SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763
Arrow A very different boat question

I have owned a couple camps. The first one was built on styrofoam the second on pontoons. Both had pluses and minuses. I sold the last one because it was to small and a PITA to move. My wife didn't like to go there either because it was pretty rustic(no plumbing). My good friend has a Gibson house boat and Brianna enjoys using that. In fact we have talked about buying a nice self propelled houseboat that we could cruise/camp in and I could park at the Delta for hunting season. For the last few months I've been studying up on the pros and cons of houseboats. I'd pretty much decided on buying a Alum hull wide body with either a I/O or a outboard and have been searching the internet for the right deal. No problem right.........

Well while shopping I've been seeing LOTS of older/vintage sport fishers. And now I'm wondering. Would it make sense instead of buying a houseboat for 60 to 80k maybe I could get a 35'+ flybridge instead? I've found a bunch that are way cheaper than any houseboat I've seen and not only could I do the stuff with it like I've planned I could also use it to fish offshore!

Any opinions out there? Why should or shouldn't I do this?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

A 35' sportfish in the delta would be a wonderful sight......I see no problems with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Red Snapper

My concern is about Draft. Many of the boats Draft 2.5 '. But then so do most of the houseboats. I really think it would be cool.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

It all depends on where you want to go. When we had the 42' Post it would draft an average of 3' loaded. keep in mind that the draft is calculated when the boat is not loaded down. when we came in we had to make sure were in the channel. We also had a 24x42 house boat that was built on a aluminum badge it only drafted about 18 inches. I have also thought about the sport fisher but with the draft it is out of the question
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Red Snapper

They are pretty cheap right now with the price of fuel. I found a 35' Viking on EBay that looks Amazing for $13,500. Hell the motor on my bayboat cost more than that! It has twin 454 water cooled crusaders and a onan gen set. 2 state rooms all electronics with only 1200 hours on the engines! I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going to go. The majority of my running will be either in the deep Bayous, rivers and lakes with occasional offshore trips. If I use it at the delta I'll park it at the deep end of the bayou.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Red Snapper

That is not bad at all. I have thought about doing the same thing. Just worried about the draft
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,087

Your best bet in a sport fisher is to stick with diesel inboards single or twin screw, twin screw double the fuel consumption, and also they must come out on the waves periodically for hull maint. on the hull. Gas engines do not hold up as well as the diesel marine engines.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Last post correct, gas will end up with more trouble than diesel. However, you need to keep diesel tanks full or you develope algae growing in tank. How do I know, ask my brother-n-law, but you need to run diesel on regular basis also, especially if it has turbo. And with any inboard boat where engine enclosed, you "have" to make sure your ventilation system works properly also, a must. You can also ask my sis & B n law, they almost bit the dust if someone hadn't walked up on them at wharf. 2minutes more, gone. they were already out and one not breathing.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyI View Post
Last post correct, gas will end up with more trouble than diesel. However, you need to keep diesel tanks full or you develope algae growing in tank. How do I know, ask my brother-n-law, but you need to run diesel on regular basis also, especially if it has turbo. And with any inboard boat where engine enclosed, you "have" to make sure your ventilation system works properly also, a must. You can also ask my sis & B n law, they almost bit the dust if someone hadn't walked up on them at wharf. 2minutes more, gone. they were already out and one not breathing.
If I am not mistaken, keeping the tank full will not stop algae. Either use and additive or run the engine alot to keep "fresh" fuel on board. If you are running a generator off the same tank, should move enough fuel to be ok
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

454 is a proven, solid power plant. Sounds to good fir the price. I'd imagine it would be alot more upkeep than a house boat.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Red Snapper

Several great additives out there to keep the algae from growing. But you will still want to take sample every now and then it is sits up much. After you use it for a while you will know how much diesel you burn per hour with drive and gen set and you could calculate time you plan on spending out plus 10% and just put that much. Our post held around 500 gals and we would rarely take on more than 200 to 250.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I gave that a thought more than once.
It seems it comes down to maintenance.

An outboard is just too easy.
Draft is a concern of course, but the right situation it could work.
I've wanted to do the same but driving down river and anchoring during duck season in Venice.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Red Snapper

Lots of good info here. Thanks for the reply's. First on the Diesel/Gas issue. The 454 Crusaders especially the water cooled version has been around a looonnngg time and is much cheaper to work on/replace than a diesel not to mention the initial purchase price is 8 to 10K more. I know offroad diesel is a bit cheaper than gas but in the long run is it worth the additional expenses of running a diesel? How much fuel would I have to buy to make up the 10K difference in purchase price? I'm not buying this boat to redo. I will shop around until I find something that is in good shape. However, if/when I need to work on it gas is WAY cheaper to work on than diesel.

About Haul outs. Anything you own that is in the water should be hauled out. That was my problem with buying a Steel hull houseboat or even building a steel hull camp. How many times have you seen a steel hulled houseboat listing, sunk or pulled up on land because the hull is bad? People build them and think they don't ever have to pull them out, WRONG. I get an older fiberglass hull sport fisher it would be WAY easier to have hauled and worked on than a house boat or a camp becuse they are made much more durable and designed to be hauled out and maintance done. Every 4 or 5 years have the hull hauled to clean and paint the bottom and inspect annodes, thru hulls wheels, rudder etc. If nothing is needed besides bottom paint I'm thinking I'll spend $500 every time. What ya'll think? That's reasonable.

What other kind of maintance should I require I wonder. I will keep the boat behind my inlaws in the Bayou Teche in Patterson in fresh water. That well help alot with the bottom issues. What other upkeep issues do you guy's think I will have to deal with other than normal maint? I would have the same things to do with a house boat or camp wouldn't I? Any ideas are welcome. Maybe I'm missing something here. It just makes to much sense to me and that can get expensive. LOL
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Red Snapper

Dink I think the reason these boats are going so cheap right now is a combination of things. The cost of a slip up north and in Fl can run between $700 and $1500 per mo. The guy I was talking to about the Viking said he is paying over $5 a gallon for fuel at his Marina. A boat that burns 12 GPH at 5$ per gallon and costs $700 per mo to park! Crazy! With the economy what it is people are almost giving them away. On Yacht trader I've seen over 100 similar boats for sale. It is a buyers market right now. I know it won't be cheap to tansport the boat if I buy from NY or MD but if I can buy the boat right it would be worth the expense.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Also keep in mind the amount of freshwater a sport fisher can hold. You may have to haul water to you boat if you leave tied up for an extended period

Lifelong fan of the Super Bowl 44 Champions New Orleans Saints!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Red Snapper

Here is an example of the type of boat that I'm thinking about. And the value for the money I'm seeing.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

That seems like a hell of a buy really
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Red Snapper

Check these out
second is the post that my grandfather had. I think it is by far the best looking sportfish ever made

http://americanusedboats.com/BoatDetails.aspx?&id=32802

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...rman-101668090