SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfish246 View Post
So the cocahoes are gulf killifish right? Do you use large ones or will flounder sized work? Does the black sea bass rig I posted above work or should I set it up differently?

Thanks a lot everyone. You have all been so helpful and are getting me so so so excited to get down there!!!!
yes gulf killifish = cocahoes or mud minnows down here. You can probably catch all you want with that rig and a cocahoe if you are in deeper water and just want to sit and fish, but you may catch lots of unndesirable fish. A dead shrimp on that rig will keep you very busy with all kinds of fish If you can get a kayak, may want to just get a popping cork, a little weight and a hook with a cocahoe on it and fish the edge of the marsh. The points and cuts in the marsh are a good place to start especially if the tide is moving. You can have the cork pole set out and throw something else as well, like a gold spoon, spinnerbait or whatever else you want to throw. You are in for a treat man
Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Man if you there for the Oilmans Rodeo someone did you a favor!

It the Thursday-Sunday before Memorial Day. Good times,
Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

If you cant get a canoe or anything, there is a bayou that runs just behind luncon, You can walk to it from the parking lot and wet a line.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta37 View Post
You are in for a treat next week is the Houma oilmans fishing rodeo. I will be down there all week.
Sweet! Unfortunately, I will be working from dawn to dusk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
I caught specks by the light in the back of LUMCON at night when I was there quite a few years ago. Also if you go out on the boat with them and pull the trawl don't let them throw the shrimp back. Ask if you can keep them because if you don't they will throw them back.
I will have to try that. I have never been down to LUMCON so I dont know if I will meet the people pulling the trawl (my crew does minnow traps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
I will be in cocodrie wed-sat next week. What time durring the day are you free? I dont know what days I have people fishing with me but if the boat is not full you are more than welcome to come. PM me your number.
Thanks man! Much appreciated!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
yes gulf killifish = cocahoes or mud minnows down here. You can probably catch all you want with that rig and a cocahoe if you are in deeper water and just want to sit and fish, but you may catch lots of unndesirable fish. A dead shrimp on that rig will keep you very busy with all kinds of fish If you can get a kayak, may want to just get a popping cork, a little weight and a hook with a cocahoe on it and fish the edge of the marsh. The points and cuts in the marsh are a good place to start especially if the tide is moving. You can have the cork pole set out and throw something else as well, like a gold spoon, spinnerbait or whatever else you want to throw. You are in for a treat man
What undesirable fish do people catch? I love catching new fish, and at this point catching any fish is my goal! I am so excited! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Man if you there for the Oilmans Rodeo someone did you a favor!

It the Thursday-Sunday before Memorial Day. Good times,
It is just the date they picked for us to do our research. I am hoping the weather is good! What is there to do at the Rodeo? Is it close to LUMCON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
If you cant get a canoe or anything, there is a bayou that runs just behind luncon, You can walk to it from the parking lot and wet a line.
Sweet! I will have to check it out! A bayou is the marsh creek where the boats are docked correct? (sorry still learning the southern lingo)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Undesirable fish pretty much depends on the catcher. The main thing would be what we call a hardhead catfish. No idea what its real name is. Other than that you could possibly catch; sheephead, redfish, slack drum, speckled trout, black drum, croaker, flounder, and I am sure I missed some.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Undesirable fish pretty much depends on the catcher. The main thing would be what we call a hardhead catfish. No idea what its real name is. Other than that you could possibly catch; sheephead, redfish, slack drum, speckled trout, black drum, croaker, flounder, and I am sure I missed some.
I would love to catch a hardhead cat (and all of the others). They have the venomous spines right? I never caught one before so I could add it to the list of fish species I have caught! All of those fish would be awesome to catch. I just watched the only youtube video I could find of fishing near LUMCON and it is exactly what you guys explained. They were fishing under a light at night using shrimp. I assume it was on the bottom (due to the cats and toadfish).

Man, it would be soooooo amazing if I could pull this off!!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Latravcha,

That is a fine gesture; good on you for offering to take this young man out.

Dogfish, you need to find a way to make the trip with Latravcha if you can. I hope you have a good time. Make sure you eat some crawfish and fresh shrimp while you are down. If you really want to spoil yourself, get yourself some boudin. By the time you eat the boudin, shrimp, crawfish and crabs, you will be crying about having to go back to Jersey.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Latravcha,

That is a fine gesture; good on you for offering to take this young man out.

