SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Where is it at in Florida? B/c even if it hasn't been in saltwater, corrosion could still be an issue from the air. I have family that used to live in Destin, and I can remember when we were kids all their bikes would be rusted to crap just from the salt air. Probably just would apply to the trailer but I don't know. I'm no expert.
You are right,one of the mechanics where I work went to MMI in florida. He said most boat dealers do not work on anything older then 5 years old because of corrosion.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default Jeff....

Did something very similar to what you're contemplating. Went just on the other side of Tampa and picked up my 24' Pathfinder. All of the concerns mentioned here are warranted....the seller was a used boat dealer and told me that the motor had around 500 hrs. on the 225 Yamaha that was on the boat but didn't have a computer printout for me. Drove strait over one day, spent the night in a motel, and test-drove the boat the next day. It seemed to in good working order and he changed or fixed a couple of minor issues such as burnt tail lights, etc. Drove straight back that day which I wouldn't recommend....will drive you stir crazy! Anyway, started adding and changing things and didn't get to take it out after getting home for a couple of months. First time out I couldn't get it cranked. Needless to say I ended up spending over $3,000 on two different repair shops on the engine alone to get it working properly. Trails Yamaha in Henderson finally got it running like it's supposed to. Also found out that the motor had 900+ hours on it although much of it was at idle or slow speed. I've put $7,000+ into the motor, boat accessories, and trailer combined since I purchased it. There are mobile mechanics that you can hire in most areas to go by and check out an outboard and give you a report. Might be worth checking into before you head out there. Although Pathfinder boats are known to have great resale value, I purchased my 2002 with no accessories(i.e. trolling motor, rear seats, Gps, anchor, etc.) a couple of years ago for several thousand dollars more than what you are looking at for a 2006 Triton. It could be a really good deal because of someone needing money badly in this tough economy, or it could have some serious issues that will end up costing you quite a bit to get it going. Even so it may still be a good deal....just know as much as you can before you go so you can know what to expect. I would also be a bit more wary of a used boat dealer than an individual. Expect to pay state and local taxes on the full purchase price of the boat when you go to register it here.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Man, what a bummer of a thread this turned out to be!! Sad part is...everything everyone is saying is true, but, this could be an exception to the rule. IMO, it's certainly worth a trip east if you want the boat.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderNI View Post
Did something very similar to what you're contemplating. Went just on the other side of Tampa and picked up my 24' Pathfinder. All of the concerns mentioned here are warranted....the seller was a used boat dealer and told me that the motor had around 500 hrs. on the 225 Yamaha that was on the boat but didn't have a computer printout for me. Drove strait over one day, spent the night in a motel, and test-drove the boat the next day. It seemed to in good working order and he changed or fixed a couple of minor issues such as burnt tail lights, etc. Drove straight back that day which I wouldn't recommend....will drive you stir crazy! Anyway, started adding and changing things and didn't get to take it out after getting home for a couple of months. First time out I couldn't get it cranked. Needless to say I ended up spending over $3,000 on two different repair shops on the engine alone to get it working properly. Trails Yamaha in Henderson finally got it running like it's supposed to. Also found out that the motor had 900+ hours on it although much of it was at idle or slow speed. I've put $7,000+ into the motor, boat accessories, and trailer combined since I purchased it. There are mobile mechanics that you can hire in most areas to go by and check out an outboard and give you a report. Might be worth checking into before you head out there. Although Pathfinder boats are known to have great resale value, I purchased my 2002 with no accessories(i.e. trolling motor, rear seats, Gps, anchor, etc.) a couple of years ago for several thousand dollars more than what you are looking at for a 2006 Triton. It could be a really good deal because of someone needing money badly in this tough economy, or it could have some serious issues that will end up costing you quite a bit to get it going. Even so it may still be a good deal....just know as much as you can before you go so you can know what to expect. I would also be a bit more wary of a used boat dealer than an individual. Expect to pay state and local taxes on the full purchase price of the boat when you go to register it here.
Thank you for the info. I am trying to gather as much info as I can and you have just taught me something. Whenever I register it, I still have to pay taxes when its just an individual selling it to me? I thought it would just be the asking price? The guy selling it sounds like a hard working wealthy individual who has just lost the time to use it. It is located in Doral, Florida I think. I have it in an email.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
Thank you for the info. I am trying to gather as much info as I can and you have just taught me something. Whenever I register it, I still have to pay taxes when its just an individual selling it to me? I thought it would just be the asking price? The guy selling it sounds like a hard working wealthy individual who has just lost the time to use it. It is located in Doral, Florida I think. I have it in an email.
When I sold my boat some months ago, I could'a swore the only taxes paid were on the trailer. I could be wrong.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

If the boat your are buying is legally reg. in Florida you just have to pay tax on trailer No other tax on boat or motor, make sure you get some type of bill of sale to complete your
paperwork with LDWF to transfer reg. to Louisiana.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Tripletail

