have to go back to get another. I have found that using my vice to "Press" the seal in works very well.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

You can also blow the seal out if you try to put too much in with the grease gun. If you have that type.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

When are you going to change them, if I'm off I'll help. I've done them several times.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM
The Camp Cook....

Thanks guys. I was just wondering if there was anything more new and improved than buddy bearings.....

I'm not worried about installation of bearings and race. I'm a Machinist and have changed thousands on various equipment but now that I've said that I will screw it up.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM
The Camp Cook....

I hope to tackle it next Friday....I won't be back home until Thursday evening from a few weeks on the road.

If you are off Paul, I will buy you a Wayne's sandwich and diet coke and we can stop by and harass Jude for a free rod lol....
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

Quote:
I hope to tackle it next Friday....I won't be back home until Thursday evening from a few weeks on the road.

If you are off Paul, I will buy you a Wayne's sandwich and diet coke and we can stop by and harass Jude for a free rod lol....
If you do it in the morning, I'm down with it! I think we'll have to hassle Jude at TB.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was just wondering if there was anything more new and improved than buddy bearings.....

I'm not worried about installation of bearings and race. I'm a Machinist and have changed thousands on various equipment but now that I've said that I will screw it up.

I have the AXIS hubs, which are supposed to grease the wheel bearings from the inside out... I cant say they are much better than the ole' Buddy Bearings as my port side seal leaks grease already... Trailer is less than a year old...

Too bad the oil bath bearings didnt fare well, thought that was going to be the fa-schiz...

Hydro
Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
If you do it in the morning, I'm down with it! I think we'll have to hassle Jude at TB.
Awesome.....we will just go build out own.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
He be correct.

When you coming up????
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
I have the AXIS hubs, which are supposed to grease the wheel bearings from the inside out... I cant say they are much better than the ole' Buddy Bearings as my port side seal leaks grease already... Trailer is less than a year old...

Too bad the oil bath bearings didnt fare well, thought that was going to be the fa-schiz...

Hydro

Yea.....that didn't go over at all....I may look at the AXIS hubs..thanks for the input.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM
King Mackeral

They are called SAF-T-LUBE hubs... Good concept...

Hydro
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
He be correct.

When you coming up????
Would love too.....I just hope I can make it home for a long enough stay to fish. It's usually just wash clothes, repack the suitcase and hit the road.

Kids gotta' eat!!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Mine are grease fittings that load the grease from the back to the front . I just put a few pumps in every 3-5 trips and it pushes any water out . My boat mechanic says these kind are the best kind
Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

Quote:

Hydro
Whats up with the oil bath bearings? I have them on my trailer. I havent had a problem yet.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 AM
King Mackeral

There were problems with the oil baths on axles with brakes... Hub would heat up due to normal brake function, then cool down when dunked in the water... Expansion-contraction created negative pressure and pulled water in the hub past seals...(also, dragging brakes would over temp the hub and push oil out past seals due to expansion)

I really liked them, easy to see if you had lube or not... Asked for them on my current trailer and was told by my dealer that the OEM's shy away from them now due to the water entry issue, even though my current trailer doesnt have brakes...

Hydro
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

Quote:
There were problems with the oil baths on axles with brakes... Hub would heat up due to normal brake function, then cool down when dunked in the water... Expansion-contraction created negative pressure and pulled water in the hub past seals...(also, dragging brakes would over temp the hub and push oil out past seals due to expansion)

I really liked them, easy to see if you had lube or not... Asked for them on my current trailer and was told by my dealer that the OEM's shy away from them now due to the water entry issue, even though my current trailer doesnt have brakes...

Hydro
Yes I dont have brakes either. I have a 16ft on an ez loader trailer. Its an 07 model and hasnt had a problem yet.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

I know the oil bath on my '01 Ranger Trail trailer has a spring piston to compensate for the expansion-contraction. I've never had a problem with water due backing into the water. However, if you don't put the oil fill plug tight enough it can get water in through the plug. One thing that is nice is they don't require an oil change for 50,000 miles.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Redfish

Cash: 851

I have been running oil bath for 14 years now, I had problems with them leaking when they first came out because they were using a regular grease seal, they have updated them & now use a unitized seal, its a 2 peice seal that rides on itself instead of the spindle, no leaks for over 9 years now.