SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 566
Default Advice For Holly Beach Area?

Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are going to Holly Beach this coming week and hoping to catch a few fish. I've read up a little and know water clarity is important there, I prefer live shrimp if I can get them maybe top water early.
I did my years surf fishing in Florida and used small pin fish a lot and caught some nice fish, just wondering if anyone uses them this far west?
Also looking at the sat image, I was wondering about the rock jettys off to the west a little bit and if that is where we should work it, I have fished them at Grande Isle and caught nice fish on them. Also I don't see any inlets going up into the marsh except the entrances of the two lakes on either side of Holly Beach, was wondering if any of the holes inshore have fish in them?
Thanks for any tips guys!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Alot of people fish those jetties to the west. Also if you head north up hwy 27 there are a few places to fish, just make sure you are at a recreation area with parking because you can't just stop on side of the road to crab or fish.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Sand Trout

Does anybody gig flounder around them parts?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Water has to be really clear to gig and right now it's not clear enough with the rain and winds we have been having.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Sand Trout

I appreciate it gentlemen, I'm looking forward to being down there!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Keep in mind, the winds have to be almost calm for 2 days before the water clears up and trout fishing gets good.

Or....the wind needs to come from the north for 2 days.

Live shrimp should catch something.....if a cork is not catching, take it off and fish the bottom.

If you just want to catch something......try cut bait or crabs out near the ends of the rocks. There has been lots of reports of sharks being caught there in the last few weeks. You also might catch a big Red fish.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

You may know this but bring some old shoes if you plan on wading out and climbing on the rocks. My nephew came with me barefoot and tore his feet all up, but he was too hard headed to listen when I warned him. Climbing up barefoot isn't bad, it is getting down that is rough.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for the tips, I climbed up on them at Grande Isle and yep I always wore shoes.
My question after looking at the aerials is that there are two different lines of rocks, some of them further off the shore and some up real close. I can't tell anything about the water depth but when I fished grande isle it was about 5 foot at the base of the rocks. Which is better? Out further or in closer? I have caught trout 5 feet from the shoreline in Grande Isle before. Also the wind at the time we will be there is changing daily but always from the south in some direction. I imagine thats going to muddy it up pretty good huh? Also any flounders caught there? I'd like to drag a few shrimp over them. If yall gonna be there next weekend yall come by I be makin some serious seafood gumbo and I is purty good at it!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,318

There's only one line of rocks.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Sand Trout

nawe there are two end to end but still two
Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Water depth to the "closer" in rocks is 3 to 4 feet.....depending on tides.

Not real sure on the rocks farther west, but I think you have to do some swimming to get to those.

There are some days where you can catch trout and red fish and not get your feet wet. Usually when there is schools of bait fish, the trout are near by.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Water depth to the "closer" in rocks is 3 to 4 feet.....depending on tides.

Not real sure on the rocks farther west, but I think you have to do some swimming to get to those.

There are some days where you can catch trout and red fish and not get your feet wet. Usually when there is schools of bait fish, the trout are near by.
Correct on the water depth. Closer rocks get to about 4'. Further west rocks will be over your head unless you are over 6'. Not many flounder caught in the surf right there. Might have better luck wading closer to the channel for the flounder.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Flounder

Cash: 711

We use to catch a lot of flounder down there, but havent caught any in a long time. That was before they pumped in all the sand. We also use to gig in the surf, but it has to be just right. We usually target reds, because of water color, but if you catch it right, there are some nice trout out there around the rocks. I always start close to shore though, because sometimes the bait and reds are running between the shore and rocks. My PB speck was caught on cut bait out there.

Be carefull if climbing on the rocks at low tide. My brother and his inlaws almost drowned out there after fishing all night on those rock. The tide came in hard and it was over their head. Of course they had also finished off a 5th of jim bean. That may have had something to do with it.