The big question about buying this boat is the Yam 225, Triton boats have high grade s/s hardware with good electrical systems and are 100 percent composite hulls, in other words if the motor checks out you save big money going pick it up.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by specknation View Post
If the boat your are buying is legally reg. in Florida you just have to pay tax on trailer No other tax on boat or motor, make sure you get some type of bill of sale to complete your
paperwork with LDWF to transfer reg. to Louisiana.
In Alabama the boat and trailer are registered together. Don't know about Florida. Still, I don't think he'd have to pay any taxes on the hull itself if transferring to Louisiana.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default Hate to tell you..

but I just did this two years ago and I had to pay state taxes and parish taxes on the amount that was on the title transfer. Now the guy did give me a break on the amount that he listed on the title so I wouldn't have to pay as much on my taxes here. The boat was legally listed to him as a Florida business or else he wouldn't have been able to sell it to me. As for an individual seller, you may get by with just the trailer on that. Most of the time though you are going to either have to pay state taxes there or here. If you didn't have to go through the registration process there would probably be a lot of non-payment of taxes, but alas, the parish, state, and wildlife and fisheries have their hand out for taxes and fees.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,083

In La if the boat has been registered, has FL 1234 AB etc on the side, previously in any other state then you will not owe tax on boat, motor, or accessories. You will owe city, parish and state taxes as well as lic and title fees to the DMV. LDWF will make you jump through a few hoops but no taxes. A marine survey is like an appraisal and physical of a water craft. It's much more common with larger more expensive boats (offshore boats) but does happen on long distance sales too. It may set you back a few hundred dollars but would allow you to thoroughly "see" the boat without killing two days with travel. Google certified marine surveyor in the general area of that boat to find one or PM me if you need some help
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Question

you'll need an extended tranny warranty to pull that with a 1/2 ton chevy

life is short go get it!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
but I just did this two years ago and I had to pay state taxes and parish taxes on the amount that was on the title transfer. Now the guy did give me a break on the amount that he listed on the title so I wouldn't have to pay as much on my taxes here. The boat was legally listed to him as a Florida business or else he wouldn't have been able to sell it to me. As for an individual seller, you may get by with just the trailer on that. Most of the time though you are going to either have to pay state taxes there or here. If you didn't have to go through the registration process there would probably be a lot of non-payment of taxes, but alas, the parish, state, and wildlife and fisheries have their hand out for taxes and fees.
This being a used boat with valid FL reg. no tax will be collected on this boat just on trailer. If the boat is new never reg. you will have to pay parish and state tax on boat and trailer, just did it 2 months ago and is a pain in the butt to get done.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

I have a 1/2 ton chevy and the same boat and it pulls it. The truck doesn't like it very much but pulls it. I get the about the same numbers as cutty posted as far as gas milleage.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
call the DMV and ask about taxes and legal paper work and when you get off the phone call back and ask someone else and when you get done call a title place near your home and then call the state and lawf. I have bought trailers, trucks, 4-wheelers and other stuff out of state and it always gets screwed up when i trry to get the paper work done, our wonderful state likes to change stuff and has crazy rules one stuff like this. If i found somthin out of state that was a steal i would buy agin but belive me call and ask about title and such sevral times and then agin just before you leave.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
call the DMV and ask about taxes and legal paper work and when you get off the phone call back and ask someone else and when you get done call a title place near your home and then call the state and lawf. I have bought trailers, trucks, 4-wheelers and other stuff out of state and it always gets screwed up when i trry to get the paper work done, our wonderful state likes to change stuff and has crazy rules one stuff like this. If i found somthin out of state that was a steal i would buy agin but belive me call and ask about title and such sevral times and then agin just before you leave.
Geez that sucks that its that disorganized. I hope he responses soon and I can make my decision.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Ling

Quote:

Well i just talked to a boat mechanic, my cousin, and he knows a lot about this subject and he said all i have to pay taxes on is the trailer. He mentioned its a ton of paperwork tho
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Well i just talked to a boat mechanic, my cousin, and he knows a lot about this subject and he said all i have to pay taxes on is the trailer. He mentioned its a ton of paperwork tho
they like to sneak stuff on you for sure if its from out of state but like i said i have bought and will buy stuff out of state agin if its a good deal. the last time i bought somthin i just went and told them i wanted a copy of everything i would need and they gave it to me and i made the person in texas use what i had and even made them notarize every paper signed
Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Ling

Well I talked with the seller last week and had made plans to visit with him Saturday (he has to fly in from Seattle, otherwise I would have already been there) and he tells me yesterday that someone has just paid him for the boat....

frikin sucks terribly!!!!!!!!!

so if anyone of you know where i can find a good deal on a 22-24ft boat let me know. Looking for something with gunnel rod holders, jump seats, and newer than 2005