Dogfish, you need to find a way to make the trip with Latravcha if you can. I hope you have a good time. Make sure you eat some crawfish and fresh shrimp while you are down. If you really want to spoil yourself, get yourself some boudin. By the time you eat the boudin, shrimp, crawfish and crabs, you will be crying about having to go back to Jersey.
Yea a few people have come out and offered me a spot to go fishing. It was so nice! Gives me hope for people! I really dont think I will be able to get out on a boat because my research takes all day and we only have a week to do do 6 months of research lol...

I will let everyone know how I did when I get back... I am so excited! Thanks everyone for all the kind advice and help! It is much appreciated!

Any other advice is still welcomed! Thanks a lot guys! You dont know how grateful I am of everyone reaching out!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Sand Trout

Just a quick update... Thanks everyone so so soooooo much for the advice! So far I caught a hardhead cat, 26in red, and a gar!

Dont have internet and phone roaming charges are crazy! Try to keep you posted!

Thanks so much again everyone! Made my trip catching these fish.
Speckled trout next!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Swordfish

Good deal. Specks are moving out the marsh if they haven't already. You may have a tough time catching without a boat.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Good deal. Specks are moving out the marsh if they haven't already. You may have a tough time catching without a boat.
Got one last night! Caught 20ish fish in total. One speckled trout, 15 Reds ( 2 of them were 26in), some silver perch, and an oyster toadfish!

This is great!!!!!!! So awesome down here! If this storm passes I will try again tonight.

P.S. The fights are amazing on a collapsible freshwater rod with 10lb test
Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Got one last night! Caught 20ish fish in total. One speckled trout, 15 Reds ( 2 of them were 26in), some silver perch, and an oyster toadfish!

This is great!!!!!!! So awesome down here! If this storm passes I will try again tonight.

P.S. The fights are amazing on a collapsible freshwater rod with 10lb test

Weather should be out of here soon, glad you enjoying South LA.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Holy crap. You did better than most of the guys on this site
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Weather should be out of here soon, glad you enjoying South LA.
I am loving it down here! The weather has been great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
Holy crap. You did better than most of the guys on this site
Yea, I really have this redfish thing down! Haven't gotten skunked yet (thanks to you guys)! Caught a dozen or so last night with a few black drum pups mixed in, 20-30 the night before with a speck in the mix, and tonight will be my last night fishing. Last night was so buggy but I just sucked it up and it was worth it! Gotta make the most of my time down here . I wish I had a pan, oil, and some flour because I would love to try a redfish! Next time...

I will let you know how it goes tonight, and then I will post some pics when I get back home!

Thanks again everyone. All your help has made this trip amazing! The science is going well too btw. I started my experiment and should be back in a few months to continue!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

Fillet that red off the bone leave scales on. Baste, season, and the throw that in oven or on pit scale side down. Cook for 20is mins. For a specific recipe just search this site they have hundreds of ways to cook a red. Frying would probably be at the bottom. C'est Bon.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
Fillet that red off the bone leave scales on. Baste, season, and the throw that in oven or on pit scale side down. Cook for 20is mins. For a specific recipe just search this site they have hundreds of ways to cook a red. Frying would probably be at the bottom. C'est Bon.
Prob is I am at a dorm so no kitchen.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,045

There is a wooden structure behind LUMCON in the marsh that you can drive to. There is a deep washout off the north side I fished with live shrimp there on the bottom and wore the reds out. May catch trout at night as well if there are still lights. Gonna be a big party down there for sure with the Houma Oilmans Tourny.
Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Swordfish

What they feeding you guys down there?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
I am loving it down here! The weather has been great!

Yea, I really have this redfish thing down! Haven't gotten skunked yet (thanks to you guys)! Caught a dozen or so last night with a few black drum pups mixed in, 20-30 the night before with a speck in the mix, and tonight will be my last night fishing. Last night was so buggy but I just sucked it up and it was worth it! Gotta make the most of my time down here . I wish I had a pan, oil, and some flour because I would love to try a redfish! Next time...

I will let you know how it goes tonight, and then I will post some pics when I get back home!

Thanks again everyone. All your help has made this trip amazing! The science is going well too btw. I started my experiment and should be back in a few months to continue!
Never in my life have I seen as many bugs as last night on the way down to Dulac. It looked like a fog under a few gas stations.

Well done on the fishing! My report a little later.