SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 678
Default A Fun Hobby

Hey guys, I know this is a hunting and fishing site but we all have some other interests as well. I thought I'd share mine with y'all and see how many of you also like it as well. What I'm talking about is radio control flying! I have some pictures of my plane as well as an aerial shot taken from it. The plane is a Firebird Phantom from Hobbyzone. It's electric, and I bought the plane, transmitter, charger and battery, all in one box for about $60.00. It even came with AA batteries for the transmitter (radio). Everything included to get started. Now the camera I bought separate, but that was cheap too. $23.00 shipped. It didn't 'snap' the picture, but it took video and I paused and took snapshots during playback on the computer. I'd post the video, but it's too shaky. It was very windy that morning, but cold and clear. I think this was in March last year. I'm waiting on a part for the plane and a new, smaller camera that shoots forward. The one pictured could only side-shoot because of how it's made, but the new one I ordered shoots forward and is a 'spy camera' disguised as a car 'clicker'. It's less than half the weight of the one in the picture so I'll be able to get MUCH higher with it than my old cam. For perspective, That's my truck in the bottom right and I'm standing 'above' it in the picture. I estimate that aerial shot to be from at least 250 - 300 feet up. Without the camera it would go at least twice that high, and that was fighting the wind. Anyway, I'll imbed a sample video of the same plane flying with the same camera I ordered. It's not mine, but it's a cool video. Can't wait to shoot some new footage. Anyway, I'm just wondering how many of y'all have been bitten by the RC bug? It isn't hunting or fishing, but in the spirit of outdoor activities I'm sure some of y'all have gotten the fever as well. Let me know what you think. Later guys! Have a great summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 135.jpg (41.8 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg 002 resized.jpg (73.5 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg Plane's new look 1 resized.jpg (89.7 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by Swamp Critter; 06-24-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i have a RC truggy...... very fun....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

i want a rc chopper bad to terrorize things at the park
Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

That pic makes me wanna go sky diving again.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Thats awesome. Where did u get it from? I have been looking to get one but didnt wanna spend an arm and leg on it! My daughter would love that.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Redfish

Default Plane

It's called the Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom. Came with everything to get started for around $60.00. Unfortunately, you may have a hard time finding it because it's been recently discontinued. If you can find it, it sells for about $85.00. Now, Hobbyzone has a new plane called the Champ. It's about $90.00, comes with everything to get started, and is much lighter than this plane, can fly in a small space, even in a gym. It can also get up as high as my plane is in the picture, or even higher if there's no wind. I'll post a video from youtube. Sweet plane, and designed for beginners like mine is.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Redfish

Default Hobbyzone Champ

Here's Hobbyzone's promo video from Youtube.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,552

That is too cool!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Swamp Critter, how bout you bring that plane over and fly my lease for me? Willing to trade out a jam up duck hunt for aireal photos.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Swordfish

That's awesome. They have a remote control airplane airfield in Maurice. I pass it all the time when Im on my way to Pecan Island. They are always flying those big, high dollar ones though.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Swamp Critter, how bout you bring that plane over and fly my lease for me? Willing to trade out a jam up duck hunt for aireal photos.
x2
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Redfish

Default Firebird Phantom and Keychain Camera

Here's an aerial video of the Firebird Phantom set up with the camera I have ordered. It's not my plane, but it's one like mine. Can't wait until the camera comes in.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Redfish

Quote:
I don't have the camera yet. The picture you see from my plane of the ball park and soccer field is from my old camera (strapped to the plane with rubber bands). It worked, but it was HEAVY for that plane. Had a hard, nose-in crash with it from about 75 feet one day. OUCH! It was over 2 ounces with batteries and memory card. The new cam I ordered is 1/2 ounce with micro sd card and built-in rechargeable battery. Light enough to where I probably won't notice it's there. Let's talk later, once I have a few vids and pics under my belt. Also it depends if there's a suitable place to fly at your lease. I's love to do it but I'm not an expert pilot and need lots of room, like an acre field at least.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Rutt Row, no place to land other than marsh but if you practice maybe you could land it in the boat going down the canal????
Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,552

dramatic chipmunk rocks!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Thats awesome. Where did u get it from? I have been looking to get one but didnt wanna spend an arm and leg on it! My daughter would love that.
To answer your question, I got my plane at Hobby Town in Baton Rouge. I doubt they carry the Phantom anymore, but they probably carry the Champ, because it's new. I'm sure Big Boy Toys and Hobbies and Cajun RC and Paintball in Lafayette have them too. What ever you do, if you get your daughter an rc plane, Please stay away from 2 channel planes. They only have throttle and steering. To climb, you add throttle, and to descend, you let off throttle. I had one years ago, and i did enjoy it. But I crashed it more times than I flew it. If it stalls, HOPEFFULLY it's high enough to pull out of a dive on its own. If you try to pull it out by adding throttle, and you're not high enough, you just smack it into the ground even harder. Trust me, it's worth the few more bucks to learn on a 3 channel, which has throttle, steering, and elevator. Also, find someone who has flown rc planes to show her. It will be worth it. These planes (mine and the Champ) are EASY to learn on. Most of these 3 ch park flyers have some sort of gentle setting for new flyers, and more aggressive for those with experience. She'll love it and probably you will too.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Rutt Row, no place to land other than marsh but if you practice maybe you could land it in the boat going down the canal????
Not yet qualified for carrier landings! LOL!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Redfish

Hey Specktator, I see you're from Lafayette. I'm from New Iberia. If you'd like you and your daughter can come for a demo some day, maybe even a little hands-on stick and rudder time. Right now I fly at the Pepper Plex (in the aerial picture) in New Iberia. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Swordfish

Oh yeh. My daughter only 4y/o. She would be just as excited to watch me fly it! I found the Champ online for $89. Think I might order one. Thanks for the info!